Kaby Lake & Skylake X

Why is it that skylake x is given more than 6 cores while kaby lake x is not? i just find this confusing as kaby lake is intel's newest chipset.

2 minutes ago, Luke32800 said:

Why is it that skylake x is given more than 6 cores while kaby lake x is not? i just find this confusing as kaby lake is intel's newest chipset.

OMG I have the exact same question.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

This should sum it up for ya: 

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 PRO CARBON AC | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz |
Phaneks Evolv Tempered Glass | Seasonic FOCUS Gold+ 750W |
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | 860 EVO 500GB | 850 PRO 256GB | Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM

1 minute ago, TechyInAZ said:

This should sum it up for ya: 

I watched it. It showed no information regarding it. It just told about how rushed everything was, and how confusing everything is.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

2 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

I watched it. It showed no information regarding it. It just told about how rushed everything was, and how confusing everything is.

he states that 'they literally took the consumer Kaby Lake CPU and stapled a 2099 socket onto it'

that's all it is

this isn't an actual release of a high end platform, that's Skylake-X. it's mainstream CPUs that have been put on the high end platform for some reason??

idk

I'm just SO happy I decided to OC and mess around with my computer before upgrading, because about two months ago I was going to be upgrading to 2011-v3. I would have been so PISSED if this came out after I was done upgrading. Because NVIDIA already did this to me with my GTX 1080. I had the "top card" for about a month before their new flagship Titan came out. But that is just one component, this would of been my whole system so I would of lost it to be honest.

CASE: Thermaltake Armor Plus

MOBO: EVGA X79 FTW

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 CPU

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080

RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR3 16GB

SSD: Samsung 850 PRO

HDD: VelociRaptor 300GB

Cooling: Kraken X60

Just now, XiuzSu said:

I'm just SO happy I decided to OC and mess around with my computer before upgrading, because about two months ago I was going to be upgrading to 2011-v3. I would of been so PISSED if this came out after I was done upgrading. Because NVIDIA already did this to me with my GTX 1080. I had the "top card" for about a month before their new flagship Titan came out.

2011-V3 has no point as Ryzen could match the performance in most tasks with ease at a significantly lower price. 

now, Intel strikes back. Will it be shit? Let's hope it isn't. 

idk

As long as they offer a really good 6 or 8 core choice, I'm down.

I agree but I'm an Intel guy. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a high marks chip because for a while now they have been making conservative chips, more energy efficient than powerful (I believe Linus made a video about it), but now that AMD is stepping up Intel is surely going to release some power hungry beast to go back to being on top.

13 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

2011-V3 has no point as Ryzen could match the performance in most tasks with ease at a significantly lower price. 

40 PCIe lanes for the 5930K/6850K and up. Also, Haswell-E clocks better than Ryzen, by a significant margin. Anyone that needs both high single core performance and more than 4 cores is going to benefit more from Haswell-E than Ryzen. Then there's quad channel memory, virtualization, AVX performance.

Anyone that needs more than 24/28 PCIe lanes from the CPU, and 6-8 cores, aren't going to look at Ryzen, or X299, as neither product stack offers that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Because, quite frankly, Kaby is a refined, and iGPu update, of Skylake. The only advantage a 6+ core Kaby could bring over Skylake-X is a slight overclocking increase. With X99/X299 being targeted partially as a professional platform, the psuedo-improvements wouldn't be overly welcome as an update to Skylake-X.

Quite frankly, Skylake-X should have never existed, or should have been the lower end SKUs of X299. Kaby-X should have been the higher core count parts, leveraging its better power efficiency to bring up stock clocks, even by a small amount.

Kaby-X is a stupid product. It has zero advantages over Kaby Lake, and no real purpose that can ever actually justify it being on X299.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Well, I just finished watching the video for the second time.

I guess I'm not upgrading anytime soon, good thing I joined this forums! :)

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

40 PCIe lanes for the 5930K/6850K and up. Also, Haswell-E clocks better than Ryzen, by a significant margin. Anyone that needs both high single core performance and more than 4 cores is going to benefit more from Haswell-E than Ryzen. Then there's quad channel memory, virtualization, AVX performance.

Anyone that needs more than 24/28 PCIe lanes from the CPU, and 6-8 cores, aren't going to look at Ryzen, or X299, as neither product stack offers that.

6-core and 8-core Skylake-X CPUs offer 28 lanes afaik.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Because, quite frankly, Kaby is a refined, and iGPu update, of Skylake. The only advantage a 6+ core Kaby could bring over Skylake-X is a slight overclocking increase. With X99/X299 being targeted partially as a professional platform, the psuedo-improvements wouldn't be overly welcome as an update to Skylake-X.

Quite frankly, Skylake-X should have never existed, or should have been the lower end SKUs of X299. Kaby-X should have been the higher core count parts, leveraging its better power efficiency to bring up stock clocks, even by a small amount.

Kaby-X is a stupid product. It has zero advantages over Kaby Lake, and no real purpose that can ever actually justify it being on X299.

Yup the only reason I can see is because ryzen am4 ranges from 4 to 8 cores on one platform, plus all the apus that will be out in the future on it they pretty much covered all of the current intel chips on one platform 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933