Camera filters for different sized lenses

So I'm looking for filters to use in my camera, such as ND filters and gradients. However I have different sized lenses and don't want to buy loads of the same filters for different lenses. So I want one that can go in different sized lenses, such as something that stretches to the lens and can slot in different filters. 

Does anyone know of one that can adjust size to fit different lenses?

Just now, C0nn0r said:

So I'm looking for filters to use in my camera, such as ND filters and gradients. However I have different sized lenses and don't want to buy loads of the same filters for different lenses. So I want one that can go in different sized lenses, such as something that stretches to the lens and can slot in different filters. 

Does anyone know of one that can adjust size to fit different lenses?

OK for screw on filters, I normally recommend getting just solid NDs and Polarizers.  If you have lenses with a wide range of different sizes, then my suggestion is to get multiple filters that cover a range of sizes.  For example, say you have lenses with filter sizes that go from 77, 67, 62, 55, 52.  Get one set to cover the 77-62 size range and one set to cover the 55-52 size range.  You don't need to buy individual filters for each lens, just one or two sizes that cover multiple ranges and use step up rings.

For ND gradient filters, I recommend getting slot in filters.  For slot in filters, just get one size and use a combination of step up rings and different size filter holder adapter rings.

Since filters are made of glass or plastic/resin or even transparent ceramic, they aren't stretchable.  They're not made of rubber.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Agreed. Find the lens with the largest filter thread you have, and buy filters at that size. Then get adapter rings for each with a filter thread up to ~15mm smaller than that, and if you have other lenses more than 15mm smaller, get another set for that size + below.

For gradients, slot-in filters are probably the best option. You can get screw-on filters that allow you to align the horizon perfectly (if they're the rotatable kind), but they're quite a bit more expensive. A slot-in holder will usually only allow for 90° rotations, but that usually isn't a huge issue. For short exposures you can just hold the filter by hand. You'll also save a lot with slot-ins as you only need 1 set of filters.