2 Gamers, one room

Trustadz

Well hello there,

In about a month or so me and my girlfriend will move out of each of our dormrooms to live together in a nice little flat (probably). Since we enjoy most evenings gaming together (and with other people) we've started to look for a place where we can make a game room in one of the spare bedrooms. There are some things I would like to consider before spending any cash at a combined game-cave. This is excluding the PC and it's components. Does anyone have any experience with 2 gamers in one room setup? I have some ideas on how to tackle some of the issues I've run into but no clue if those are even possible and good. So any suggestion would be welcome. Price isn't really an issue at this point. I want to see what's possible and cut down from that. And it's a long-long term project so...

List of requirements.

• I need to hear my audio without hearing hers and vice versa.
  • I need to speak in my microphone without hers picking it up and vice versa (very hard, her voice is very soft... I sometimes yell at my pc... but the yelling can be overlooked).
  • We need to have 0 delay between our local communication
  • It should be possible for one of us to use the microphone for our own pc without the PC picking up the other headphone.

Eventually I would like to be able to stream everything semi-professionally, so any advice on devices that help with recording are welcome as well.

I DIY a lot of stuff and plan to expand that even more, so DIY projects are no problem for me. Also I have some experience with professional audio and video, as I used to work at a broadcasting company as Radio Host and Cameraman/Editor.

My plan, if at all possible, was to get a external soundboard with two inputs and two ouputs plus at least one headphone out. Get two professional grade microphones like the Rode NT/Procaster line-up, channel those to the soundboard, somehow configure it to set on output on one microphone and one on the other. As for TS/Discord/whatef just mute the person sitting next to you.

Any help would be appreciated.

When it comes to 0 latency communication between you two I can recommend the ASTRO MIXAMP as you can basically hook them up together.

People tend to verbally poop about Astro, but they kinda did good with the mixamp.

When it comes to the specific micophones it's a bit harder, shotgun mics maybe? A Dynamic mic perhaps? The Procaster as you mentioned is a good choice.

Not my strongest subject.

For your mic I would recommend the BP40 (test below)

but its pricey and you didnt mention a specific budget. Uni Directional modmics are a cheap option.

8 hours ago, Trustadz said:

Well hello there,

In about a month or so me and my girlfriend will move out of each of our dormrooms to live together in a nice little flat (probably). Since we enjoy most evenings gaming together (and with other people) we've started to look for a place where we can make a game room in one of the spare bedrooms. There are some things I would like to consider before spending any cash at a combined game-cave. This is excluding the PC and it's components. Does anyone have any experience with 2 gamers in one room setup? I have some ideas on how to tackle some of the issues I've run into but no clue if those are even possible and good. So any suggestion would be welcome. Price isn't really an issue at this point. I want to see what's possible and cut down from that. And it's a long-long term project so...

List of requirements.

• I need to hear my audio without hearing hers and vice versa.
  • I need to speak in my microphone without hers picking it up and vice versa (very hard, her voice is very soft... I sometimes yell at my pc... but the yelling can be overlooked).
  • We need to have 0 delay between our local communication
  • It should be possible for one of us to use the microphone for our own pc without the PC picking up the other headphone.

Eventually I would like to be able to stream everything semi-professionally, so any advice on devices that help with recording are welcome as well.

I DIY a lot of stuff and plan to expand that even more, so DIY projects are no problem for me. Also I have some experience with professional audio and video, as I used to work at a broadcasting company as Radio Host and Cameraman/Editor.

My plan, if at all possible, was to get a external soundboard with two inputs and two ouputs plus at least one headphone out. Get two professional grade microphones like the Rode NT/Procaster line-up, channel those to the soundboard, somehow configure it to set on output on one microphone and one on the other. As for TS/Discord/whatef just mute the person sitting next to you.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have the Rode NT USB and it picks up a lot of sound from other sources i.e. Keyboard etc. the the pro caster will be better in your scenario.

