Do I need to purchase a new key for windows if I upgrade my Motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by ashypanda,
Just now, Draconid said:

So should I buy myself a new key? I decided not to upgrade to Windows 10 as I didn't like the look of it and the idea of everything changing, but now I realize that was a big mistake >.< 

you should have upgraded to at least get the key, as you could have always rolled back to W8.1, but you can always get a free key from the insider program or you can try to get the upgrade through here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade 

Hello, 

This may be a silly question, but lately I've been looking to upgrade my old (pre-built) PC to a Ryzen 5 1600, therefore I had to purchase myself a new Motherboard and DDR4 RAM along with the CPU, so my question is: Do I have to purchase a new key for windows if I change out my Motherboard, CPU, and RAM??? 

Nope.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

6 minutes ago, Draconid said:

Okay, thanks alot: got a bit worried there :D

Was it prebuilt by a shop or a manufacturer by Dell,HP/Compaq,etc? If by a shop,then chances are 50/50 (they could have used a OEM license,or maybe a Retail license,OEM licenses can't be transfered) and if by HP/Compaq,etc,other manufacturer's,then yes,you have to buy another product key since there is no chance the license is retail

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

Was it prebuilt by a shop or a manufacturer by Dell,HP/Compaq,etc? If by a shop,then chances are 50/50 (they could have used a OEM license,or maybe a Retail license,OEM licenses can't be transfered) and if by HP/Compaq,etc,other manufacturer's,then yes,you have to buy another product key since there is no chance the license is retail

I originally bought the PC from Ebuyer A very long time ago (4-5 years maybe?)

only if you've linked your key to your MS account, as it'll have an option in the activation menu to say you've made a significant hardware change, to transfer the key.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Just now, ashypanda said:

only if you've linked your key to your MS account, as it'll have an option in the activation menu to say you've made a significant hardware change, to transfer the key.

Oh, :( I've linked my key to my Microsoft account and while back.

1 minute ago, Draconid said:

I originally bought the PC from Ebuyer A very long time ago (4-5 years maybe?)

Easiest way is to go in System Properties and scroll down untill you see the license thing where it says "Windows is activated" and check if there is any word as "OEM" in the serial number/whatever is below it

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

1 minute ago, ashypanda said:

I don't think a OEM key can be transfered,a Retail one can,and there is no need to link it to the MS account (AFAIK)

Just now, Draconid said:

Oh, :( I've linked my key to my Microsoft account and while back.

then when you install the new motherboard, or reinstall windows just install it without entering a key, then you can find the option when installation and setup has finished.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 minute ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Easiest way is to go in System Properties and scroll down untill you see the license thing where it says "Windows is activated" and check if there is any word as "OEM" in the serial number/whatever is below it

Yeah I'm pretty sure I have an OEM version of windows :/

https://gyazo.com/01aca74a87a89d8ef1015b62aec1d5a7

I don't think a OEM key can be transfered,a Retail one can,and there is no need to link it to the MS account (AFAIK)

it can do as i got a digital entitlement key from an OEM W8.1 install, as that's the key you get when you upgraded to W10 from W7, and W8.1.

ah you're still running W8.1, you can only transfer keys with W10.

it can do as i got a digital entitlement key from an OEM W8.1 install, as that's the key you get when you upgraded to W10 from W7, and W8.1.

If you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 using that key or from the free upgrade offer,it will work either way,you don't need to link the key to the MS-Account,it is not STORED in the MS account or whatever to UPGRADE to Windows 10,you can use a unlinked legit Windows 7/8/8.1 OEM/Retail key to install Windows 10

If you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 using that key or from the free upgrade offer,it will work either way,you don't need to link the key to the MS-Account,it is not STORED in the MS account or whatever to UPGRADE to Windows 10,you can use a unlinked legit Windows 7/8/8.1 OEM/Retail key to install Windows 10

I was thinking of purchasing one of Kinguin https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

you need to link it so the key can be used through different motherboards, as when i had to change my motherboard my new board wouldn't activate because it didn't have a key assigned on MS's activation servers, so i had to create a user account with my MS account to be able to transfer the key from my old motherboard to my new motherboard.

you need to link it so the key can be used through different motherboards, as when i had to change my motherboard my new board wouldn't activate because it didn't have a key assigned on MS's activation servers, so i had to create a user account with my MS account to be able to transfer the key from my old motherboard to my new motherboard.

You used a retail key or a OEM key

it was an OEM key with W8.1 which got converted to a W10 digital entitlement key when i upgraded, but the key is linked to the HW ID of the motherboard used to upgrade from.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12440/windows-10-activation

2 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

it was an OEM key with W8.1 which got converted to a W10 digital entitlement key when i upgraded, but the key is linked to the HW ID of the motherboard used to upgrade from.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12440/windows-10-activation

So should I buy myself a new key? I decided not to upgrade to Windows 10 as I didn't like the look of it and the idea of everything changing, but now I realize that was a big mistake >.< 

Just now, Draconid said:

you should have upgraded to at least get the key, as you could have always rolled back to W8.1, but you can always get a free key from the insider program or you can try to get the upgrade through here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade 

2 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

Okay, I think the link you sent me has worked, so now when I put in my new parts and I sign in with my account it should allow me to install windows 10? Oh and thanks for the help :)

1 minute ago, Draconid said:

Okay, I think the link you sent me has worked, so now when I put in my new parts and I sign in with my account it should allow me to install windows 10? Oh and thanks for the help :)

also read the bottom of this page https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12440/windows-10-activation as it says what to do in  the case of hardware changes.

2 minutes ago, Draconid said:

one last thing do NOT enter a key when doing a clean install.

Oh okay thanks :p, Um what do I do if it does ask for one?