PC won't boot but PSU starts

So my PC took several tries to boot a few days ago and now it won't boot at all. Whenever I press the power button, I can hear the PSU start yet nothing else starts. So I hold it down and the sound stops, then I press it again.

The times I did get it on before I noticed zero performance impacts, I disabled my overclocks anyways.

So far I have tested both sticks of RAM, made sure all cables are fully in, and tried turning it on with the GPU power unplugged but not the GPU itself. I have reset the cmos and given it a dusting off (Not thorough).

Any advice on how else I can troubleshoot as well a quick fix I can attempt to try get it to turn on?

Thanks in advance guys!

Edit: specs in the profile

Edited by Andre01

1 minute ago, Andre01 said:

So my PC took several tries to boot a few days ago and now it won't boot at all. Whenever I press the power button, I can hear the PSU start yet nothing else starts. So I hold it down and the sound stops, then I press it again.

The times I did get it on before I noticed zero performance impacts, I disabled my overclocks anyways.

So far I have tested both sticks of RAM, made sure all cables are fully in, and tried turning it on with the GPU power unplugged but not the GPU itself. I have reset the cmos and given it a dusting off (Not thorough).

Any advice on how else I can troubleshoot as well a quick fix I can attempt to try get it to turn on?

Thanks in advance guys!

If you have a multi meter, test your psu. Yellow should be 12v, Red 5v, Black is Ground.

I'd recommend completely disassembling the system and rebuilding it on a flat, non-conductive surface to test it.

Never dismiss a possible solution because of a respected brand.

IT Admin perusing a bachelor's in Computer Engineering.

4 minutes ago, Endeavor01 said:

If you have a multi meter, test your psu. Yellow should be 12v, Red 5v, Black is Ground.

I'd recommend completely disassembling the system and rebuilding it on a flat, non-conductive surface to test it.

How exactly would I go about testing the psu. I've got a multimeter with a red connector and a black connector.

he has a Seasonic, its probably not it :-| 

try unplugging and plug in all the cables from the psu 

2 minutes ago, Andre01 said:

How exactly would I go about testing the psu. I've got a multimeter with a red connector and a black connector.

black to ground and red to what ever you are trying to test, but remember to use the voltage setting

Just now, cj09beira said:

he has a Seasonic, its probably not it :-| 

try unplugging and plug in all the cables from the psu 

on your 24 pin connector, you want to bridge the green wire (known as Power-Good as dumb as it sounds) with a ground (black) wire to start the PSU. if your PSU isn't color coded, the Green cable is 4th from the left with the clip facing up. Use This image to guide you. Either wires to the left or right of it are ground wires that you can connect. I'd recommend using a paperclip to bridge these.

Your PSU should start up, it's easiest to test on a Molex connector if you have one. Touch the Red wire on your multi meter to the red or yellow wires on the molex (use This if it's not color coded) and the black wire to the other black wire. The Red wire should read ~5 volts and the Yellow wire should read ~12v.

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

do you have a buzzer connected to the board? if so the beeps it makes could help

Usually the buzzer is located in the Case accessories bag/box that came with your case. If you don't have one, you may be able to borrow one from another non-OEM machine. Most OEM machines have them soldered onto the motherboard.

16 minutes ago, Endeavor01 said:

on your 24 pin connector, you want to bridge the green wire (known as Power-Good as dumb as it sounds) with a ground (black) wire to start the PSU. if your PSU isn't color coded, the Green cable is 4th from the left with the clip facing up. Use This image to guide you. Either wires to the left or right of it are ground wires that you can connect. I'd recommend using a paperclip to bridge these.

Your PSU should start up, it's easiest to test on a Molex connector if you have one. Touch the Red wire on your multi meter to the red or yellow wires on the molex (use This if it's not color coded) and the black wire to the other black wire. The Red wire should read ~5 volts and the Yellow wire should read ~12v.

I'm just going through your steps currently when I got to the step about bridging the 24pin. I'm not sure if this means anything but when I did it the case fans began spinning whereas they did not before. Plugged the 24pin back in to check and the case fans only turn on when I use the paper clip.

Edit: false alarm, only happened the one time.

Just now, Andre01 said:

I'm just going through your steps currently when I got to the step about bridging the 24pin. I'm not sure if this means anything but when I did it the case fans began spinning whereas they did not before. Plugged the 24pin back in to check and the case fans only turn on when I use the paper clip.

Awesome, that tells us a lot.

Are the fans connected Via a fan hub, Molex, or through the motherboard?

what you are doing is turning the psu on

Edit: false alarm, only happened to one time.

Damn.

14 minutes ago, Endeavor01 said:

0.1V and 0V. Tried on multiple molex connectors.

Just now, Andre01 said:

0.1V and 0V. Tried on multiple molex connectors.

If this is accurate, try another power supply.

Do note that some multi meters have different voltage modes to test higher voltages. You may have it on a 100v setting which would round 12v to 0.1 and 5v to 0.0.

Just now, Endeavor01 said:

If this is accurate, try another power supply.

Do note that some multi meters have different voltage modes to test higher voltages. You may have it on a 100v setting which would round 12v to 0.1 and 5v to 0.0.

I will try get another psu to test tommorow morning. I used 20V DC so I'm afraid it is accurate.

11 minutes ago, Andre01 said:

I will try get another psu to test tommorow morning. I used 20V DC so I'm afraid it is accurate.

maybe try it with all cables disconnected from the pc?

maybe try it with all cables disconnected from the pc?

I've taken out the psu and am doing the same thing with just 24 pin power plugged in. Same issue.

I've taken out the psu and am doing the same thing with just 24 pin power plugged in. Same issue.

if you have it plugged in the mother board, unplugg it and bridge the green and black (there is only one green wire) wires with something of metal, that will turn the psu on, then try again

if you have it plugged in the mother board, unplugg it and bridge the green and black (there is only one green wire) wires with something of metal, that will turn the psu on, them try again

Thats what im doing, it's acts just as it did when it was plugged in. The psu starts humming put the fan does not spin up.

Thats what im doing, it's acts just as it did when it was plugged in. The psu starts humming put the fan does not spin up.

what does the multimeter say during that?

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

what does the multimeter say during that?

I think he has the problem pinned down, but thanks for the input.

22 minutes ago, Andre01 said:

It seems like the power supply is shorting out, this usually only happens when something like a USB port breaks and bridges its 5v rail with the grounded casing but because it's only on the power supply it seems like a manufacturer defect.