What cables etc do i need for this mic&audiointerface? *Solved*

Offline Research Kangaroo
Go to solution Solved by schwarzerrogen,

The Scarlett with come with a USB cable. 

You will still need an XLR cable to connect the mic to the interface.

New question! 
I have decided on buying the Røde NTG-1 shotgun mic and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Mk II audio interface, but i cant tell if i need to buy any additional cables etc?
I simply want to use it with my desktop pc.

Scarlet: https://evenstadmusikk.no/WebPages/Produkt/ProduktInfo.aspx?plid=86074&WebSiteMapNodeID=1000001
Mic: https://evenstadmusikk.no/WebPages/Produkt/ProduktInfo.aspx?plid=427&WebSiteMapNodeID=1000001

--------------------------------------------Old question----Ignore------------------------------------------------------
Let it be known i have almost zero knowledge about audiogear, and i just want something midrange i buy once and keep forever. should preferably be easy to use and sound pretty good.
Its generaly going to be used simply for teamspeak/discord etc but might also use it on a camera when going to events or twitch or youtube if i ever do that.

Currently this mic ( Røde NTG-1http://www.rode.com/microphones/ntg-1 - https://www.prisguide.no/produkt/rode-ntg-1-41474 ) is for sale for ~160$ down from ~200-220$ so just wondering if this mic is good for me.

QUESTIONS:
From what i could find it has a xlr connector so so i need a audiointerface? (example https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T50LY )
or can i just use one of those xlr to minijack adapter cables to plug it into my pc? or is there anything negative from doing that?

So if i buy this can you explain me simply what i might need extras and why and how to use it if theres anything complicated?

1 minute ago, MoDRun said:

can i just use one of those xlr to minijack adapter cables to plug it into my pc? or is there anything negative from doing that?

If this works in the first place, it will sound like absolute crap and your laptop webcam mic will sound better.

So no, you should definitely buy an audio interface or get a USB mic.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

If this works in the first place, it will sound like absolute crap and your laptop webcam mic will sound better.

So no, you should definitely buy an audio interface or get a USB mic.

ok guess ill get the scarlet one i linked with it. i kinda settled on that one i think.

So i just plug the mic into that scarlet audiointerface and that into the pc and it should work after adjusting windows settings right?

8 minutes ago, MoDRun said:

ok guess ill get the scarlet one i linked with it. i kinda settled on that one i think.

So i just plug the mic into that scarlet audiointerface and that into the pc and it should work after adjusting windows settings right?

Yes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A more accurate reason why it won't work is that the NT1A uses a condenser capsule, and as such needs phantom power (it's spec says either +24 or +48 V) while most motherboard inputs will only provide somewhere around a 5V differential.

You have two options: 

1) A Phantom power supply: this will output an analogue signal which you'd take into the motherboard mic input.

2) An audio interface: connection over digital connection (modern models use USB or thunderbolt, older models would have used firewire), will be able to provide full phantom power. Often will have more than one input and individual gain control. Will usually have a better pre-amp than on-board audio.

Also, the NTG-1 is a shotgun mic (i.e. it's highly directional), which is partially a good thing, as it will reduce off axis noise (e.g. case noise, keyboard...), but it will also pick up noise from anything which is in it's path, even behind you. So if you're using it in a room with other people or things you don't want to be heard, then you probably want to avoid a shotgun pattern.

2 hours ago, anothertom said:

A more accurate reason why it won't work is that the NT1A uses a condenser capsule, and as such needs phantom power (it's spec says either +24 or +48 V) while most motherboard inputs will only provide somewhere around a 5V differential.

You have two options: 

1) A Phantom power supply: this will output an analogue signal which you'd take into the motherboard mic input.

2) An audio interface: connection over digital connection (modern models use USB or thunderbolt, older models would have used firewire), will be able to provide full phantom power. Often will have more than one input and individual gain control. Will usually have a better pre-amp than on-board audio.

Also, the NTG-1 is a shotgun mic (i.e. it's highly directional), which is partially a good thing, as it will reduce off axis noise (e.g. case noise, keyboard...), but it will also pick up noise from anything which is in it's path, even behind you. So if you're using it in a room with other people or things you don't want to be heard, then you probably want to avoid a shotgun pattern.

Thanks for lots of additional useful info :D @anothertom
1 Question - I have decided on buying the Røde NTG-1 mic and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Mk II audio interface, but i cant tell if i need to buy any additional cables or something. Are you able to help me figure this out?

I chose a shotgun mic because of that reason - i REALLY dont want it to pick up my loud mechanical keyboard and ambient noises like my pc, and behind me is just a wall so from what research i found that a shotgun mic is really my best option :D

(removed, wrong awnser and don't want to confuse anyone)

3 minutes ago, Mats Moolhuizen said:

Yes, you need an audio interface.

i currently have the Behringer XENYX 302 USB as audio interface with a other mixer for mixing an phantom power, can recomand the Behringer XENYX 302 USB since it is pretty cheap, easy to use and sounds pretty good.

Reveal hidden contents

66baeb2571.jpg

you misunderstood my question. i know i need a audiointerface and is why i chose the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Mk II, but i dont know what cables that doesnt come with the hardware and mic that ill need to hook them up working to my pc and or power

Just now, MoDRun said:

you misunderstood my question. i know i need a audiointerface and is why i chose the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Mk II, but i dont know what cables that doesnt come with the hardware and mic that ill need to hook them up working to my pc and or power

Oh i'm sorry, gonna remove my post

5 minutes ago, schwarzerrogen said:

The Scarlett with come with a USB cable. 

You will still need an XLR cable to connect the mic to the interface.

@schwarzerrogen Thanks a lot.
So i cant really tell but you think this works then yes? https://evenstadmusikk.no/produkter/kabler-og-plugger/mikrofonkabler-(xlr)/mikrofonkabel-xlr-xlr-1m-1023043-p0000010538

Just now, schwarzerrogen said:

It will but it's a bit short

nah the mic is gona be 30cm away from the audio interface so no problem :) Thanks tho :D ill be ordering now i think :3

3 hours ago, MoDRun said:

nah the mic is gona be 30cm away from the audio interface so no problem :) Thanks tho :D ill be ordering now i think :3

30cm is a very short distance in reality, and depending on how you're mounting the mic you'll probably need at least 1-2m on the cable, your monitor itself is probably at least 30cm tall as reference. Not to mention if you ever want to move it or rearrange your desk.

Given that the 3m xlr is only slightly more expensive, it's probably worth going for that instead.

On 22.4.2017 at 8:58 AM, anothertom said:

30cm is a very short distance in reality, and depending on how you're mounting the mic you'll probably need at least 1-2m on the cable, your monitor itself is probably at least 30cm tall as reference. Not to mention if you ever want to move it or rearrange your desk.

Given that the 3m xlr is only slightly more expensive, it's probably worth going for that instead.

My desk is set up so that the audiointerface will sit on a shelf 20-30 cm behind the mic (i measured) and the mic will sit on top of my monitor also i hate excess cable clutter. and the computer will sit on that same shelf 30 cm away from the audiointerface.

Also i have no reason to change my setup because ill be using this table shelf setup for the next 10 years+
so if i for some reason in the future need a longer cable ill just buy a extra longer cable so no biggie :3! 

ik ur worry tho xD