How can i disable a fan from my gpu

I have a r9 280x toxic by sapphire and my fan just started being floppy and making noise. It is pretty much done. I have a spare fan to use and I want to disable the problematic fan. Can I just put something on the way so it won't move at all or is this going to create a problem in the long run by delivering power to it? Is there any other way, other than unplugging the cord? Can I cut it?

16 minutes ago, Gns15 said:

I have a r9 280x toxic by sapphire and my fan just started being floppy and making noise. It is pretty much done. I have a spare fan to use and I want to disable the problematic fan. Can I just put something on the way so it won't move at all or is this going to create a problem in the long run by delivering power to it? Is there any other way, other than unplugging the cord? Can I cut it?

Welcome to the Forums!

Your going to want to physically disconnect them or ideally replace them as it may get hot without one of the fans. 

14 minutes ago, Gns15 said:

I would think the best way to replace the fan is to shut down your system, unplug the power cords, unscrew the brackets, pull out the card, take off the shroud then replace the fan

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Welcome to the Forums!

Your going to want to physically disconnect them or ideally replace them as it may get hot without one of the fans. 

Can I unplug the fan without taking apart the cooler and having to re apply paste?

11 minutes ago, Gns15 said:

Can I unplug the fan without taking apart the cooler and having to re apply paste?

Potentially as long as you are able to physically get at the connector.

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Potentially as long as you are able to physically get at the connector.

I just saw a video on YouTube on the same model but on the side of gigabyte and he unscrewed 4 screws and took of the shroud with the fan. I can't get to my gpu right now so ill wait till tomorrow. Hope everything goes well or else ill ask for professional assistance. Thanks for the replies guys.... Just a temporary fix cause I plan to get my hands.on a new Rx 460 by gigabyte

29 minutes ago, Gns15 said:

The shroud + fans should come off by themselves. The metal heatsink should be separate from it. So as long as you don't unscrew the entire thing, you'll be fine.

I would suggest looking for a spare fan on ebay, shouldn't cost you more than $10~$15. Just make sure it's the right size (like 30mm/40mm, etc...) and has the right pin-out (2pin/3pin/4pin)

When you take the fan out, it should have a part/model number on it that you can look up to help you on your quest to find a new fan.

Because your GPU is designed to be cooled with multiple fans. It only having a single fan will cause the GPU temperatures to rise up, potentially to unsafe levels. So do look up a spare fan.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

The shroud + fans should come off by themselves. The metal heatsink should be separate from it. So as long as you don't unscrew the entire thing, you'll be fine.

I would suggest looking for a spare fan on ebay, shouldn't cost you more than $10~$15. Just make sure it's the right size (like 30mm/40mm, etc...) and has the right pin-out (2pin/3pin/4pin)

When you take the fan out, it should have a part/model number on it that you can look up to help you on your quest to find a new fan.

Because your GPU is designed to be cooled with multiple fans. It only having a single fan will cause the GPU temperatures to rise up, potentially to unsafe levels. So do look up a spare fan.

I'll try my best.