UPS died - What to do?

Principis

Hi, 

We have an old MGE (now Eaton) Protection Station 500 (FUE-540501) and recently it started beeping. (I don't know when because I'm only in the weekend at home)

The light for the surge protection is off. The manual says I need to contact after sales support.

Lazy as I am, I don't want to contact them because I hate customer support...

What should I do? Just throw it away? Or should I contact support? (it's almost 8-10 years old I think).

We had 2 of those but the other one died completely.

I think I'm going to buy a new one. (Last year I bought an Eaton Ellipse Pro 1500X for the server and stuff.)

Should I buy the same but from Eaton or a different model? (it still exists) or should I buy a different brand like APC?

It's for a pc, 4 printers and a display. (only the pc has to have battery backup).

Or do you guys think battery backup is not necesary? 

It's for our business so it has to be solid and not cheap or unreliable.

Thanks in advance :)

Just replace it with APC models suited to your budget. I prefer APC because it has better support in my area, and I am more familiar with it (mainly because my router can read the battery data directly).

Eaton also is not a bad choice, I never had any experience with those units, but I heard only good things.

Anyway, don't skimp on UPS, especially on business environment.

Could just need a new battery, idk not familiar with that one, and it seems to be a powerstrip one. Keep in mind a UPS is not a permanent investment, they go bad over time. If you get the right one, replacing the battery is a breeze. I'd get a fullsize one. APC is a good suggestion. I also have a cyberpower one that's been good. 

Side note, power went out recently and thanks to a 900w UPS didn't even need to get out my generator. Thing is loud. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

14 minutes ago, Principis said:

-SNIP-

Sounds like it may need a new battery as said, you can test this buy putting a non-crucial load onto the UPS and unplugging it from the wall to see if it sustains the load or just gives an alarm. 

I just rechecked the UPS and the manual.

The UPS is beeping every 5 seconds but it's not in the manual why it does that...

and the battery doesn't work anymore.

I don't know if it's worth to replace the battery.

I missed some replies...

19 minutes ago, dlink377 said:

Just replace it with APC models suited to your budget. I prefer APC because it has better support in my area, and I am more familiar with it (mainly because my router can read the battery data directly).

Eaton also is not a bad choice, I never had any experience with those units, but I heard only good things.

Anyway, don't skimp on UPS, especially on business environment.

I think I'm going to do that. I'm going to search what's best for me.

For reference, I live in Europe

2 minutes ago, Principis said:

So last question.

APC Back-UPS or Pro?

i have their Back-UPS at home and it works very well.

at work we mostly have pro, and in that specific case it is kinda worth the extra price, but wouldnt call it a necessity.

--

should also note, you can just plug APC's stuff into usb (if it has a usb port) and it'll detect as a battery, just as if your desktop was a laptop.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i have their Back-UPS at home and it works very well.

at work we mostly have pro, and in that specific case it is kinda worth the extra price, but wouldnt call it a necessity.

--

should also note, you can just plug APC's stuff into usb (if it has a usb port) and it'll detect as a battery, just as if your desktop was a laptop.

Are they silent?

Because our Eaton 5PX 1500 is extremely loud (but it's for a server)

Just now, Principis said:

Are they silent?

Because our Eaton 5PX 1500 is extremely loud (but it's for a server)

didnt check the pro's yet really, but their normal Back-UPS systems are fanless.

The 500VA are all C13... I need schuko (or the belgian/french plugs)

1 minute ago, Principis said:

The 500VA are all C13... I need schuko (or the belgian/french plugs)

check alternate, they should have all of them in schuko format as well (for about a tenner more i believe)

should add my experiences with APC, kind of as a recommendation as well:

- for my modem and router, i have this thing:

https://www.alternate.be/APC/SurgeArrest-+-Battery-Backup-325VA-UPS/html/product/81732?lk=9954

ignore the one star review, dude just had a faulty unit. my first one was a faulty as well, just give it a test run the first day and if it goes fine all is good.

- for my server, i have this thing:

https://www.alternate.be/APC/Back-UPS-BX700U-GR/html/product/1186209?lk=9954

does the job as expected, dont make the same mistake as i do and accidentially plug something in the surge protect only socket :P

- for the rest of my desk includig my desktop, i have this thing:

https://www.alternate.be/APC/Back-UPS-BX1400U-GR/html/product/1186215?lk=9954

same as before, except this one doesnt have the surge protect socket :D