Headphones (closed back). Only option you got speakers obviously the other is going to hear.

Microphone, two ways, if you only play games together in a group. So if a chat and both are in it. You could have a single microphone between the two of you, dependent also on positioning of both of you, also get a lot of background noise.

Only other option is a headset microphone. There is nothing better then having a microphone rammed in your mouth for the best background audio rejection.

1 minute ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Headphones (closed back). Only option you got speakers obviously the other is going to hear.

Microphone, two ways, if you only play games together in a group. So if a chat and both are in it. You could have a single microphone between the two of you, dependent also on positioning of both of you, also get a lot of background noise.

Only other option is a headset microphone. There is nothing better then having a microphone rammed in your mouth for the best background audio rejection.

Currently I have a Stagg MD-007 and she has a logitech G231, her microphone sucks balls compared to mine. It's quality is way lower (which is expected) but it very easily picks up my voice. (gaming) headsets are designed to ignore background noise such as keyboard sounds, mouse clicks. Not the voice of someone next to you.

So no, headset is out of the question.

2 minutes ago, Trustadz said:

Currently I have a Stagg MD-007 and she has a logitech G231, her microphone sucks balls compared to mine. It's quality is way lower (which is expected) but it very easily picks up my voice. (gaming) headsets are designed to ignore background noise such as keyboard sounds, mouse clicks. Not the voice of someone next to you.

So no, headset is out of the question.

Its more to the fact its a cheap headset with a even cheaper microphone attached then any design aspect. 

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/professional-headphones-headsets-noise-cancelling-closed-broadcast-hmd-280-pro
When they arrive you have to wire the cables up.

You no longer have to talk loudly just whisper and it all be good. Dew to the fact your now both whispering you wont pick the other talking. The headphones surprisingly comfy sound alright. only £300 about $400 for you yanks out there. 

Want to spend a bit more well say no more.
http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/hmdc-26-ii

500 quid a pop about $650, bit uncomfortable after long periods, but very good headphones, INCREDIBLY robust (this is the cockroach of headphones they are not breaking). Microphone is brilliant get that great sound, amazing cancellation and rejection. Also got to wire these up as well, someplace sell them with connectors but its like a extra 100 quid for the service.

But, i'll have to whisper, dont want to do that if I don't need to. Since I know I don't need to from my days as a radio host (having a guest across me, but microphone not picking up anything besides my voice) I don't really like that i'd have to whisper. You can't really convince me that using a small headset microphone, even the good ones, is better then a (semi)-pro grade studio microphone with all the room it has. With a proper mic arm it shouldn't get in the way either.

2 hours ago, Trustadz said:

But, i'll have to whisper, dont want to do that if I don't need to. Since I know I don't need to from my days as a radio host (having a guest across me, but microphone not picking up anything besides my voice) I don't really like that i'd have to whisper. You can't really convince me that using a small headset microphone, even the good ones, is better then a (semi)-pro grade studio microphone with all the room it has. With a proper mic arm it shouldn't get in the way either.

Those microphones senhieser put on those headphones are some of the best microphones for there size. theres a reason the headphones with the microphone costs three times the price then just the headphones. You dont have to whisper there just so dam good that if you did it still pick you up easy peasy.

Just buy any dam microphone from a reputability manufacturer, fundamental is microphone close to your mouth and turn the gain down.

If your playing you headphones so loud that your the other persons microphone is picking it up, its way to loud. Turn down the volume unless you want to be wearing a hearing aid by the age of 40.

9 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

If your playing you headphones so loud that your the other persons microphone is picking it up, its way to loud. Turn down the volume unless you want to be wearing a hearing aid by the age of 40.

It's not the feedback from the headphones i'm worried from. It's the person sitting 1,5 meters away from me speaking into their microphone, No need for two microphones picking that up.

For clarification, I'm not looking for "Good enough" I'm looking for the best option there is, and work my way down from there. I don't really need specific devices (although, would be nice), but a way this could be managed.