AMD Noob OC'ing 1700x, Cinebench Crashing

I'm getting pretty frustrated with my attempts to overclock my first AMD CPU, the 1700x. I test stability by running Cinebench R15 (because I see YouTube pros testing this way) but the program often crashes. Not necessarily the PC itself crashing, but I'l get an error that keeps the render from completing, then closes the program. The .txt generated cites an ACCESS_VIOLATION.

Anyway, the best I could get (while still having the render fully complete) was 3.7 GHz, at a voltage of 1.375. This seems very high, especially since 3.65 GHz finished the render at a voltage setting of 1.31. If the Cinebench test is crashing, does that mean I've hit the peak of the processor's OC capabilities?

If so I guess my question is then, do I just have a dud? I thought all 1700x CPU could boost up to 3.8, but I can't get mine to complete the Cinebench R15 render at anything over 3.7 GHz. Not to mention, I since went back to the 3.65 GHz OC that worked earlier, and now the program crashes... 

Any thoughts would be great!

UPDATE:

I messed around a bit with settings and am now able to run/complete the Cinebench render at 3.75 GHz, running at 1.29v.

I'm currently running air cooling, until I can get an AM4 bracket for my Kraken x61. Water-cooling should obviously get me lower temps, but will that also get me some more headroom for overclocking?

Also, after finally getting that stable overclock, I realized I was on v1001 firmware for my mobo (ASUS Crosshair VI Hero) and that there's a newer version available. I installed it, but now I'm wondering if I should spend the time to re-test and attempt higher OC's now that I have the newest firmware?

Thanks guys!

Try increasing the voltage to 1.35 and you can hit 3.7 and more, also 3.65.

4 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

What temps are you getting?

Aida64 Stability Test shows me leveling out to ~69C. 

EDIT: Currently on my 3.65 GHz OC at 1.31 voltage setting.

Set the SOC voltage to 1.1 as well, this increases stability alot according to AMD.

Good chance you've just hit your max speeds. Since you need such a high voltage differance between them. My i7 7700k can run Cinebench at 5.1Ghz at 1.35V but i can't run 5.2Ghz at 1.45V...Getting some type of error after a few seconds of Cinebench. Not willing to go any higher on that voltage, I just wanted to try for fun :)

I did some researching online and made some changes in the BIOS and began OC testing from much lower volts. I would choose a clock speed and voltage, then run R15 5 times, noting the end score, if it didn't crash the program or my PC, then averaging them. I was ultimately able to get 3.75 GHz at 1.29v and am able to consistently run Cinebench R15 to completion. I got 3.8 GHz at 1.36v, but that only completed the Cinebench once, then crashed the PC the next try, so I decided that was no-go.

I'm currently running air cooling, until I can get an AM4 bracket for my Kraken x61. Water-cooling should obviously get me lower temps, but will that also get me some more headroom for overclocking?

Also, after finally getting that stable overclock, I realized I was on v1001 firmware for my mobo (ASUS Crosshair VI Hero) and that there's a newer version available. I installed it, but now I'm wondering if I should spend the time to re-test and attempt higher OC's now that I have the newest firmware?

Thanks guys!

maybe you just aren't lucky with your chip

I can run 3,8GHz stable at 1,35V without any problems. I will try to even lower my voltage or increasing my frequency on that voltage once I get to it

But 3,7GHz unstable at 1,375V ... that's just s shame.

Not to mention you are using 1700X and I'm using 1700 without X.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Necrodor21 said:

mobo?

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

16 hours ago, dbG33K said:

I'm getting pretty frustrated with my attempts to overclock my first AMD CPU, the 1700x. I test stability by running Cinebench R15 (because I see YouTube pros testing this way) but the program often crashes. Not necessarily the PC itself crashing, but I'l get an error that keeps the render from completing, then closes the program. The .txt generated cites an ACCESS_VIOLATION.

Anyway, the best I could get (while still having the render fully complete) was 3.7 GHz, at a voltage of 1.375. This seems very high, especially since 3.65 GHz finished the render at a voltage setting of 1.31. If the Cinebench test is crashing, does that mean I've hit the peak of the processor's OC capabilities?

If so I guess my question is then, do I just have a dud? I thought all 1700x CPU could boost up to 3.8, but I can't get mine to complete the Cinebench R15 render at anything over 3.7 GHz. Not to mention, I since went back to the 3.65 GHz OC that worked earlier, and now the program crashes... 

Any thoughts would be great!

UPDATE:

I messed around a bit with settings and am now able to run/complete the Cinebench render at 3.75 GHz, running at 1.29v.

Thanks guys!

Oc is the same on the new bios just more stable ram oc's 

I assume your on 1007 now ? 

Check put @tom_w141's pstate oc guide for our boards

Also our board supports am3 cooler as there are 2 sets of holes so get your cooler now it will work 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

55 minutes ago, dbG33K said:

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

Yes retest on new bios, if you were using 1002 the latest official release is very different to 1107, 1107 had AGESA 1.0.0.4 which made the platform a lot more stable. Flash and retest with this BIOS. @jjohnthedon1 was assuming you were using a beta BIOS (found here) but you were using the last release BIOS 1002 which comparatively is very old.

Yes you'll have more headroom on water, if you have an AM3 backplate you can use an AM3 front bracket on the Crosshair it has 2 sets of holes to support both AM3/4 back plates.

Are you using a clean windows 10 install? You should be.

For am overclock that ramps clock speed up/down as required see the link in my signature.

3 hours ago, Simon771 said:

maybe you just aren't lucky with your chip

I can run 3,8GHz stable at 1,35V without any problems. I will try to even lower my voltage or increasing my frequency on that voltage once I get to it

But 3,7GHz unstable at 1,375V ... that's just s shame.

Not to mention you are using 1700X and I'm using 1700 without X.

i'd expect you can do 3.8 at 1.3V-1.32V i could do 1.29V on my 1700

22 hours ago, Frenky said:

Set the SOC voltage to 1.1 as well, this increases stability alot according to AMD.

stability for other component and doesnt affect your cpu

8 hours ago, dbG33K said:

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

sory didnt see that

maybe your problem is thermal

in certain case high conductivity will auto shutdown your cpu(thats why asus good mobo)