MOving to a new Motherboard

Grim reaper 999

hey guys i've planned to upgrade my motherboard in next month so do i have to buy windows again ???

Nope. No need to get Windows again, All you need to enter the key again.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Nope. No need to get Windows again, All you need to enter the key again.

the thing is i didnt purchase the retail version instead got a cheap (20$) version. still dont need???

3 minutes ago, Grim reaper 999 said:

the thing is i didnt purchase the retail version instead got a cheap (20$) version. still dont need???

From where did you buy it? I'm sure they are all the same. It'll work just fine. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

From where did you buy it? I'm sure they are all the same. It'll work just fine. 

from kinguin.

Just now, Grim reaper 999 said:

from kinguin.

It'll work fine. 

4 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Unless it's OEM, it's usually cheaper and means that it only works with one motherboard :)

8 minutes ago, Grim reaper 999 said:

What you can do is test with your old key and installation method(CD/USB). If it doesn't work, get new Windows :)

I quote:

"If you built your own computer and purchased a "system builder" or "OEM" license of Windows–which is slightly cheaper than the full retail license–that OEM license is supposed to become tied to the first computer you install it on. Specifically, this license becomes associated with that particular motherboard."

15 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

I quote:

"If you built your own computer and purchased a "system builder" or "OEM" license of Windows–which is slightly cheaper than the full retail license–that OEM license is supposed to become tied to the first computer you install it on. Specifically, this license becomes associated with that particular motherboard."

Hmmm yes you got it right seems like i have to get another license. btw thanks for your help. cheers mate

10 minutes ago, Grim reaper 999 said:

Hmmm yes you got it right seems like i have to get another license. btw thanks for your help. cheers mate

I recommend not getting another OEM version of windows, if you have to upgrade or something breaks in the future you can just reinstall it with the same key and USB/CD :)