svchost.exe - No Disk Error. Something to do with my multi-card reader

Go to solution Solved by Hybrid Divide,

I think I have this solved. Between windows finally actually finding a new driver, and some other stuff, the errors seem to have gone. 

I'll report back if it starts up again.

Thanks!

I have a Rosewill RDCR-11003 internal multi-card reader installed in my PC.  And while I get the occasional "last device removed" error from it, it has otherwise been working fine, until now.  I believe it is the source of some recent errors I've been getting.

Now, whenever I start the my main OS (Windows 10), I get a bunch of "svchost.exe - No Disk" errors.  One for each of the drive letters assigned for the card reader.  One odd thing.  While I can see those drives.  Even if I try to hid them (empty drives) in my folder options, they won't hide.

There are no drivers for this thing that I can find anywhere.  It just uses Windows defaults.  Uninstalling it doesn't seem to help.  Neither does unplugging and plugging it back in.  Disabling it doesn't do anything either.  When I re-enable it, the errors just come right back.

I would chalk this up to shoddy hardware, but I also have a cloned install of that Windows 10 install on a different SSD, and when I boot into that one, everything works fine.  No errors at all.  But I can't think of anything I did to wreck the first one.  The errors just started up one day out of the blue, but only seem to happen on my main Win10 install.  More importantly, I can't think of how I could fix this.

Here's hoping someone out there can help!

Thanks. :)

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K

RAM: 32GB DDR4

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (Rev: 1.1) With latest F20d firmware)

Boot SSD: Samsung 500GB SATA

Storage HDD: Western Digital 3TB HDD

My guess is there's a software that is looking for something on those drives.

Try looking at the even viewer to see the details of the errors.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

@wkdpaul

Thank you for your quick reply!  

Is there something specific I should be looking for in the event viewer?  I won't be able to check this till I get home from work.

In a related note, any idea why I sometimes get "last usb device removed" errors coming from that, even if I never inserted or removed anything to start with?  Thanks.

Not sure about the "last usb device removed", never saw that message, not sure what type of message that is.

As for the "No disk" error from svhost, when looking in the event viewer, simply try to look at the errors and warnings you will see in under "Applications", it should give details (that you could post here if you're not sure) and that would help finding what the problem is.

Alternatively, you could simply disable the error message, but IMO, that's not a good idea unless you know what you're doing.

Here's a guide on how the event viewer works;

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-use-event-viewer-in-windows-10/

Gotcha.  Next time I get that USB error, I'll have to make a separate post about it.

Thanks for your help.  I'll report back tonight after I get a look at it. :)

no problem!

I also moved your thread to the Troubleshooting section, you'll most likely get more answers than just me ;)

I think I have this solved. Between windows finally actually finding a new driver, and some other stuff, the errors seem to have gone. 

I'll report back if it starts up again.

Thanks!