Amplifier Wattage

Go to solution Solved by Doramius,

As Majestic said, having a stronger amp is suggested, but be careful of how much of a stronger amp you use.  Too low and you may run DC.  However, there are filters that prevent this.  Go too strong on the amp, and you may risk blowing the speaker.  Not all speakers show evidence they'll blow.  Many people will add a visualizer or look for equipment with a visualizer so they can calibrate it to where the peak is in or just past the red.  Then you can adjust your output to prevent blowing your speakers or other connected equipment.  

Hi,

I'm just getting into Audio, and I wanted to know the answer to an important question. If I have a speaker of 60w power (70w peak), can I use an amp that has a wattage of 2x80w or 2x160w? Will the amplifier correct itself, so that it wont give too much juice to the speakers? Here is a link to a few amps that I have in mind:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabaj-A3-Bluetooth-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B01N10PF4B/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496413975&sr=8-1&keywords=sabaj+a3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SA-98E-TDA7498E-Stereo-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B015J0P7VM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496414025&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=drok+2x160w

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M662N3N?psc=1

THANKS!

I actually really do appreciate the help.

It's usually better to have the amplifier be higher wattage than the speakers itself. It may appear counterintuitive, but if you know how they operate it's not so weird. Suffice to say, if you have 70W speakers being driven by a 35W amplifier, you run the risk of the amplifier clipping and sending a DC current to the coils. This is usually how most speakers actually die.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

It's usually better to have the amplifier be higher wattage than the speakers itself. 

Really appreciate the response. Does that mean I can use the 80W amp with the 70W speakers? If I max out the amp, does that mean 70W go to the speaker or 80W, because if it is 80W, wouldn't the speaker die? Hope you understood that :D

Just now, DuckdulMP said:

Really appreciate the response. Does that mean I can use the 80W amp with the 70W speakers? If I max out the amp, does that mean 70W go to the speaker or 80W, because if it is 80W, wouldn't the speaker die? Hope you understood that :D

You will notice warping of the sound way before you kill it.

As Majestic said, having a stronger amp is suggested, but be careful of how much of a stronger amp you use.  Too low and you may run DC.  However, there are filters that prevent this.  Go too strong on the amp, and you may risk blowing the speaker.  Not all speakers show evidence they'll blow.  Many people will add a visualizer or look for equipment with a visualizer so they can calibrate it to where the peak is in or just past the red.  Then you can adjust your output to prevent blowing your speakers or other connected equipment.  

REALLY appreciate your replies. Hope you both have a good day.