Best Case for GTX 970 STRIX SLI

danny78690

Hey All,

I currently have my GTX 970s in SLI in an NZXT S340 case. They seem to be heating up pretty quickly as for in games the fans ramp up a lot and get pretty loud. I've noticed that there's little space for exhaust

I also have a Corsair H115i 280mm liquid cooler for my cpu, so I need a case that'll fit that (preferably in the top). And a side panel without a window, but with a fan mount, so that I can have a fan blowing air directly on to my graphics cards. And I'd like to mount my SSD to the back of my motherboard 

I'm thinking of picking up a Fractal R5 http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=112&item_id=076255&utm_campaign=webbanners&utm_medium=170421&utm_source=PromoBanner&utm_content=CSFD000297 

What case do you recommend I change to? 

I have a $90 (US) / $120 (Canadian) budget 

Kindest Regards,

Danny 

i7 4770  Asus Z87-A  32GB DDR3 1600    ASUS GTX970 STRIX      NZXT S340     Crucial M550 1TB Commercial Grade SSD     Corsair TX750 750W PSU

Do you have a fan exhausting or intaking on every available fan mount because you could save a lot of money by just getting more fans

4 minutes ago, Colin Donoghue said:

Do you have a fan exhausting or intaking on every available fan mount because you could save a lot of money by just getting more fans

I have Noctua fans on every single mount possible in the case, tried that! 

i7 4770  Asus Z87-A  32GB DDR3 1600    ASUS GTX970 STRIX      NZXT S340     Crucial M550 1TB Commercial Grade SSD     Corsair TX750 750W PSU

1 hour ago, danny78690 said:

Hey All,

I currently have my GTX 970s in SLI in an NZXT S340 case. They seem to be heating up pretty quickly as for in games the fans ramp up a lot and get pretty loud. I've noticed that there's little space for exhaust

I also have a Corsair H115i 280mm liquid cooler for my cpu, so I need a case that'll fit that (preferably in the top). And a side panel without a window, but with a fan mount, so that I can have a fan blowing air directly on to my graphics cards. And I'd like to mount my SSD to the back of my motherboard 

I'm thinking of picking up a Fractal R5 http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=112&item_id=076255&utm_campaign=webbanners&utm_medium=170421&utm_source=PromoBanner&utm_content=CSFD000297 

What case do you recommend I change to? 

I have a $90 (US) / $120 (Canadian) budget 

Kindest Regards,

Danny 

The NZXT S340 has fantastic airflow. SLI 970s are just going to produce a lot of heat. I'd be surprised if you could keep them under 70 C under OC'd load. My single 970 gets to about 65C with a hefty OC on it.

Have you tried putting better fans in your S340? Maybe using all four fan slots and filling in as many 140MM fans as possible?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

you could use the other type of fans like static optimized or airflow optimized and that could make a change

or you could try to have better cable management

Fractal design define s, beauty of a case. I used to have msi 970s in sli and they didn't run that hot, I think the top one ran at around 75 and the bottom one 70.

17 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The NZXT S340 has fantastic airflow. SLI 970s are just going to produce a lot of heat. I'd be surprised if you could keep them under 70 C under OC'd load. My single 970 gets to about 65C with a hefty OC on it.

Have you tried putting better fans in your S340? Maybe using all four fan slots and filling in as many 140MM fans as possible?

I have 140mm Noctua case fans in every possible fan mount in my case! I wish I didn't have a side window and rather a case with a side panel that had fan mounts so I can blow air directly on my GPUs 

2 hours ago, danny78690 said:

I have 140mm Noctua case fans in every possible fan mount in my case! I wish I didn't have a side window and rather a case with a side panel that had fan mounts so I can blow air directly on my GPUs 

That's kind of bizarre that they got so hot. By chance, what is "hot" to you? Like what temps?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

50 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That's kind of bizarre that they got so hot. By chance, what is "hot" to you? Like what temps?

Full disclosure, I'm not going by temps, I'm going by the fact that all fans are at full blast while I'm gaming (including GPU fans) and I have to raise the volume on my headphones to phase out some of the noise

5 minutes ago, danny78690 said:

Full disclosure, I'm not going by temps, I'm going by the fact that all fans are at full blast while I'm gaming (including GPU fans) and I have to raise the volume on my headphones to phase out some of the noise

Mess with the fan profile in MSI Afterburner? Try something like Speedfan to turns fan noise down?

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Mess with the fan profile in MSI Afterburner? Try something like Speedfan to turns fan noise down?

Tried everything, for some reason the profile just automatically changes and the fans won't ramp down. It's very bizarre 

2 minutes ago, danny78690 said:

Tried everything, for some reason the profile just automatically changes and the fans won't ramp down. It's very bizarre 

What are your settings for MSI Afterburner? What about fan control for Speedfan?

UPDATE: I take off the side panels and its fine, I can barely hear any of the fans