Program to make edges of .jpeg more sharp?

Hey guys,

I have a .jpeg that is fairly low quality (309x401px) that is mostly lines and so on (no photo of anything). Is there any program to make it bigger while keeping a decent quality? It would also be fine for me if it just makes the picture bigger so I can then later correct the edges in paint (which is highly professional software btw).

Thanks in advance :) 

Maybe try redrawing it in Inkscape

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This. Upscaling and sharpening JPEGs will degrade the quality of your image, regardless of the software you use. Inkscape is a free vector editing program that's fairly simple to use. I personally prefer Adobe Illustrator, so if you have access to that program, (definitely not free, lol) use that instead.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

1 minute ago, BucklingSpring said:

This. Upscaling and sharpening JPEGs will degrade the quality of your image, regardless of the software you use. Inkscape is a free vector editing program that's fairly simple to use. I personally prefer Adobe Illustrator, so if you have access to that program, (definitely not free, lol) use that instead.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that... And I mostly want to get rid of the blurr around the edges that appear when printing such a small .jpeg in A4...

Personally I'd use Photoshop CC. First I'd clone the layer, then apply a blur filter: Filter / Blur / Smart Blur, adjust the sliders to keep edges intact while cleaning up the jpg noise/artifacts. Make sure this blurred layer is on top. If extra retouching is needed, then I would use the eraser tool to gradually bring back the details that were lost in the blur (i.e. the unedited original layer is below) with extra care and attention near the worst of the jpg artifacting. 

3 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

Personally I'd use Photoshop CC. First I'd clone the layer, then apply a blur filter: Filter / Blur / Smart Blur, adjust the sliders to keep edges intact while cleaning up the jpg noise/artifacts. Make sure this blurred layer is on top. If extra retouching is needed, then I would use the eraser tool to gradually bring back the details that were lost in the blur (i.e. the unedited original layer is below) with extra care and attention near the worst of the jpg artifacting. 

Personally, i would love to have money :D

My budget is more made for MS Paint ^^

Thanks for the advice tho :) 

Use a free Jpg to Vector website like Vector Magic. Should do exactly what you need!

There was an option I used in Paint Shop Pro (lolwut) called "Edge Preserving Smooth", which on top of its JPEG artifact removal, did clean up images that were more or less solid color.

It didn't make them sharper or anything for upscaling though. That requires vectorizing the image.

58 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Personally, i would love to have money :D

My budget is more made for MS Paint ^^

Thanks for the advice tho :) 

A few options there.

First is the 30-day free trial, so you can do your one-off edit and be done with it. After that it's a $10/mo subscription, so you could pay to use it when you want to. Lastly, they offer a discounted subscription for students, so if you have a .edu email address, you can sign up for that to get Photoshop CC for $30/year, if I remember correctly.