Samsung S8 Iris Scanner may not be quite as secure...

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm not buying a phone that needs a spit sample to unlock

They could do a finger prick like with testing for blood sugar.

6 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

There are methods to spoof Touch ID but it requires the actual finger of the person. 

Did you even read what I wrote?

15 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Since we're talking about the safety of authentication methods, I would like to point out, if I'm not wrong that there doesn't seem to be a single reported case where the second gen touch ID of iPhone 6S and later phones being spoofed.

It would be impressive if the first method that they used to trick 5S and 6 didn't work, even though it was pretty cumbersome method, to begin with 

Biometrics being biometrics again... 

Let's face it: we're doing it because it looks cool in sci-fi movies. If what matterd was security, we wouldn't be downgrading from passwords. 

On 05/23/2017 at 5:57 PM, CyberFerno said:

no offense but u know if this info can be used to bypass s8 security why put it online i mean people can look at this info and might actually try to steal s8's to try to unlock without paying any money i don't know why people do this if u find some trick or hack keep it to yourself

No offense, but this generally isn't going to happen to the masses. You would have to have a high resolution images to get the details. A compressed FB image won't be enough. If this were to happen to someone, it would most likely have to be very targeted. Not a random unidentifiable phone you find at the empty table at Panera.

As far as unlocking, those of us that care about keeping our phones safe have it encrypted. So if the power goes of or it is restarted, you need a password in order to unlock. Biometrics won't work until the authentication password is input.

Additionally, everyone know fingerprint readers can be tricked as well. It cannot be 100% foolproof. No such thing. You use it at your own risk...

And this side, computers are much easier to get into than a phone. Macs especially. That log in password isn't tired to an Apple account, and is easily removed through terminal. Nothing is secure.

And for those concerned about legalities... Fingerprints... "As Ars has reported before, under the Fifth Amendment, defendants cannot generally be compelled to provide self-incriminating testimony (“what you know”). But giving a fingerprint (“what you are”) for the purposes of identification or matching to an unknown fingerprint found at a crime scene has been allowed. It wasn’t until relatively recently, after all, that fingerprints could be used to unlock a smartphone. The crux of the legal theory here is that a compelled fingerprint isn’t testimonial, it’s simply a compelled production—like being forced to hand over a key to a safe."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/court-rules-against-man-who-was-forced-to-fingerprint-unlock-his-phone/

20 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

No offense, but this generally isn't going to happen to the masses. You would have to have a high resolution images to get the details. A compressed FB image won't be enough. If this were to happen to someone, it would most likely have to be very targeted. Not a random unidentifiable phone you find at the empty table at Panera.

As far as unlocking, those of us that care about keeping our phones safe have it encrypted. So if the power goes of or it is restarted, you need a password in order to unlock. Biometrics won't work until the authentication password is input.

Additionally, everyone know fingerprint readers can be tricked as well. It cannot be 100% foolproof. No such thing. You use it at your own risk...

And this side, computers are much easier to get into than a phone. Macs especially. That log in password isn't tired to an Apple account, and is easily removed through terminal. Nothing is secure.

And for those concerned about legalities... Fingerprints... "As Ars has reported before, under the Fifth Amendment, defendants cannot generally be compelled to provide self-incriminating testimony (“what you know”). But giving a fingerprint (“what you are”) for the purposes of identification or matching to an unknown fingerprint found at a crime scene has been allowed. It wasn’t until relatively recently, after all, that fingerprints could be used to unlock a smartphone. The crux of the legal theory here is that a compelled fingerprint isn’t testimonial, it’s simply a compelled production—like being forced to hand over a key to a safe."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/court-rules-against-man-who-was-forced-to-fingerprint-unlock-his-phone/

My pixel will require you to enter the password after a boot up. and I tested if I could use my knuckle as a finger print and it works. it was a bit awkward to press but unlocks the phone fine.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

10 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

My pixel will require you to enter the password after a boot up. and I tested if I could use my knuckle as a finger print and it works. it was a bit awkward to press but unlocks the phone fine.

You can probably use anything. It's just analyzing the lines on whatever gets put on it. I had a guy I worked with use a toe. He always wore flip flops. But I thought that was gross...

So for legalities, yes, your Fingerprint's are fair game. But I guess you don't have to tell them which body part was used for scanning. Knuckle, elbow, knee, toe, nether regions... I guess you just have to be creative.