Choosing a Mini ITX Motherboard (New)

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,
5 hours ago, MysterioJames said:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-Standard-Noise-Case/dp/B002KTVFTE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1496114165&sr=8-11&keywords=Case+Fans

These are those Arctic Case Fans I was mentioning.

The MSI GeForce GTX 1070 is open-air fan style meaning it will exhaust air into my case, so what I should get are 2 fans that exhaust maybe on the top and 2 fans that inhale on the back.

That may potentially work.

My best recommendation (both for budget and performance reasons) would be to leave the top of your case empty, keep the 200mm in the front, and add one 120/140mm to the rear exhaust of the case. That is really all you need. adding 2 more fans in the top of your case wouldn't really be beneficial to airflow, and would likely leave you with negative air pressure if you don't balance it just right.

Hi all.

I am in need of some assistance in finding a new motherboard. The one I previously wanted ---> https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015FY4HLS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IHWK4KRZJFPZ2&colid=34DUG83DSFVF3

< ASUS LGA1151 DDR4 DisplayPort HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Mini-ITX Motherboard Z170I Pro Gaming>

Has been out of stock on Amazon and NewEgg for the better part of 2-3 months. It sucks cause I really wanted this motherboard. 

It's the last part to finish up my Gaming Rig before I start to build it. 

My PCPartPicker list btw ---> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

<I made sure everything was up to date and current on>

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing

Motherboard: Mini ITX <Suggestions> Was the ASUS LGA1151 Z170i Pro Gaming

Memory: Kingston- HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Storage: Kingston- HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" SSD

Storage 2: Western Digital- Blue 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM HD

GPU: MSI- GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

Case: Phanteks- Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower

PSU: Corsair HXi Series, HX850i, 850W Platinum Certified

Monitor: ASUS- VX238H 23.0"

That is my parts list. I made sure it is completely identical to my Amazon Orders List.

Now than back to the topic at hand... I need suggestions on a Mini ITX MotherBoard. You can check out my case specs, but it's big enough for the ASUS board stated above.

I have everything on my list bought except for the MotherBoard. My price amount for a board is $300-$350.

I will do some looking on my end. Thank you for any help and suggestions. This community is truly one of the best places to be!!!!

Do you have the 6600k yet if not get Ryzen 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

You might want to consider a 1600 instead. It's a bit cheaper and asrock and gigabyte should be out with mini itx boards soon. The stock cooler is also decent.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

15 minutes ago, MysterioJames said:

I have everything on my list bought except for the MotherBoard. My price amount for a board is $300-$350

You should really be going Kaby lake and spending a lot less money on your motherboard. Spend the rest of the budget on improving GPU horsepower, CPU horsepower, or both.

8 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

He should not get Ryzen for two reasons:

1. No Ryzen ITX boards out yet. (there is that Biostar one, but I've not seen it available anywhere since its "release")

2. unlocked intel CPU's are still better for solely gaming than Ryzen is.

As good as Ryzen is, there is still a place for unlocked intel CPU's in a strictly gaming workload.

15 minutes ago, MysterioJames said:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing

Motherboard: Mini ITX <Suggestions> Was the ASUS LGA1151 Z170i Pro Gaming

Memory: Kingston- HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Storage: Kingston- HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" SSD

Storage 2: Western Digital- Blue 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM HD

GPU: MSI- GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

Case: Phanteks- Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower

PSU: Corsair HXi Series, HX850i, 850W Platinum Certified

Monitor: ASUS- VX238H 23.0"

That monitor is really underwhelming for a build like this. do you ever intend on going above 1080p 60hz? if not you could save a ton of money on your build.

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

1. No Ryzen ITX boards out yet. (there is that Biostar one, but I've not seen it available anywhere since its "release")

As good as Ryzen is, there is still a place for unlocked intel CPU's in a strictly gaming workload

Guess what they are releasing more within the next month and Biostar has theirs out and it's real cheap for a brand new Mitx board (but x370) it's $160 Canadian so it's like $140 American 

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

Guess what they are releasing more within the next month and Biostar has theirs out and it's real cheap for a brand new Mitx board (but x370) it's $160 Canadian so it's like $140 American 

Please read what I said. I'm aware of it's exists (both the B350 and X370 versions).... you merely cannot buy it anywhere... And I'm aware of the "they're coming" argument.... but they've been "on the way" for months now and nothing is here. With computex near that could very well change in the coming weeks, but for the time being there is no sense talking about an ITX Ryzen gaming system when Ryzen can't ITX and unlocked intel is better at gaming.

37 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

I do have a 6600K. I think Ill do Ryzen for a build in 2-3 years.

32 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

You should really be going Kaby lake and spending a lot less money on your motherboard. Spend the rest of the budget on improving GPU horsepower, CPU horsepower, or both.

As good as Ryzen is, there is still a place for unlocked intel CPU's in a strictly gaming workload.

That monitor is really underwhelming for a build like this. do you ever intend on going above 1080p 60hz? if not you could save a ton of money on your build.

The monitor was the best for the price. I could always send it back for a new one, but I am going to need suggestions on a better monitor. 

41 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

I do have the 6600k. Everything except the motherboard.

6 minutes ago, MysterioJames said:

Ok 

3 minutes ago, MysterioJames said:

The monitor was the best for the price. I could always send it back for a new one, but I am going to need suggestions on a better monitor. 

Nothing wrong with that monitor. Its actually the one I'm using right now.

8 minutes ago, MysterioJames said:

No.... you should build whatever new hardware is available in 2-3 years. Ryzen will likely be eclipsed by something else (intel or AMD) by then.

Just now, Zyndo said:

Nothing wrong with that monitor. Its actually the one I'm using right now.

No.... you should build whatever new hardware is available in 2-3 years. Ryzen will likely be eclipsed by something else (intel or AMD) by then.

Glad someone enjoys the monitor. Bet others like the monitor too, with it's 1ms response time and great display for the price.

All I need is a motherboard. If it's not Mini ITX, than Ill check my clearance and see what I can put inside.

11 minutes ago, MysterioJames said:

Glad someone enjoys the monitor. Bet others like the monitor too, with it's 1ms response time and great display for the price.

All I need is a motherboard. If it's not Mini ITX, than Ill check my clearance and see what I can put inside.

lol right. well, the pro gaming motherboard is great. however, If your budget is 300-350, why are you not considering the Impact? Its, arguably, the best ITX Motherboard ever made for any platform ever (in relation to its overclocking and gaming performance features). Its only 50 USD more than the gaming pro, but Newegg has a $30 mail-in-rebate going right now for you too... so if you take advantage of that its only $170, and therefore only slightly more pricey than your $150 gaming pro, yet much better.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qsX2FT/asus-motherboard-maximusviiiimpact

If you have the budget to spend, this is probably the best Z170 ITX board on the market IMO.... I wouldn't shy away from it were I you (unless you had good reason to).

It should be noted that one, and pretty much the only, drawback to this motherboard is it does not have a M.2 port anywhere... so high speed M.2 NVMe drives will never be a thing for you. As a gamer its something you will never need (or at the very least never need for the lifespan of this platform) but its something to keep in mind. It DOES have the inclusion of a U.2 port for NVMe drive speeds if you need it, but U.2 drives tend to be considerably more expensive per GB than M.2 are. I certainly wouldn't not get this motherboard for that reason, but its something to keep in mind as for some people that could be a deal breaker.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

lol right. well, the pro gaming motherboard is great. however, If your budget is 300-350, why are you not considering the Impact? Its, arguably, the best ITX Motherboard ever made for any platform ever (in relation to its overclocking and gaming performance features). Its only 50 USD more than the gaming pro, but Newegg has a $30 mail-in-rebate going right now for you too... so if you take advantage of that its only $170, and therefore only slightly more pricey than your $150 gaming pro, yet much better.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qsX2FT/asus-motherboard-maximusviiiimpact

If you have the budget to spend, this is probably the best Z170 ITX board on the market IMO.... I wouldn't shy away from it were I you (unless you had good reason to)

Thank you bro :) your post(s) were arguably the most helpful in terms of what I was looking for, but I appreciate everyone's posts none the less.

Question: Do you have specs on the MB? If not...

How many fan headers?

Does it come with on board Wifi?

Just now, MysterioJames said:

Question: Do you have specs on the MB? If not...

