Sales receipt/invoice for pc building as hobby.

APasz

Looking for people who build pc's for others as a hobby and give a receipt of some description.

I was wondering how everyone sets up theirs. Also not entirely sure what it should be called.

So basically what things are required?

What things would be helpful?

-アパゾ

I used to buy standard double copy receipts (one I would keep, the second goes to the client) when I was working as an employee for my dad's service.

Now I just use a template I set up a few years ago and print them in doubles and have the client sign.

Remember that by doing that you have to declare the income (I don't, but that's just me. Not going to set myself up for paying fees and taxes for a couple builds per month).

I can give you my template (once I get home) if that helps you get an idea.

It's basically date, serial number of build, component list, extra services, software installed and an 'observations' field and, by request, fees paid.

I make it clear that it isn't a fiscal document and that it serves as a notice of what the build contains (hardware and software) and what services were performed.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

As noted above, you can create your own "Invoice" using something like Word or Excel.

Hell, just open up word, and search the online template database for "Invoice", pick one you like, and then customize it.

I'd recommend printing two copies, and make the customer sign both copies.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

~snip~

-アパゾ

I think this will help you a bit in determining your obligations:

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/starting-your-own-business/before-you-get-started/are-you-in-business-/

As for the invoice, an invoice needs to contain your name (business name if registered as one), your contact phone number, the total price payable.  If you have an ABN it will have to be on there too.  And lastly the date the goods/services were made available.

As you are a hobby and not likely to need an ABN or register for GST, don't worry about those and more importantly don't charge GST.

EDIT: I should add, you are only going to have to write up an invoice for those who request it as proof you did the work (either to claim on their own tax or as proof in seeking legal remedy for any component fault arising from assembly/advice you gave)

EDDIT2: I found this, you can use it instead of an invoice when receiving payments (when you don't have an ABN) from a business that would otherwise have to withhold PAYG amounts under tax law:

https://www.ato.gov.au/forms/statement-by-a-supplier-not-quoting-an-abn/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I use a template that I adjusted from MS Excel. I only sell 50-100 PCs a year and most clients don't really care for a receipt but I keep their info on file for warranty reasons (90 days/1 year).