Unpleasant First Build Experience

Go to solution Solved by SpaceGhostC2C,
1 minute ago, Mike Soda said:

1: So far I've had it on & running fine for over an hour, even installed Windows 10. If that scratch caused any actual damage would I of noticed the effects by now?

Probably yes.

2: Would the manufacturers warranty still cover replacement via RMA if the motherboard started to malfunction in the future because of this damage or something else?

Probably not, as long as they notice it.

3: Would they even notice something this small or should I just not mention it if I do need to RMA someday?

Given your picture, probably not, but I'm not willing to guarantee that. Most likely they'll first test and then follow up based on their diagnosis, rather than going with a magnifying glass over the board. Salient physical damage would be a different story.

4: Can the Wraith Spires fan be rotated (I've tried seems pretty solid) so it can be re-positioned or what was I doing wrong?

No idea. Frankly, I didn't even understand the problem you were trying to solve in the first place :P 

5: I lost a little snip-it of a zip-tie somewhere in the case, maybe even PSU, is this anything to worry about?

It's plastic, so I'd say no unless it gets a fan stuck or falls into a component hot enough to melt it (which I doubt. And probably even then).

Unfortunately the first pic I'm uploading of my new PC isn't of anything good. After watching a Bitwit video of how to install the Wraith Spire cooler because the included instructions weren't specific enough regarding orientation. I realized that the AMD logo which IMO should be the top of the cooler is now overhanging the RAM. Optimistic, I tried removing the RAM to calm my nerves but sure enough it interferes. So I decided I'd simply unscrew the fan from the heatsink as I don't have any spare thermal paste & honestly don't have the money either to buy that anytime soon. The lower right screw's position forced me to insert the screwdriver at an angle & it slipped, making a small scratch between the CPU socket & the RAM. So in order for me to not worry myself to death in the coming days, weeks, months & years about unsure damage, I've got some questions to ask before carrying on with the build & overclocking log.

1: So far I've had it on & running fine for over an hour, even installed Windows 10. If that scratch caused any actual damage would I of noticed the effects by now?

2: Would the manufacturers warranty still cover replacement via RMA if the motherboard started to malfunction in the future because of this damage or something else?

3: Would they even notice something this small or should I just not mention it if I do need to RMA someday?

4: Can the Wraith Spires fan be rotated (I've tried seems pretty solid) so it can be re-positioned or what was I doing wrong?

5: I lost a little snip-it of a zip-tie somewhere in the case, maybe even PSU, is this anything to worry about?

Scratch.jpg

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

Probably yes.

Given your picture, probably not, but I'm not willing to guarantee that. Most likely they'll first test and then follow up based on their diagnosis, rather than going with a magnifying glass over the board. Salient physical damage would be a different story.

No idea. Frankly, I didn't even understand the problem you were trying to solve in the first place :P 

It's plastic, so I'd say no unless it gets a fan stuck or falls into a component hot enough to melt it (which I doubt. And probably even then).

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Probably yes.

Phew thank you but here's what I'm talking about, because of how the screws line up the top (AMD logo), either ends up on the right side over the RAM or on the left, which is what I realize I'd of preferred.

1: Should I just forget about the scratch completely then?

2: Can I unscrew the entire Wraith Spire heatsink & fan, rotate it counter clockwise so the logo is on the left & reattach everything without removing the old thermal paste & adding new?

Sideways Cooler.jpg

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

19 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Phew thank you but here's what I'm talking about, because of how the screws line up the top (AMD logo), either ends up on the right side over the RAM or on the left, which is what I realize I'd of preferred.

1: Should I just forget about the scratch completely then?

Well, I won't take responsibility for telling that, but... if it works... :P 

19 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

2: Can I unscrew the entire Wraith Spire heatsink & fan, rotate it counter clockwise so the logo is on the left & reattach everything without removing the old thermal paste & adding new?

I see now. It is not recommended to keep the thermal paste when re-mounting, but if you have no choice it's not going to kill you. Still, if the fan mounting is squared, you could just rotate the fan any way you want without detaching the heatsink, just

avoid pushing too hard (you are not tightening it anyway).

I haven't mounted one of these myself, I must say.

8 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Well, I won't take responsibility for telling that, but... if it works... :P 

I see now. It is not recommended to keep the thermal paste when re-mounting, but if you have no choice it's not going to kill you. Still, if the fan mounting is squared, you could just rotate the fan any way you want without detaching the heatsink, just

avoid pushing too hard (you are not tightening it anyway).

I haven't mounted one of these myself, I must say.

Thanks I'll try that after my shower tonight & let ya know how it goes. Really baffled me when I unboxed the thing to see that the logo can only initially go either way sideways. Mines not the only one like this too according to many reviewers & unboxers.

Well I've tried with a variety of Philips screwdrivers & now the screw is almost stripped. I can't see how AMD could've possibly installed that fan onto the heatsink without somehow rotating that cuff thing. I've tried simply turning that to see if it does & thus gives access to the screw but it don't even with moderate force. Unless you or anyone else here has other ideas I'm just gonna have to leave it as is which really bothers me that it can't be fixed, being such a simple thing.

20170519_215936.jpg