The Search for the perfect network cabinet

Hi, 

I am working on buying my own server rack to fit in my switch, NAS etc. 

I am searching for a server cabinet which is max 350mm in height and 550mm deep. Because the closet door is fixed on top of my closet the cabinet door must have 15mm space at the top-side. 

I would like it to be an 6U so I would be able to fit in three units and still be able to place my NAS (Synology DS1515+) on the bottom. 

Most 6U cabinets I find are 368mm in height and will nog fit my closet. 

Any suggestions or brilliant ideas over here? 

I don't have a huge budget btw. 

Regards Patrick

368mm is roughly 15 inches... I'm surprised the depth isn't more of an issue than the height in that tight of a spot.

If you're only going to stack 3x 2U servers, they could very comfortably sit on top of one another without concern...

As @tt2468 said build your own. Another one is the lack rack, which uses an Ikea table. You could just cut the legs down to size and voila!

https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

Well, Building my own rack seems like the cheapest way to make it to size. 

I am afraid that since my girlfriend really wants it to be neat and put away Behind a door and I am not the best handyman that a DIY is not my best Option. 

I want to put in 3 x 1U + my Synology DS1515+ on the bottom, so there is Some more flexibility size-wise. It can also be a 4U or 6U, as long as the NAS fits under the three 1U stacks. The NAS is 157mm in height. 

On the Images you see what I want to have in there ( found a similar setup online in a Rack) and the closet where it should be in (top shelf). 

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

I'm surprised you don't need more depth, but if you don't then wall-mount racks would work just fine.

https://www.computercablestore.com/6u-open-frame-wall-mount-rack-101-series-16-inches-deep-flat-packed#product-specs-box

You may want to figure out some way to move air in there. You'd still want to screw it into the back of the cabinet, but since the shelf will be load bearing you shouldn't have to worry about the screws ripping out unless you manhandle everything.

**If you plan to use something like a dell R610, it will not fit in that cabinet. Most 1U servers are 700-800mm in depth.

Thanks for your reply! 

No I Think the depth won't be a Problem. I am using this to organise my ethernet cables and NAS. There Will be a switch (Zyxel GS1548), a patch panel, a power supply unit and the NAS. Will I be needing much air in there for the equipment i use? Is it needed to add Some fans or something like that?

I am looking in pre built wooden units right now btw and those seem a really good option to! 

Example as seen below

030-2.jpg

Any tips for a good patch panel? 

Since I probably Will be using a wooden cabinet front acces is a must for my patch panel. 

When I buy a patch panel with separate keystones can I get the keystones out for punching the Cable and put them back in with the Cable? 

9 hours ago, Patrick1610 said:

Any tips for a good patch panel? 

Since I probably Will be using a wooden cabinet front acces is a must for my patch panel. 

When I buy a patch panel with separate keystones can I get the keystones out for punching the Cable and put them back in with the Cable? 

Any patch panel really will do. Just make sure to get one that supports enough keystones. And you can buy keystones to which you attach the cables directly, if you don't mind the hassle with that, or get keystone coupler jacks to use pre-made cables. The latter is what I did.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

20 hours ago, Patrick1610 said:

Thanks for your reply! 

No I Think the depth won't be a Problem. I am using this to organise my ethernet cables and NAS. There Will be a switch (Zyxel GS1548), a patch panel, a power supply unit and the NAS. Will I be needing much air in there for the equipment i use? Is it needed to add Some fans or something like that?

If you need to then an easy way to power the fans is with a USB type A to 3/4 pin fan adaptor and power them off your NAS Just make sure the fans can run on 5v. Cutting a hole in the closet back could be enough to let the warm air escape easier and prevent heat build up.

On 2017-4-26 at 6:11 AM, Patrick1610 said:

(bump)

that cable management!

it's heaven to what my works cable management is like (hint, i never bothered to cable manage the work server rack)

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 8:08 PM, NoobCase said:

If you need to then an easy way to power the fans is with a USB type A to 3/4 pin fan adaptor and power them off your NAS Just make sure the fans can run on 5v. Cutting a hole in the closet back could be enough to let the warm air escape easier and prevent heat build up.

Haha would be great if I could cut a hole in the back to prevent heat build up, but since the back of my closet is the wall in the kitchen this doesn't seem like a good idea ?

33 minutes ago, Patrick1610 said:

Haha would be great if I could cut a hole in the back to prevent heat build up, but since the back of my closet is the wall in the kitchen this doesn't seem like a good idea ?

;) Then you go up... cut a hole throug the ceiling... works best if you live in an apartment with people living above you... ;) Yes I was being ironic:)