How many fan headers?

Does it come with on board Wifi?

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT/specifications/

If you need specs, always go check out manufacturer website.

Yes it has wifi: 3x3 Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual band 2.4/5GHz

(also has bluetooth 4.1)

There are two native on board fan headers, but it also comes with the Asus "Fan Extension" controller ad in card which gives you the ability for 3 more 4 pin headers, provided you have somewhere you can mount that in your case. the controller is proprietary and connects directly to your motherboard, and allows for BIOS level fan control through their Fan Xpert software.

50 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Please read what I said. I'm aware of it's exists (both the B350 and X370 versions).... you merely cannot buy it anywhere... And I'm aware of the "they're coming" argument.... but they've been "on the way" for months now and nothing is here. With computex near that could very well change in the coming weeks, but for the time being there is no sense talking about an ITX Ryzen gaming system when Ryzen can't ITX and unlocked intel is better at gaming.

There coming within the weeks 

8 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT/specifications/

If you need specs, always go check out manufacturer website.

Yes it has wifi: 3x3 Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual band 2.4/5GHz

(also has bluetooth 4.1)

There are two native on board fan headers, but it also comes with the Asus "Fan Extension" controller ad in card which gives you the ability for 3 more 4 pin headers, provided you have somewhere you can mount that in your case. the controller is proprietary and connects directly to your motherboard, and allows for BIOS level fan control through their Fan Xpert software.

In the image, I circled 1 and 2.

Can you tell me what the first thing is... it's connected to the WIFI GO ports.

Than there is the number 2. thing that looks like an M.2 SSD. It's looks to have headers on it.

MB.PNG

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

There coming within the weeks 

Yes. My point is they've been saying that for a while now. If they ARE coming, that's great news! (my brother actually looking to go ITX and is waiting for these to come out before he does) but all I'm saying is AMD products have a record for promising and not delivering. no sense playing the waiting game for this user if it takes 3 months for his desired ITX boards to be available (unless he's willing to wait).

Even if they DO launch at computex this week, there have been so many people waiting for ITX boards that all of the product could be bought out very quickly and leave him with nothing to use.

Just now, Zyndo said:

Yes. My point is they've been saying that for a while now. If they ARE coming, that's great news! (my brother actually looking to go ITX and is waiting for these to come out before he does) but all I'm saying is AMD products have a record for promising and not delivering. no sense playing the waiting game for this user if it takes 3 months for his desired ITX boards to be available (unless he's willing to wait).

Even if they DO launch at computex this week, there have been so many people waiting for ITX boards that all of the product could be bought out very quickly and leave him with nothing to use.

No it's because of computex wait they'll come real soon 

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Billy_Mays we don't want any of your stain cleaner!!!! xD

In the image, I circled 1 and 2.

Can you tell me what the first thing is... it's connected to the WIFI GO ports.

Than there is the number 2. thing that looks like an M.2 SSD. It's looks to have headers on it.

MB.PNG

1. That is your wifi antenna. Most wifi technology cones with some sort of antenna in the form of little arms coming off of them. These are designed to boost its sending and receiving capabilities. The problem with that is usually your routers and wifi devices are somewhere not to be seen... on a floor, in a corner, under a desk, or so on. This means that the walls and desks surrounding it block a large portion of the signal going out and coming in, so your signal strength is weaker. This thing is designed to be routed from the back of your computer onto your desk so that it can easier send and receive signals without being blocked by your walls and furniture.

2. That is the Fan Extension card I was talking about. It comes with 3x 4pin fan headers and plugs into your motherboard via cable on the top left of the board.

3 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

You do not appear to be capable of understanding what I'm saying (or you don't care to)... have a good day.

Just now, Zyndo said:

You do not appear to be capable of understanding what I'm saying (or you don't care to)... have a good day.

Shhhh.... Zyndo, you'll piss the Ghost of Billy Mays off.

Shhhh.... Zyndo, you'll piss the Ghost of Billy Mays off.

He's gonna oxyclean my soul!

Just now, Zyndo said:

He's gonna oxyclean my soul!

xD HAHAHAHAHAHA

"Im Billy Mays and Ill Oxyclean that stain" xD