Choosing a Mini ITX Motherboard (New)

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,
5 hours ago, MysterioJames said:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-Standard-Noise-Case/dp/B002KTVFTE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1496114165&sr=8-11&keywords=Case+Fans

These are those Arctic Case Fans I was mentioning.

The MSI GeForce GTX 1070 is open-air fan style meaning it will exhaust air into my case, so what I should get are 2 fans that exhaust maybe on the top and 2 fans that inhale on the back.

That may potentially work.

My best recommendation (both for budget and performance reasons) would be to leave the top of your case empty, keep the 200mm in the front, and add one 120/140mm to the rear exhaust of the case. That is really all you need. adding 2 more fans in the top of your case wouldn't really be beneficial to airflow, and would likely leave you with negative air pressure if you don't balance it just right.

Just now, MysterioJames said:

Snip

Anywho, one more thing to note about this motherboard. It doesn't have any USB 2.0 headers on it. I didn't mention this before since your case doesn't have any USB 2.0 ports on it so it probably won't matter to you, but its worth considering if you ever felt like switching cases.

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

1. That is your wifi antenna. Most wifi technology cones with some sort of antenna in the form of little arms coming off of them. These are designed to boost its sending and receiving capabilities. The problem with that is usually your routers and wifi devices are somewhere not to be seen... on a floor, in a corner, under a desk, or so on. This means that the walls and desks surrounding it block a large portion of the signal going out and coming in, so your signal strength is weaker. This thing is designed to be routed from the back of your computer onto your desk so that it can easier send and receive signals without being blocked by your walls and furniture.

2. That is the Fan Extension card I was talking about. It comes with 3x 4pin fan headers and plugs into your motherboard via cable on the top left of the board.

:D Ok now for this next part.

Best 4 pin fans in your opinion?

My case supports...

Front- 120mm x2. 140mm x2 (Included is a 200mm)

Top- 120mm x2. 140mm x2

Rear- 120mm x1. 140mm x1.

I was looking at the ARCTIC F12 PWM Rev. 2 - Fluid Dynamic Bearing Case Fan, 120mm PWM Speed Control

For 120mm case fans.

5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Anywho, one more thing to note about this motherboard. It doesn't have any USB 2.0 headers on it. I didn't mention this before since your case doesn't have any USB 2.0 ports on it so it probably won't matter to you, but its worth considering if you ever felt like switching cases.

I actually love the case I chose, so I am not planning on changing the case until I do a fully new Rig in the future. Cause the Phanteks case I got is very nice for my taste. :D

2 hours ago, MysterioJames said:

Snip

There isn't really any such thing as a "best" fan. I might recommend a Corsair ML120 Pro or a BeQuiet Silent Wing 3... but they're really expensive and more designed for radiators. When it comes to case fans, you don't really need that kind of monetary investment.

Another factor to consider is if your GPU is a blower style fan (like the Founders edition cards) or an open-air fan (like the Asus STRIX cards). blower style coolers exhaust air, so they contribute to overall case airflow whereas open-air coolers do not. this can be important when trying to balance neutral-positive air pressures.

So yes those fans will probably be fine as case fans... most fans are (although I can't find the exact fan to which you are referring, so a link would be helpful).

5 hours ago, Zyndo said:

There isn't really any such thing as a "best" fan. I might recommend a Corsair ML120 Pro or a BeQuiet Silent Wing 3... but they're really expensive and more designed for radiators. When it comes to case fans, you don't really need that kind of monetary investment.

Another factor to consider is if your GPU is a blower style fan (like the Founders edition cards) or an open-air fan (like the Asus STRIX cards). blower style coolers exhaust air, so they contribute to overall case airflow whereas open-air coolers do not. this can be important when trying to balance neutral-positive air pressures.

So yes those fans will probably be fine as case fans... most fans are (although I can't find the exact fan to which you are referring, so a link would be helpful).

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-Standard-Noise-Case/dp/B002KTVFTE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1496114165&sr=8-11&keywords=Case+Fans

The MSI GeForce GTX 1070 is open-air fan style meaning it will exhaust air into my case, so what I should get are 2 fans that exhaust maybe on the top and 2 fans that inhale on the back.

5 hours ago, MysterioJames said:

My best recommendation (both for budget and performance reasons) would be to leave the top of your case empty, keep the 200mm in the front, and add one 120/140mm to the rear exhaust of the case. That is really all you need. adding 2 more fans in the top of your case wouldn't really be beneficial to airflow, and would likely leave you with negative air pressure if you don't balance it just right.

15 hours ago, Zyndo said:

Thank you man. :D Ill be sure to contact you if I have anymore questions or concerns.