None vs Windows Sonic vs Dolby Atmos

Windows Spatial Audio Setting  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spatial sound setting have you had a better sound experience with?

• None
    • Windows Sonic
    • Dolby Atmos
    • Other?(If that's even possible)

Anybody know if there are any reviews or comparisons out there for the options in that new Windows Creator's update feature, that one in the sound settings called "Spatial sound"? Like a comparison or review for the three options:

• None(as in no spatial surround, the setting is turned off)
  • Windows Sonic
  • Dolby Headphones

I tried out all three to see if I can hear any difference. I kinda heard some fuzziness or warbling or something with the music I was playing with the Windows sonic but I don't know it sounded alright with one of those surround test videos on YouTube. I tried them out wearing my Harmon-Kardon IENC's.

Also it might be nice to mention I have Nahimic 2 running in the backgound.

I have it "per profile" within Logitech Gaming Software on my G430. Some games sound a little crisper with DTS, others with Dolby, and some games, like Age of Empires, with none.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 hours ago, Reetik2000 said:

Anybody know if there are any reviews or comparisons out there for the options in that new Windows Creator's update feature, that one in the sound settings called "Spatial sound"? Like a comparison or review for the three options:

• None(as in no spatial surround, the setting is turned off)
  • Windows Sonic
  • Dolby Headphones

I tried out all three to see if I can hear any difference. I kinda heard some fuzziness or warbling or something with the music I was playing with the Windows sonic but I don't know it sounded alright with one of those surround test videos on YouTube. I tried them out wearing my Harmon-Kardon IENC's.

Also it might be nice to mention I have Nahimic 2 running in the backgound.

Dolby Atmos Theater - will give you give great sound, but you need the speaker setup for it, and you need the content. It is an extra charge to get the codec.

Dolby Atmos Headphone - will emulated Atmos. You still need the content and you still need to get the paying codec.

Windows Sonic is an effect applied everywhere. Up to you and taste.

None is the way to go for the true, best sound for most content and music. If you have Blu-ray content with Dolby Atmos, and you want to get it, then get Dolby Atmos codec.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I tried them out for a couple weeks and I found that usually when I'm playing music or watching videos or something, Atmos is the way to go, but if I'm playing Rainbow Six: Siege, Windows Sonic gives the best results.

I've also found, and this was when I first started using Windows Sonic while I play R6:Seige, it is more of an "experience". I almost got a freaking heart attack.

Basically it went down like this: It was absolutely silent. No one shooting or anything. Everybody was being super careful and quietly sneaking around. Right as I'm about to turn a corner and go through this doorway, so apparently there was also a Jäger on the other side of the wall sneaking to that same doorway that I was headed towards. We both abruptly ran into each other like right in each other's faces as we both took a hard turn into the same doorway. Normally it wouldn't be that scary, but with Windows Sonic on it was a major jump scare since the sound of the immediate encounter and the gunshots were amplified and kinda echoed in the virtual surround.

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2017 at 8:35 PM, Reetik2000 said:

Yeah I tried them out for a couple weeks and I found that usually when I'm playing music or watching videos or something, Atmos is the way to go, but if I'm playing Rainbow Six: Siege, Windows Sonic gives the best results.

I've also found, and this was when I first started using Windows Sonic while I play R6:Seige, it is more of an "experience". I almost got a freaking heart attack.

Basically it went down like this: It was absolutely silent. No one shooting or anything. Everybody was being super careful and quietly sneaking around. Right as I'm about to turn a corner and go through this doorway, so apparently there was also a Jäger on the other side of the wall sneaking to that same doorway that I was headed towards. We both abruptly ran into each other like right in each other's faces as we both took a hard turn into the same doorway. Normally it wouldn't be that scary, but with Windows Sonic on it was a major jump scare since the sound of the immediate encounter and the gunshots were amplified and kinda echoed in the virtual surround.

Yes imho too I get a "better" experience playing R6S with Windows Sonic.

I got Steelseries Siberia 350, they are not by any mean a great headset, but for me they are really confortable. But their DTS surround sounds like... s***... it has a good spacial effect tho. But with both Dolby atmos and Windows Sonic I get a great sound experience, thing is that with atmos I get a "cinematic" feeling, but then with windows sonic I get a more immersive, more detailed knowledge of my surrounding in that game. 

EDIT: words