Steam's Broken Scam Reporting System

So it's story time.

It was December, a few nights before Christmas. Chilling with my friends, I get a message from this guy -> https://steamcommunity.com/id/QueenElizbeth. (Could be one of his other scam accounts idk.) He claims that he'll give me a beautiful knife for my eh bowie knife scorched FT. Me, the idiot that I am investigated. I needed to give him my skin first as "collateral." Idiot me did this and I quickly learned the harsh scamming world of CSGO. I immediately filed a community report and never heard back from Steam. 5 months later I attempt to file another report in vain. I realized there was no way to create a ticket about scams. This system is broken, and I realize I will never get my skins back. We need to do something about Steam's broken system. 

Sorry for sounding really stupid and needy in this story, if you've ever been scammed you'll understand.

Much signature, very sign.

I have never been scammed but have stupidly fallen for "follow me to wildy for stuff" in the wildy within Runescape. (This was mannnnny years ago.) I was easily killed by multiple people all for my awesome rune armor I finally saved up enough gold for.

Lesson learned.

You learned a much more "expensive" lesson, but while scamming is unethical... it's totally legit and you literally handed them your item and pressed "Accept" yourself. No one else made you do that except you.

The system is not broken, people just need to learn how to avoid such things in the future, which I'm sure you will now.

10 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I have never been scammed but have stupidly fallen for "follow me to wildy for stuff" in the wildy within Runescape. (This was mannnnny years ago.) I was easily killed by multiple people all for my awesome rune armor I finally saved up enough gold for.

Lesson learned.

You learned a much more "expensive" lesson, but while scamming is unethical... it's totally legit and you literally handed them your item and pressed "Accept" yourself. No one else made you do that except you.

The system is not broken, people just need to learn how to avoid such things in the future, which I'm sure you will now.

I entirely agree with you that it's my fault. It's just a shame that I checked his other accounts and they haven't been banned yet. While I value the lesson I learned I would at least like some sort of closure and acknowledgement by Steam. 

4 minutes ago, Borikhr said:

I entirely agree with you that it's my fault. It's just a shame that I checked his other accounts and they haven't been banned yet. While I value the lesson I learned I would at least like some sort of closure and acknowledgement by Steam. 

Steam won't ban his account, He didn't hack into your account and steal the knife, you added it to trade, he could add his one and you both click accept, that is why its a two way trade system, why the hell would you click accept with him not adding the item you trading for ? like did he say oh I'll trade it tomorrow or something ? 

If he said it was on another account than simple, you say ok Log on that account and we can trade, its his problem if he wants to move it around accounts not yours. 

TL:DR He didn't do anything that violates steams T&C's all he did was a trade. Steam does not cover common sense. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

Steam won't ban his account, He didn't hack into your account and steal the knife, you added it to trade, he could add his one and you both click accept, that is why its a two way trade system, why the hell would you click accept with him not adding the item you trading for ? like did he say oh I'll trade it tomorrow or something ? 

If he said it was on another account than simple, you say ok Log on that account and we can trade, its his problem if he wants to move it around accounts not yours. 

TL:DR He didn't do anything that violates steams T&C's all he did was a trade. Steam does not cover common sense. 

Dude I get it I fucked up. And I'm not saying he should get banned. All I'm saying is that Steam's support system needs to improve. I would have like a Steam representative to contact me saying something like what you said. 

Just now, Borikhr said:

Dude I get it I fucked up. And I'm not saying he should get banned. All I'm saying is that Steam's support system needs to improve. I would have like a Steam representative to contact me saying something like what you said. 

Agree, you should have least got a message from them saying that. But you'll prob find with the amount of users they prob have a aggressive sorting system and your message didn't hold anything they needed to take further action on so it just got binned. Its not right but we are to blame for this system, just think how many messages they get from kids who gambled the knife they got for christmas from the family and lost all their skins, trying everything to get them back. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

Agree, you should have least got a message from them saying that. But you'll prob find with the amount of users they prob have a aggressive sorting system and your message didn't hold anything they needed to take further action on so it just got binned. Its not right but we are to blame for this system, just think how many messages they get from kids who gambled the knife they got for christmas from the family and lost all their skins, trying everything to get them back. 

It's one of those hindsight moments that is really easy to realize how stupid that was.

19 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

In one last fuck you to the guy I added him on my bro's account and left reviews on his account ripping his system and process up. Hopefully no one else makes the mistakes I did. 

Well, I agree with You. A while ago - like 2 years ago - I got incredibly lucky and while taking break from studying, I decided to buy 1(!) key to the case that I owned. Just for fun. And I opened  Bayonet Marble Fade (Minimal Wear, but with 0,71 so close to Factroy New) it was worth like 400$ then, now it's like 300$ - still expensive.

So I put in on sale (not steam market, just for real PayPal money) and one guy contacted me, he looked like 100% legit, he showed me his steam account with many knives etc.

So I dumbly went for it... he said he need to contact me from other account for security reasons or whatever. Long story short, he got my knive I got no money on paypal. Of course I reported him and that's it. He never got banned, noone ever contacted me. I lost like 1600 PLN (currency in my country) which is more than some people make in a month (minimal monthly salary was like 1350 PLN back then)

Leson learned.

and also STEAM has terrible scam support :( (read: no support at all imho)