Why do you play games?

DopeZach

Hey, guys I just now started thinking of something. Why do people play games. I know some just for entertainment or to pass the time or whatever else. Just answer me this. Why do you play games? One of my main reasons and a game I play a lot which is "Minecraft". I like to kinda get away from reality for a second and just survive in minecraft or go creative and build whatever I can imagine. Mainly I like to get away from all the stress and problems with everything in real life and enjoy living in a another world so to speak haha.

I just like playing games, its more stimulating than reading or watching tv or whatever and you can do almost anything. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I'm really competitive, and gaming really satisfies my craving for competition.

It's a great way to get away and just do something that you can improve at all the time.

I love seeing improvement in my ability to do things as well, and gaming is also really helpful for that :)

I love getting lost in a fictional world. It's fascinating when done properly. That's the main reason I game. Especially when you approach it with the right mindset (child like curiosity and wonder).

Because I can and I enjoy it :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Escapism, like every kind of media... xD, well at least I think so ;)

But ultimately because I find it fun... To interact in a false world :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I tried to come up with something funny, but I can't be bothered.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Mainly because there's nothing else to do now, in summer I go out a lot more, but when it comes to Battlefield, competitivness is added to the mix too. 

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Hey, guys I just now started thinking of something. Why do people play games.

Dopamine. Enjoyment. unnecessary accomplishement. Experience.

Starting to get low (the need of it) as I grow up.

My exterior world is completely fine. Besides, everything I experienced in this world is part of this world.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

An escape from the real world. And my pc is the best playing music maching in my home, and that saying alot, i own some nice audio equipment. 

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

I play as an escape from reality really. I have a lot of stuff going on right now and a lot of things going through my head so playing games every now and then is a nice way just to clear my head for a little while

Why do we do anything for "entertainment"?  I think it's pretty obvious, it's fun.  I think gaming is just as enjoyable as any other hobby but it all depends on what you are in the mood for, something interactive or non-interactive.  I enjoy a wide range of activities myself, I love golf because it gets me outside to enjoy the weather and get involved in a physical activity that requires skill, coordination and good decision-making.  I love reading and watching movies because it lets me immerse myself in a world where the story can be about anything the author chooses.

For me gaming has always been about two things:  competition and role-playing.  I enjoy RPGs (and MMORPGs) because it gives you the chance to involve yourself (or a character of your choosing) in a story where you at least get the illusion of involvement.  Unlike books you get to take part in the adventure even if you don't get to make decisions about where the story goes.  MMORPGs are a draw because there is something amazing about getting 25-40 people together as a cohesive unit to take down larger than life bosses that no small party could ever beat.

On the other hand, competitive games are an outlet for comparing skill.  I'm a competitive person by nature, I always wanted to be the best athlete, know the most useless things (trivia) or be the go to guy for intelligent discussion or useful information (IE: the tech expert).  I have played FPS games at a semi-professional level and the feeling you get when you've played and practiced with a group of people long enough to have unspoken communication and honed strategies is very unique.  I've also recently gotten into MOBA games (League of Legends) and being able to adapt to a changing competitive environment and multiple positions has been a lot of fun.  The game itself is very repetitive, but each match is unique in what role you play, what your team composition is and what strategy you employ.

I understand people who think of games as an escape (and they can be) but for me it is just another hobby I enjoy.  Just like I enjoy watching people stream on Twitch.tv, just like I enjoy hanging out with friends and having deep conversations about how much better cartoons were when we were growing up than today.  Gaming isn't nearly the same stigma today as it once was, there is no reason to be ashamed of enjoying it and it is certainly a viable method of entertainment just like music, movies, books or anything else.  The key with any form of entertainment is balance, you should have other hobbies and passions too...

To explore. Its hard to get time or money to be able to go on a proper adventure in the real world.

I just like to go on adventures.