Hi I am to buy Noctua NH-U9B SE2 Air Cooler will this be enough to keep temperature under control i7 7700k over clock 4.8 or I neeed to go for bigger Air Cooler. I am also have asus gtx 1070 strix 

I would consider either a bigger aircooler or a water cooler, the nh-u9b is outperformed even by 120mm aio's.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I would consider either a bigger aircooler or a water cooler, the nh-u9b is outperformed even by 120mm aio's.

I am trying to avoid aio if I can. AIO are good these days it just I don't want to use them. 

Haaaaa...7700k's can't even handle over 4.4ghz without frying itself to death. You're gonna need some expensive cooling for a chip even Intel is telling owners to stop ocing

6 minutes ago, sam4747 said:

I am trying to avoid aio if I can. AIO are good these days it just I don't want to use them. 

Either buy an nh-D15 and wish for mercy or get a 240mm(thick)/280mm/360mm AIO. 

33 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Either buy an nh-D15 and wish for mercy or get a 240mm(thick)/280mm/360mm AIO. 

That what I am thinking too but nh-d15 is huge 

No, it probably wouldn't be enough. Why are you looking at this cooler in particular?

2 hours ago, sam4747 said:

That what I am thinking too but nh-d15 is huge 

Is that a problem?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, it probably wouldn't be enough. Why are you looking at this cooler in particular?

Is that a problem?

Bcz it's for $59.99 compared to nh-d15 $109.99 in Canada. My case has CPU Cooler max height is 167mm and d15 is 165mm in height. 

1 hour ago, sam4747 said:

Bcz it's for $59.99 compared to nh-d15 $109.99 in Canada. My case has CPU Cooler max height is 167mm and d15 is 165mm in height. 

The NH-U9B SE2 doesn't perform nearly as well though. 2mm of clearance between the cooler and side panel is perfectly fine.

If you're shooting for 4.8ghz, you need a better cooler. At minimum, something like the H5: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jK8H99/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5universal

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-U9B SE2 doesn't perform nearly as well though. 2mm of clearance between the cooler and side panel is perfectly fine.

If you're shooting for 4.8ghz, you need a better cooler. At minimum, something like the H5: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jK8H99/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5universal

So H5 is better then NH-D15?

1 minute ago, sam4747 said:

So H5 is better then NH-D15?

No. The H5 is probably the minimum amount of cooling needed if you want to shoot for 4.8ghz. The NH-D15 is better.

The NH-D15 is the king of air coolers and there aren't any other heatsinks that are strictly better. There are a few similarly performing alternatives but often with trade offs in other areas.

Nobody is asking the most important questions:  What case do you have, and do you have two free RAM slots?  That can seriously limit your options.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Nobody is asking the most important questions:  What case do you have, and do you have two free RAM slots?  That can seriously limit your options.

My case is Coolermaster MasterBox 5 Black & White. I have 4 Ram slot and planning to use 2X6gb low profile sticks. 

1 minute ago, sam4747 said:

My case is Coolermaster MasterBox 5 Black & White. I have 4 Ram slot and planning to use 2X6gb low profile sticks. 

Okay, that's got a 167mm maximum height, so all of these are ruled out.  As far as watercooling, it says "240mm / 280mm radiator, up to 50mm thickness without fan".   Personally I don't like watercooling.  The AIO units don't perform much better than a good air cooler but is more expensive and louder, and a custom loop is even more expensive.  Both can also leak, ruining your entire system.

You don't need low profile RAM, just don't get anything with heat spreaders.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Okay, that's got a 167mm maximum height, so all of these are ruled out.  As far as watercooling, it says "240mm / 280mm radiator, up to 50mm thickness without fan".   Personally I don't like watercooling.  The AIO units don't perform much better than a good air cooler but is more expensive and louder, and a custom loop is even more expensive.  Both can also leak, ruining your entire system.

You don't need low profile RAM, just don't get anything with heat spreaders.

So I guess I need to go for NH-D15

1 hour ago, sam4747 said:

So I guess I need to go for NH-D15

Well you don't need to, but it's a good option.  You can use PC Part Picker to find plenty of others that would work.

The only thing that I don't like about it (and I REALLY don't like it) is the color scheme. Whoever keeps insisting that Noctua make all their products diarrhea colored needs to be fired. 

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well you don't need to, but it's a good option.  You can use PC Part Picker to find plenty of others that would work.

The only thing that I don't like about it (and I REALLY don't like it) is the color scheme. Whoever keeps insisting that Noctua make all their products diarrhea colored needs to be fired. 

ya thats true there fan colour is UGLY at best 

11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Okay, that's got a 167mm maximum height, so all of these are ruled out.

The PH-TC14PE heatsink is only 160mm tall. The fans can be raised or lowered to accommodate ram height.

3 hours ago, sam4747 said:

ya thats true there fan colour is UGLY at best 

Eh, I like it. I find that ~50% of people start liking noctua's colors after using them after a while.