Strange "ghostly" installation of Chrome and Mozilla!

Hey there guys. So i logged in to W10, was reading my email inbox and about to send one to someone when my Google Chrome crashed! 

Of course, i was surprised since it kept crashing repeatedly and i was kinda worried. After a few secs i noticed that i had a Mozilla Firefox and a second Google Chrome icon in the taskbar which tickled my head screaming "Malware".

I ran Malwarebytes and it got over 180 results (.-.) and i have no clue where those "adwares" may have come from. After running it a couple of times since apparently there were still some left, i also checked for rogue folders on my system after i couldnt uninstall either Mozilla or the new Chrome. Heck, i uninstalled the Chrome i have and i may still have the adware installed version, since i could still launch it after uninstallation.

Malwarebytes and Avast report zero results now and i have gotten rid of the rotten Mozilla. Apparently, from my search, they were adware that intended to take me to some sort of amazon like website and with malicious ads (didnt happen anything on that regard) and i have no idea really where i got that from, since i dont visit "infected websites", i suppose.

Could it be an image i downloaded or an app permission i shouldnt have allowed to? Whatever the case may be, should i reinstall Windows 10 for that matter? What you think of this problem? Thanks for any input.

Groomlake Authority

I wanted to add that i found out that some "Dayglad" called folders were also infected and i am removing them right now.

Groomlake Authority

Also, keep in mind that you have malware that executes after and deploy the crap a certain time later (a week later, a month, even a year, or specific date every year).

33 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

-snip-

The only "pirated" things i have are Popcorn Time and used a key from Kinguin (paid for it) and thats it. Unless Youtube or Facebook have hiveminds for malware too. Just did a search on C: and it had 2506 results.... holy shiez.

Starting to want to buy the Malwarebytes Advanced just to show some appreciation xD. Chrome isnt crashing for now.

What you think, am i safe if i trust Malwarebytes and remove Popcorn Time?

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

The only "pirated" things i have are Popcorn Time and used a key from Kinguin (paid for it) and thats it. Unless Youtube or Facebook have hiveminds for malware too. Just did a search on C: and it had 2506 results.... holy shiez.

Starting to want to buy the Malwarebytes Advanced just to show some appreciation xD. Chrome isnt crashing for now.

What you think, am i safe if i trust Malwarebytes and remove Popcorn Time?

Popcorn Time isn't a particularly safe application from what I remember, at least if you have the wrong version.

I doubt Kinguin would be a pot of malware.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Something on your system as admin right that you have given, and is a party on your system. Check Task Scheduler and Startup programs.

Check the path, and that the ese is legit without running them (check their certification from the property panel or process information)

And,

Clean install.

Backup your stuff, scan for malware, virus and spyware.

Format, and clean install Windows.

Keep in mind that viruses/malware can modify system files (usually to open security holes, or other code injections compromises). Malwarebytes, Avast, and any other A/V only removes infections.. it doesn't fix modified system files.

Once clean install, rescan your backup with everything you have, before transferring or opening anything. Once all is good, transfer them back to your system.

Alright then, a clean install is very likely the best solution. Thanks for the input.

Groomlake Authority

HELP 

I made an account just for this topic 

I have exactly the same problem and nothing helps i've tried malware cleanups and adware clean ups 

I don't know how to fix this problem if anyone could help me please do so... 

I also have the dayglad thing in all my files and don't know how to get rid of them... 

I've also never did a windows reinstall since i'm not sure how to do it and someone told me u need an usb or a dvd for the backup and i don't have those please help me my pc is fucked 

19 minutes ago, Babyscat said:

-snip-

You have W10? It would seem that based on what GoodBytes said, if the system files have been corrupt then you must format your physical drives and not simply reinstall W10 from the settings options, if you even have it. 

Well yes, you need a DVD with an OS image, but that isnt very hard to do. All you need is an ISO, put into the DVD and after the POST and skipping the UEFI, you can select the required "boot drive" and you choose the DVD (afterwards, the step by step installation window will appear), as long as you have a valid Windows 8 or superior key for activation.

Malwarebytes or any other antivirus program will probably only keep the issue at bay, not remove it completely (depends on the malware\adware too tough).

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, Babyscat said:

HELP 

I made an account just for this topic 

I have exactly the same problem and nothing helps i've tried malware cleanups and adware clean ups 

I don't know how to fix this problem if anyone could help me please do so... 

I also have the dayglad thing in all my files and don't know how to get rid of them... 

I've also never did a windows reinstall since i'm not sure how to do it and someone told me u need an usb or a dvd for the backup and i don't have those please help me my pc is fucked 

Installing Windows is actually fairly simple. The install time is between 7min all the way up to ~30min, depending if you use a USB flash drive (and depending on their speed) or disk, and system specifications (CPU speed and if it the system uses an SSD or HDD).

If you are running Windows 10, then the setup process is even easier.

All you need is to get a USB flash drive where you don't care about its content (it will be formatted) that is 8GB of more (it really needs ~4.5GB, but there is no flash drives between 4 and 8GB), or a blank DVD with a DVD burner.

But before we start, backup all your stuff. Take your time, and make sure you have all your pictures, videos, saved games (if not Steam games), documents, etc. Put them in a external drive or Cloud service or something.

Once you have that, simple go download and run Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool, found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

(click on the blue button "Download Tool Now"). This little magical software will detect your system and download the correct Windows 10 ISO for you, and prepare your USB flash drive to make it bootable, and extract the ISO to the drive/disk. If you go with disk method, then it will download the ISO, and you just burn it to disk (Windows support this. The tool might do it for you, even, never tried thought)

Now all you need to do, is try and boot from the flash drive. This is the tricky party as every system pretty much is different. Restart the system with the USB flash drive or disk in the system, and is starts try hitting multiple times the F2 key, if that fails (meaning it goes into Windows), Repeat the process and try with F4, if that fails, try F8, if that fails try Delete. If that fails try Esc. Or refer to the manual of your system (if pre-build) form the manufacture website or motherboard manual (if custom made), to know the process exactly. If all fails, then in Windows, go to the USB Flash drive or disk, and start the setup (Setup.exe), and run it within (not the best, but beats nothing).

That was the hard part. Yup.

Now that you started the Windows 10 installation, you should see this:

ximg_542c294a4e752.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

Pick your language and click Next (you can change this later on).

Then you should see this:

img_542c29587ee2f.png

Click on Install now

Then you'll see this:

img_542c29621f9a4.png

Pick "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)" This is to do a clean install. "Upgrade" will carry your current crap with your newly Windows and you'll back to square one.

Then you'll see this screen:

img_542c296992937.png

Pick the largest "Total size" (I am assuming a standard computer setup here. if you have partitions and such on a drive, now I can't guess your setup), click on Format, and click on Next. IF YOU HAVE AN ERROR here, then go to another computer, pull out the USB flash drive you are using (yes, it is fine, just remember where you plugged it in, as you'll need to plug it back), or get a USB flash drive, if you are using a Disk method, plug it on that side computer, and you need to download the drivers of your SATA Controller or Motherboard chipset. You want .zip file. which you'll need to extract in a folder (name it as you wish), and put it on that USB Flash drive (anywhere). Some manufactures uses an .exe which when you run will extract for you all the files. If you have difficulty, let us know, and we will give you a direct link of the correct driver.

NORMALLY, you should no problem here.

IF WINDOWS ASKS YOU FOR A PRODUCT KEY AT ANY STAGE, simply click on "I don't have one". Windows 10 will figure it out. If it is a pre-build computer, it will look in the UEFI chip in your system for it, If you bought the license or did the free upgrade, it will compare your system specs with what it has on sever, if hardware were changed, it will use your Microsoft joined account to see the stored Windows 10 key inside to activate. It is pretty smart.

Click on Next, and now Windows will install.

Once the process is complete, your computer will restart. It may restart a few times after by itself, so don't worry if it does.

Now, you should get Cortana speak to you (or not, if your computer is old). This is what we call the "Out of the Box Experience" or OOBE (fun fact).

At this stage, Windows 10 is installed, and the wizard will guide you to connect on the internet, create your account, and all that.

Once done, Windows will prepare your account for the first time, and you'll login automatically.

Once logged in, click Start > Settings (Gear icon) > Update & Security > Windows Update > and check for updates.

You have installed Windows 10 fully, and ready to go. Everything in your system should be up and running.

You can now Virus and malware scan your backup data to make sure you don't bring the infection BACK to your system, and restore back all your files.

Then you can start installing your software, games, etc.

If you are stuck anywhere, please let us know. We would be glad to help, but please be a bit a patient for an answer. Its software, everything is fixable, no need to panic :)