lawmakers seek to ban google glass from your car !!!!

kountrykountykid

lawmakers in Virginia are looking to ban drivers from wearing Google glass in the car. apparently Virginia has spent some time cracking down on texting and driving and the legislator sees Google glass as an extension of just that.Sorry Google lawmakers might just put a halt to your tech advancement.

I could definitely see how it would be a distraction, but I don't know how a state can ban something that's not even available to the public yet...

I could definitely see how it would be a distraction' date=' but I don't know how a state can ban something that's not even available to the public yet...[/quote']

i would say its more to curb people streaming/uploading videos of police in realtime (from what i understand its a hands free voice activated user interface so it shouldn't be distracting... compared to going through your phone finding someones name in your contacts list) . that, along with it would generally generate more paperwork for traffic divisions for all police forces.

because people would send police videos using google glass of obvious traffic violations, and aggressive driving. then police would have to follow up.

I could see why they would want to ban you using Google Glass in the car. It will be just as distracting looking at your phone.

TBH I think this is fair enough. If you have some screen in front of your eye that you (could) look at all the time it's just as distracting as a phone, maybe more. Don't think the police "following up" thing has anything to do with it, their not going to care if you get video of aggressive driving etc, plus how many people are going to take the time to report that stuff?

I rather see Google Glass becoming illegal entirely

Do you have a link to the article? You said it will ban the drivers so I assume passengers can still wear them? I am OK with that.

lol, why?

Well, augmentation is being put at a standstill due to the the government, businesses, and people who enjoy privacy. This really isn't that big of a surprise to me.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

What if the glass would disable itself while driving and turn on only in park and neutral

TBH I think this is fair enough. If you have some screen in front of your eye that you (could) look at all the time it's just as distracting as a phone' date=' maybe more. Don't think the police "following up" thing has anything to do with it, their not going to care if you get video of aggressive driving etc, plus how many people are going to take the time to report that stuff?[/quote']

you'd be surprised. when i was a dispatcher in tampa, fl i had about a call a minute of people either saying "this person ran a red light" "they cut me off and are driving fast" "they parked wrong in the neighborhood". now imagine if people could just insta sms departments and file reports almost simultaneously with google glass.

edit: but i guarantee it's mostly for the recording of law enforcement. didn't viriginia already have a few cases of being arrested for taping public servants?

This law doesn't seem to bad, its basically text and surfing the web while driving.

Google should like, make a function in the glasses that disables it when you're driving, cycling etc.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I can't see the point of Google making Google glasses. they're ugly and when you talk to somebody else it seems you is'nt paing attention. And who wants to wear them. People are going to stare at you if you out of nowhere begin to talk to some glasses. And they can easily be stolen. And Google will probably collect data about you. It's just a stupid idea

It's reasonable to ban it while driving in my opinion. Nothing wrong with it.

TBH I think this is fair enough. If you have some screen in front of your eye that you (could) look at all the time it's just as distracting as a phone' date=' maybe more. Don't think the police "following up" thing has anything to do with it, their not going to care if you get video of aggressive driving etc, plus how many people are going to take the time to report that stuff?[/quote']

you'd be surprised. when i was a dispatcher in tampa, fl i had about a call a minute of people either saying "this person ran a red light" "they cut me off and are driving fast" "they parked wrong in the neighborhood". now imagine if people could just insta sms departments and file reports almost simultaneously with google glass.

edit: but i guarantee it's mostly for the recording of law enforcement. didn't viriginia already have a few cases of being arrested for taping public servants?

Yeah true, I suppose that's a fair enough point. Is that illegal in the US? Here in Australia you can film whoever you want as long as you're on public land. TBH that's how I think it should be everywhere.

I'm all for banning them in cars, its bad enough that people have screens all over the inside of their cars (not to mention the number of people that text and drive) so the idea of having another screen right in front of your eye, just cause you can see through it doesn't mean you wont get distracted every time you get a twitter and Facebook message.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

I can't see the point of Google making Google glasses. they're ugly and when you talk to somebody else it seems you is'nt paing attention. And who wants to wear them. People are going to stare at you if you out of nowhere begin to talk to some glasses. And they can easily be stolen. And Google will probably collect data about you. It's just a stupid idea
You just said the point in your post...

For Google, it's all about data collection.

fair enough

Yeah true' date=' I suppose that's a fair enough point. Is that illegal in the US? Here in Australia you can film whoever you want as long as you're on public land. TBH that's how I think it should be everywhere.[/quote']

its actually not illegale, but people are getting arrested left and right by police when policeman are getting filmed for any reason. its mostly the tyrancy of our country and how they train law enforcement. in the USA they train them like our military.... except we aren't terrorists so... yeah.

Google Glass is going to be banned everywhere.

Private offices? Check.

Restaurants? Check.

Anywhere but a city street? Check.

While driving? You bet.

Wearing one of these?

Expect cabbies to refuse service.

Expect restaurants to refuse to serve you.

Enjoy not having anyone talking to you candidly ever.

People are terrible enough at driving as it is (I know, everyone's a worse driver than you). I personally wouldn't want to where one while I'm driving anyway. I don't see a need, I get myself everywhere and anywhere without something as close to me as Glass. There are so many privacy issues people will have with it as well, as mentioned. It's very, very cool, but the world isn't ready for it yet. The public release target is the end of this year.

What does everyone this the price of it will be? People who won the competition to get Google Glass now had the pay $1,500 for it...

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers