Desk PC

hypertaes

I have to do a personal project this year and I am interested in building a desk PC. I have no experience in building a PC and would like assistance. I'm also having to make tough decisions such as using air cool or water cool for the PC I would like to build. 

Any advice?

Thank you

Depends, what the budget and use case?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I'm not sure about the case because it is a desk PC, maybe I should design it myself or buy the desk pc chassis online. About the budget, about 1700 USD. 

5 minutes ago, JDE said:

Depends, what the budget and use case?

I'm not sure about the case because it is a desk PC, maybe I should design it myself or buy the desk pc chassis online. About the budget, about 1700 USD. 

9 minutes ago, hypertaes said:

I have to do a personal project this year and I am interested in building a desk PC. I have no experience in building a PC and would like assistance. I'm also having to make tough decisions such as using air cool or water cool for the PC I would like to build. 

Any advice?

Thank you

It may be a good idea to look into salvaging an IO plate or purchasing a bracket as that can help save a lot of time and work.

http://www.mountainmods.com/motherboard-parts-c-21_34_66.html?osCsid=tg25p99db9tls6qb65u24tsk20

-Moved to Modding Section- 

10 minutes ago, hypertaes said:

As in the use case. What are you going to use it for?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Don't buy a disk online, they cost $500-1000.  Get mdf and make one yourself

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Don't buy a disk online, they cost $500-1000.  Get mdf and make one yourself

Is making a desk with wood a good thing? I mean Lian Li makes good desk PC Chassis

9 minutes ago, JDE said:

As in the use case. What are you going to use it for?

I am most likely use it as a gaming pc and other normal things like surfing the web and stuff

5 minutes ago, hypertaes said:

Is making a desk with wood a good thing? I mean Lian Li makes good desk PC Chassis

yeah, there are tons of build logs for it online. a youtuber JPModified is building something like it right now. This is also something I have considered in the past. As a starting point, I was planning on picking up an open benchtable (google it) instead of salvaging a backplate from a case. Is your 1700 budget for PC components as well as building the desk? If it is, I would say try to stick to about 1600 for the components then the other 100 to build the desk. Due to the budget, I also think you should either not use a backplate for the MOBO (see linus's video on his desk) or salvage one from a different case. Also, Linus used MDF for his desk PC and I was planning on using 2x4s then using an acrylic top (instead of Linus's tempered glass). Before you start though, make sure you have access to a router because it will more than likely be necessary. GL

22 minutes ago, Big Red Man said:

yeah, there are tons of build logs for it online. a youtuber JPModified is building something like it right now. This is also something I have considered in the past. As a starting point, I was planning on picking up an open benchtable (google it) instead of salvaging a backplate from a case. Is your 1700 budget for PC components as well as building the desk? If it is, I would say try to stick to about 1600 for the components then the other 100 to build the desk. Due to the budget, I also think you should either not use a backplate for the MOBO (see linus's video on his desk) or salvage one from a different case. Also, Linus used MDF for his desk PC and I was planning on using 2x4s then using an acrylic top (instead of Linus's tempered glass). Before you start though, make sure you have access to a router because it will more than likely be necessary. GL

Thank you so much.:)

37 minutes ago, hypertaes said:

Totally safe, you can use a big sheet of tempered glass or acrylic on top and have 0 issues.  There are a lot of build Lofa fir it and I would say your best option would be using an aio cooler 

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Totally safe, you can use a big sheet of tempered glass or acrylic on top and have 0 issues.  There are a lot of build Lofa fir it and I would say your best option would be using an aio cooler 

So air cooling is better than water cooling for a desk pc?

44 minutes ago, hypertaes said:

Lian Li makes good desk PC Chassis

Costs $1200 though m8

6 minutes ago, hypertaes said:

So air cooling is better than water cooling for a desk pc?

Aio or "all in one" coolers are closed loop water coolers.  They are cheap and get the job done, I actually would not use air in a desk PC.

What monitor/resolution do you play at?

I guess I am aiming for a 4k gaming experience

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Aio or "all in one" coolers are closed loop water coolers.  They are cheap and get the job done, I actually would not use air in a desk PC.

ohhh okay, thank you

2 minutes ago, hypertaes said:

I guess I am aiming for a 4k gaming experience

Do you have a 4k monitor already? A $1500 pc budget (1600 - 100ish for desk) will actually get a great 4k gaming experience, $1237.72 and you have a 4k monster!

A decent 4k monitor starts at around $500, putting you at least $200 over budget.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VdQPd6

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($218.49 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.33 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($126.94 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($683.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($93.98 @ NCIX US) 
Other: Pcie extending cable ($29.99)
Total: $1237.72

I suggest you drop the gpu and get a 1440p ultrawide monitor instead.  The resolution is very close to 4k and it is the most amazing gaming experience imo.

Get this pc + $500 ultrawide and you are good to go.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FWDzK8/aoc-monitor-u3477pqu

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3LRKQV

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($126.94 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card  ($504.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($93.98 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1058.71

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Do you have a 4k monitor already? A $1500 pc budget (1600 - 100ish for desk) will actually get a great 4k gaming experience, $1237.72 and you have a 4k monster!

A decent 4k monitor starts at around $500, putting you at least $200 over budget.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VdQPd6

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($683.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1237.72

Hmm okay, I will check for the price and choose the monitor thanks