Windows 98 se install from usb error

Lonewolf33651

Im attempting to install windows 98 on an older tower and i cant get past the first screen of the setup. Im using freedos to start it and manually starting the windows 98 setup. 

Freedos starts from the usb and use cd command to navigate to the win98 folder. From there i just run setup.exe and it boots into the windows 98 setup. As soon as the setup starts it gives me an error saying windows requires atleast 16MB of memory. I hit ok and it just sends me back to freedos. 

Im using an old Dell tower and i only have 512MB Ram installed and im using an old 8GB IDE hard drive. I cannot get past this error. Can anybody help me? Ive inserted how the folders are set up on the flash drive. It was made bootable using Rufus

20170515_022404.jpg

20170515_022413.jpg

I think win98 and usb boot dont rly like each other, If you plan to use that thing I would install some light linux instead

I can confirm that Win98 and 98 SE really hate usb. Your best option is to burn a cd and install it that way. Also make sure to have all your drivers on another disk ready to go after the base install or you won't have much working. 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Unfortunately i dont have any more cds. I do have win98 se on a cd but its not a bootable cd. I also cant seem to get freedos to read or even acknowledge that it has a cd drive installed

I'd say Install FreeDOS on that drive after formatting it as FAT32

Then copy the contents of the usb stick in a folder on the hard drive - make a folder called winsetup for example and then copy the contents of WIN98 or whatever has the *.cab files in that folder.

Reboot from hard disk , go in that folder and run setup

commands should be mkdir to create folders, copy x:\win98\*.* c:\winsetup\*.* or something like that to copy the files , CD to change working directory etc 

use /? to get command line help or type HELP

If you don't want to use command line, add a copy of Dos Navigator to your freedos usb stick and run dos navigator to get a nice interface : https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/dn/

The windows 98 setup.exe also has some parameters, one of them may make it ignore memory limit.

See http://www.thpc.info/how/switches9x.html  - maybe /im (skip memory check) would be useful in your case

PS. You could also make these tests lots of times fast until you get it right, by installing VirtualBox and creating a virtual computer with a 8 GB hdd and 512 MB of memory and a similar processor (make it emulate a Pentium 2 or something like that)

11 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

I think win98 and usb boot dont rly like each other, If you plan to use that thing I would install some light linux instead

Im using an old Dell tower just to install win98. Once its on the hdd my plan is to move it to an actual self built win98 tower

Also my memory is really fuzzy but I think only from Windows 98 SE there's proper USB support inside the operating system. Won't have USB with plain regular '98 edition. 

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd say Install FreeDOS on that drive after formatting it as FAT32

Then copy the contents of the usb stick in a folder on the hard drive - make a folder called winsetup for example and then copy the contents of WIN98 or whatever has the *.cab files in that folder.

Reboot from hard disk , go in that folder and run setup

commands should be mkdir to create folders, copy x:\win98\*.* c:\winsetup\*.* or something like that to copy the files , CD to change working directory etc 

use /? to get command line help or type HELP

The windows 98 setup.exe also has some parameters, one of them may make it ignore memory limit.

See http://www.thpc.info/how/switches9x.html  - maybe /im (skip memory check) would be useful in your case

So your saying install freedos onto the hard drive then use the usb to move the win 98 install folder onto the hard drive? How would i find the usb drive letter to move the folders over? And i am attempting to do this with SE edition

Yes, create a bootable usb stick with freedos installation and everything, copy the contents of the Windows 98 disk to the usb stick, and if you want also add a copy of Dos Navigator to the usb stick to make transferring files easier (you launch dos navigator from freedos and it's like windows explorer but text only )

So you boot from usb, go in the freedos menu and choose install to disk (and format c: to fat32 if you want and gives you the option), then optionally go in dos navigator folder and run dn.exe or whatever the executable is and then copy the windows 98 folder to hdd, then go in that folder and run setup with whatever parameters you may need.

From that point, you can remove the usb stick as everything will happen from the hard drive.

Oh by the way... you should really consider finding a copy of Windows 2000 or even Windows 2003 and try running it on that system. 

Windows 2000 will accept Windows XP drivers but won't have the heavy interface of XP and will be more stable than Windows 98. It also uses little disk space... like maybe 300-500 MB..

Windows 2003 - while a server operating system - still accepts some Windows XP drivers so most if not all components will run using XP drivers and you can disable unneeded services to get memory usage low (usually around 80 MB for the operating system out of 512 MB).

The only downside of Windows 2003 would be that most free antivirus software won't work on server operating systems. Other than that.. no Windows updates issues, no nagging and licensing issues like you'd have with Windows XP

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Oh by the way... you should really consider finding a copy of Windows 2000 or even Windows 2003 and try running it on that system. 

Windows 2000 will accept Windows XP drivers but won't have the heavy interface of XP and will be more stable than Windows 98. It also uses little disk space... like maybe 300-500 MB..

Windows 2003 - while a server operating system - still accepts some Windows XP drivers so most if not all components will run using XP drivers and you can disable unneeded services to get memory usage low (usually around 80 MB for the operating system out of 512 MB).

The only downside of Windows 2003 would be that most free antivirus software won't work on server operating systems. Other than that.. no Windows updates issues, no nagging and licensing issues like you'd have with Windows XP

I may try finding windows 2000 but the system this will be on only has an AMD Duron 700Mhz and 256MB RAM. Im not sure about which GPU as of yet however

5 minutes ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

I may try finding windows 2000 but the system this will be on only has an AMD Duron 700Mhz and 256MB RAM. Im not sure about which GPU as of yet however

underclock it to get the 'saddest cpu' award (CPU-Z lowest clocked duron)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

That's fast enough for windows 2000. 256mb also works.

Default install will use maybe 50-60MB of memory. If you go and disable some pointless services you can get it down to 30-40 MB.

Lots of pluses also... proper 32bit os, more apps available, stable...