Choose which laptop

flamer7

So I've narrowed down my choice of laptops to 2, the MSI GE 40, and the Macbook Pro 13. I will be going to college next year, and I want you guys to choose which one I get. Gonna be using it for minor gaming(Dota 2, LoL), watching movies, doing homework for college, basic entertainment.

Well....What are you going to be doing with it?

Just edited it sorry

Get the MSI GE 40.

The macbook pro is too small and overpriced.

Plus, you cant play most games.

Seriously, Its a Macbook! What do you expect?

CPU Intel Core i7-3537U @ 3.1GHz  GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE 740M  RAM 4GB DDR3  Storage 500GB 5400 RPM  DISPLAY 1366 x 768 Laptop Display MOBO Laptop MOBO  CASE Laptop Case  PSU Laptop PSU  OS Windows 8.1 x64

Get the MSI GE 40.

The macbook pro is too small and overpriced.

Plus, you cant play most games.

Seriously, Its a Macbook! What do you expect?

I won't be gaming much just 10% of the time, what do you think?

I would quite personally go with the Mac for college, its got everything you need, small compact can play LOL and Dota reasonably well, its got a full suite of applications, based on linux for developing and anyone who has used a mac will agree... its far less buggy and its far more stable.   Even though I am a PC person I must be totally un-biased

I would quite personally go with the Mac for college, its got everything you need, small compact can play LOL and Dota reasonably well, its got a full suite of applications, based on linux for developing and anyone who has used a mac will agree... its far less buggy and its far more stable.   Even though I am a PC person I must be totally un-biased

Will take into consideration :)

knowing the people on this forum the ge450 is gonna win. its kinda biased here

Ye haha

So I've narrowed down my choice of laptops to 2, the MSI GE 40, and the Macbook Pro 13. I will be going to college next year, and I want you guys to choose which one I get. Gonna be using it for minor gaming(Dota 2, LoL), watching movies, doing homework for college, basic entertainment.

Why in the feel would you consider getting the normal macbook when the retina is like 100$ more? Get the base model retina.

Why in the feel would you consider getting the normal macbook when the retina is like 100$ more? Get the base model retina.

I am getting the retina! Sorry didnt add in

Wow way more GE40 compared to MBP. So it's better for college?

I think it's just because most of us dont like what apple do/make. 

And this forum is made up of allot of gamers who think you will have a better experience playing on the MSI Laptop (Even if your just playing LoL or Dota)

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

I think it's just because most of us dont like what apple do/make. 

And this forum is made up of allot of gamers who think you will have a better experience playing on the MSI Laptop (Even if your just playing LoL or Dota)

Yea I guess, I'll just get the MSI anyway

Will take into consideration :)

Ye haha

I own a Macbook pro 13 and used it before I got my PC

I own a Macbook pro 13 and used it before I got my PC

True, many people I know like the mac, but say that NO gaming at all :(

True, many people I know like the mac, but say that NO gaming at all :(

HEY Dota 2 and Diablo 2 are both availible for mac, and HD graphics 4000, or 4600 or whatever aren't all that bad, especially when playing games that aren't super intensive.  As long as the mac requirements on both games are equal or worse than your mac specs your all good.

HEY Dota 2 and Diablo 2 are both availible for mac, and HD graphics 4000, or 4600 or whatever aren't all that bad, especially when playing games that aren't super intensive.  As long as the mac requirements on both games are equal or worse than your mac specs your all good.

True. Difficult ughh

The HD 5100 graphics the 13.3"mbpr is fine to play lol or dots, or web based games etc.

Infact., if younpkay at 1280x800 you'll be able to play most games out there on the Mac platform

Agreed. A mac for college is aslot better. More reliable. also better battery life if you get the Air.

You can't play Dota 2 on Macbook unless they released a compatibility update

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

I am getting the retina! Sorry didnt add in

The Retina changes everything, the battery life and screen on that thing are amazing.  It also has an SSD, not a big one but its fast.

• 3 weeks later...
ok nice. They added compatibility. But I know someone who has input lag with mouse while playing LOL at lowest settings on macbook+retina display.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

ok nice. They added compatibility. But I know someone who has input lag with mouse while playing LOL at lowest settings on macbook+retina display.

Yeah, Macs really aren't the best for gaming.  But it all depends on what you put first, because Macs can play the games you want to play but they aren't going to be optimized so to speak.   It also really depends on the mouse he got because I know there are some mice that really hate games on macs.  So I would recommend getting a logitech M560 or m950t for gaming.   

MSI.

Pros

+ Better in almost every single way.

Cons

- No number pad or backlight.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM