Haunted Hardware: LTT Community Edition!

After seeing Haunted Hardware, i thought that the LTT community would have Haunted Hardware stories of their own (or a friend, family member etc.) that could be interesting for everyone else to see and read.

your story has to meet these three criteria (otherwise it's just a problem that you fixed and thats boring):

1. does it persist between multiple opereating system installs?
  2. has this system (or hardware) had it since it's first assembly (or when you got it from someone) or when you changed something about it's configuration (adding a extra card etc.)?
  3. and last off, is it useful or annoying?

this is an example of a story that meets the criteria and has happened to me:

i had a system that would not play star wars jedi knight jedi academy, no matter what i did, the game would not launch, just to be sure i installed it in my other system and it worked fine.

even after many hardware changes (extra RAM, Better GPU, faster HDD etc.), opereating system reinstalls and driver installs and reinstalls, the problem persisted no matter what i did.

even to this day the system still refuses to play the game and gives the same error.

i have googled it and no-one else has had this problem and it's not documented anywhere online.

it's had this ever since it was first put together,

it's annoying as it's my main winxp gaming system and i play winxp games on it as some games perform better on the OS they were developed on.

let's hear your story!

also don't give ways to fix the problem, as the individual might not want help fixing the problem as they might of given up or tried everything they can to fix it

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!