7700K 5.0+ Noctua NH-D15 or cryorig a80?

MasterRaceMcqueen

The A80 will perform slightly better than the D-15, but wont be as quiet (Should be able to get it past 5Ghz on D-15, although Kabylake does have a thermal issues).   

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Kabylake's integrated thermal compound makes it very prone to disproportionate overheating. If you're really serious about getting the best temps, then delid your 7700k. Steve from Hardware Unboxed got some 23 celsius improvement at 5 GHz, MindBlank Tech ran his 7700k 25 degrees cooler post-delid at 5.2 GHz.

I believe the Noctua cooler will run just marginally hotter, but it will also be a lot quieter. Cooler longevity on the Noctua will be better too. The only things that can fair on an air cooler are the fans, and Noctua's fans are legendary.

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Kabylake's integrated thermal compound makes it very prone to disproportionate overheating. If you're really serious about getting the best temps, then delid your 7700k. Steve from Hardware Unboxed got some 23 celsius improvement at 5 GHz, MindBlank Tech ran his 7700k 25 degrees cooler post-delid at 5.2 GHz.

I believe the Noctua cooler will run just marginally hotter, but it will also be a lot quieter. I think cooler longevity on the Noctua may be better too.

even if i buy this combo?
https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/shared/oW591aaa5404272

8 minutes ago, MasterRaceMcqueen said:

Well, if you're buying an EKWB kit, you're basicaly getting a complete custom loop, without the hard work. The D-15 beats most AIOs, but doesn't compete with such high-quality custom loop solutions.

The problem is maintenance. Air coolers don't really require maintenance, need less precautions, and the high-end ones generally perform really well. With a custom loop, you'll have to worry about leaks, draining, cleaning, and refilling the loop now and then, replacing faulty parts or things that stop working. It's a less streamlined experience, and I don't recommend it to people who are just looking for performance. I recommend it to people who want to get into custom loop watercooling because of an interest exclusive to it.