Disk at 100%???

Often when I start my pc or even just use my pc it will run extremely slow, and I just built it recently so obviously I don't want that, then when I check task manager the disk will be bright red and say its under 100% load? is this normal if not what's happening?

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400 OC to 4GHz (Stock Cooler)

MOBO: Asus Prime B350 Plus

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 3000MHz 16Gb (2x8)

DRIVE: 1TB Western Digital Blue
GRAPHICS CARD: GT 610
PSU: VTX600

You can click on the disk percentage to see what programs take up your disk performance.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, simonbyrial said:

You can click on the disk percentage to see what programs take up your disk performance.

I did but it didn't list anything

Just now, That Mason Guy said:

I did but it didn't list anything

If it's doing it now, can you send a screenshot?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, simonbyrial said:

If it's doing it now, can you send a screenshot?

its not doing it currently

Just now, SageOfSpice said:

It's probably just Microsoft digging through your stuff.

have all the tracking stuff turned off

If it's a new build, it's common when Windows is setting up stuff in the background.

If it's still doing it in a week, then you can start to worry.

For the time being run a malwarebytes and some kind of antivirus scan just in case.
Hope this helps :)

have all the tracking stuff turned off

It's never fully turned off. It's the exact reason people dislike Windows 10.

Could be any number of background processes. Superfetch, search indexing, file scanning...

If you go into performance monitor, it'll give you a bit more of a comprehensive view of exactly what's going on.

2 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

If it's a new build, it's common when Windows is setting up stuff in the background.

If it's still doing it in a week, then you can start to worry.

For the time being run a malwarebytes and some kind of antivirus scan just in case.
Hope this helps :)

thanks, and yeah already have Malwarebytes and Avast installed

1 minute ago, That Mason Guy said:

thanks, and yeah already have Malwarebytes and Avast installed

I'd recommend you uninstall avast and just run Microsoft's antivirus, Malwarebytes is nice though, and if you want to check if you've turned off most of the stuff you can turn off, have a look at Spybot's anti-beacon.

Just now, Sack said:

I'd recommend you uninstall avast and just run Microsoft's antivirus, Malwarebytes is nice though, and if you want to check if you've turned off most of the stuff you can turn off, have a look at Spybot's anti-beacon.

whats wrong with Avast?

whats wrong with Avast?

It's just not better than MSE and at this point, it actually introduces another attack vector, so it's actually more "dangerous" for average people to use. Unless you're a business and use enterprise anti-virus, it's not really that useful.

2 minutes ago, That Mason Guy said:

whats wrong with Avast?

Absolutely nothing. It can be a bit aggressive depending on your settings, but that's about it.

15 minutes ago, That Mason Guy said:

whats wrong with Avast?

It's just redundant these days. Windows has a built-in antivirus which is just as good.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

7 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

It's just redundant these days. Windows has a built-in antivirus which is just as good.

Any links? I can't find anyone aside from Microsoft themselves claiming the same thing.

33 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Any links? I can't find anyone aside from Microsoft themselves claiming the same thing.

Here, at first glance, it might look worse, but the protection score tanks because it's a little bit slower than the industry standard. All in all pretty much as good as any anti-virus out there for win10, on win7 it actually performs much better so...

13 hours ago, Sack said:

Here, at first glance, it might look worse, but the protection score tanks because it's a little bit slower than the industry standard. All in all pretty much as good as any anti-virus out there for win10, on win7 it actually performs much better so...

That seems to link me back to some older tests done last year in October before they got their shit together. If that's the test we're looking at, then the real reason if scored low is because it couldn't update definitions frequently enough, so computers were left vulnerable to new threats for longer. I think that changed about April of this year, because a few of the tests I've seen from then on seem to indicate that it's improved fairly markedly, and now updates much more frequently. Still, with that said, these tests are performed with base settings.

If I had to say there was a reason to use one or the other, I'd say the largest benefit of Defender is that it runs during boot. The largest benefit of Avast is that it's highly customizable.

I might be a bit biased since Defender has pretty much been garbage since... forever, and I've never had Avast let me down. Hard to change perspective. Must be getting old.

On 5/18/2017 at 4:47 PM, That Mason Guy said:

Often when I start my pc or even just use my pc it will run extremely slow, and I just built it recently so obviously I don't want that, then when I check task manager the disk will be bright red and say its under 100% load? is this normal if not what's happening?

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400 OC to 4GHz (Stock Cooler)

MOBO: Asus Prime B350 Plus

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 3000MHz 16Gb (2x8)

DRIVE: 1TB Western Digital Blue
GRAPHICS CARD: GT 610
PSU: VTX600

Happened to me before. Found a solution on internet, works for me (ssd & windows10). 

Run "services.msc". Look for "Windows Search" and "Superfetch."

Go to each of these entries. Right click on one and select "Properties." In the dropdown box labeled "Startup type," choose Disabled. After leaving the properties window, press "Stop" in the upper left corner. Do this for both.

10/10 would recommend SSD

My gf have normal HDD in her new laptop, and disk usage is always high for some reason. But when you plug in SSD .... well it's like day or night change

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB