Annoyingly loud noise coming from HDD.

Aiish

As the title says, my HDD is making a really loud, vibrating noise, I've noticed it only really happens when gaming or browsing, I've tried cleaning the PC with compressed air, ( this has happened before and cleaning it solved it ) changed the drive bay, and removed another HDD to give it room and none of it has worked. ( Although changing the drive bay stopped it from making the noise while browsing, but once I tried gaming it came back and hasn't stopped since. )

Any help is appreciated.

It's not clicking, is it? That's bad. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Probably dying

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

It's not clicking, is it? That's bad. 

Nope.

2 minutes ago, Aiish said:

As the title says, my HDD is making a really loud, vibrating noise, I've noticed it only really happens when gaming or browsing, I've tried cleaning the PC with compressed air, ( this has happened before and cleaning it solved it ) changed the drive bay, and removed another HDD to give it room and none of it has worked. ( Although changing the drive bay stopped it from making the noise while browsing, but once I tried gaming it came back and hasn't stopped since. )

Any help is appreciated.

Really loud vibrating noise? Maybe you haven't installed it into your case properly.

More likely that your HDD is dying and you need to replace is ASAP!

If it's a high RPM drive and it's loose in the drive bay it might rattle around.

Is it screwed down so it can't vibrate around?

Or if you touch it does it dampen the noise?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If it's a high RPM drive and it's loose in the drive bay it might rattle around.

Is it screwed down so it can't vibrate around?

Or if you touch it does it dampen the noise?

I think it's a 7200RPM drive and it's not screwed down tight, i don't know how to explain it but the case is a CoolerMaster Elite 430 if that helps.

And no, touching it doesn't help.

2 minutes ago, Aiish said:

I think it's a 7200RPM drive and it's not screwed down tight, i don't know how to explain it but the case is a CoolerMaster Elite 430 if that helps.

And no, touching it doesn't help.

If it's making funny sounds and touching it doesn't dampen the noise it sounds like impending drive failure. Is this your boot drive or a secondary drive?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If it's making funny sounds and touching it doesn't dampen the noise it sounds like impending drive failure. Is this your boot drive or a secondary drive?

Boot drive.

Just now, Aiish said:

Boot drive.

I'd look into replacing it. While your're at it maybe give yourself an upgrade if it's in your budget. An SSD would be nice.

Out of curiosity what brand is the drive and can you estimate how long you've had it?

I'd look into replacing it. While your're at it maybe give yourself an upgrade if it's in your budget. An SSD would be nice.

Out of curiosity what brand is the drive and can you estimate how long you've had it?

It's a WD Blue and I've had it for around maybe 2-3 years. 

Also I have another HDD which is like 5 years old but I haven't had any problems with it, would it be ok to temporarily use that as a boot drive for like 2-3 months? ( Planning to build a new PC in August. ) 

3 minutes ago, Aiish said:

Also I have another HDD which is like 5 years old but I haven't had any problems with it, would it be ok to temporarily use that as a boot drive for like 2-3 months? ( Planning to build a new PC in August. ) 

As long as the older drive is healthy (use CrystalDiskInfo) then it should be fine, if not the fastest.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

As long as the older drive is healthy (use CrystalDiskInfo) then it should be fine, if not the fastest.

Ok, just need to copy and paste all the files from one hard drive to the other right?

5 minutes ago, Aiish said:

Well, reputable company. WD blue is their mainstream consumer class drives. I'd think the drive should have lived longer than that but heat and if the drive gets worked a lot can reduce its lifespan (not significantly but enough to notice).

Like Jamiec1130 said, if the older drive is healthy it can work as your temporary.

Just now, Aiish said:

Ok, just need to copy and paste all the files from one hard drive to the other right?

Not exactly. The OS won't copy the way you're probably thinking it will.

Not exactly. The OS won't copy the way you're probably thinking it will.

How would I do it?

1 minute ago, Aiish said:

I'd just throw a fresh install on there and copy your data. Just copying all files won't work. You could clone, but it's not recommended. After all this isn't what you are going to be using for a long time. 

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I'd just throw a fresh install on there and copy your data. Just copying all files won't work. You could clone, but it's not recommended. After all this isn't what you are going to be using for a long time. 

How would I do that?

2 hours ago, Aiish said:

How would I do that?

Download a Windows ISO and make a DVD or USB drive and install it onto the older drive. Make sure that drive is blank though. 

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Download a Windows ISO and make a DVD or USB drive and install it onto the older drive. Make sure that drive is blank though. 

Thanks but now i'm not sure if it actually is my HDD making the noise, from certain angles it does sound like it's coming from the HDD but after listening really close it now sounds like the noise is coming from the PSU. I recorded the sound and i'll post it if you want it.

Just now, Aiish said:

Thanks but now i'm not sure if it actually is my HDD making the noise, from certain angles it does sound like it's coming from the HDD but after listening really close it now sounds like the noise is coming from the PSU. I recorded the sound and i'll post it if you want it.

Try starting the computer with any HDDs unplugged. 

5 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Try starting the computer with any HDDs unplugged. 

The noise only really starts after it goes under a heavy load, so I'm not sure how I could get PC going.

22 minutes ago, Aiish said:

Then your PSU may be bad. 

Then your PSU may be bad. 

Do you want the sound clip to confirm this?