Dual Port Gigabit Server only 100 Mbps

Go to solution Solved by The Benjamins,
14 minutes ago, G33kman said:

Well the switch that I am using (Netgear GS-105) supports 1Gbps and the cables do work at 1Gbps if I plug the cable into my main server I get 1Gbps speeds. The servers are right next to each other. Lol

as long as you didn't set 100Mbps on the server then if should negotiate to the fastest speed it thinks it can handle. here are your possible issue, replace and test each part.

if can be the NIC in the server, The cable, the switch or switch port.

if you use that same cable attached to the same port on the switch and connect it to a laptop or something and it shows it as 1Gbps its the NIC, if it shows 100Mbps its the cable or switch.

Ok so I'm having an issue with my secondary server. I don't believe it's an issue with Windows Server 2012 but here's what's going on.

I have an HP Proliant ML350 G6 with Dual Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Adapters but I'm only able to get a speed of 100.0Mbps...

I have a netgear switch that the servers are hooked up to and my main server is receiving 1Gbps speeds no problem. The cables are Cat 5e and I've tried different cables. I tried to manually set the speed to 1Gbps but then it just says that the network cable is disconnected...

I have downloaded the most up to date driver straight from Broadcom as well.

Anyone have an idea why i'm only getting 100Mbps speeds?

lets make sure that its Mbps vs MBps? that is a BIG difference. how are you testing the speed(with a file transfer?).

Does the ports in the adapter settings say 100Mbps vs 1Gbps?

FYI 125MBps = 1000Mbps

are you wanting to get 2Gbps speeds? or 2 be able to handle 2 1Gbps at the same time?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Try upgrading the cable to Cat 6. Sometimes that is all it takes as the auto negotiation fails with cat 5e and will set it to 100mbps.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Well eventually I would like to set up NIC Teaming so that I can utilize bandwidth aggregation but I would like to get 1Gbps speeds first. Lol

Here's the Ethernet status for one of the adapters but they're both showing the same speeds as well as the ethernet speeds I am getting while transferring a file from the server to my computer.

Hopefully this will give you some answers. :)

File-Transfer.jpg

11 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Try upgrading the cable to Cat 6. Sometimes that is all it takes as the auto negotiation fails with cat 5e and will set it to 100mbps.

Yeah that was my next option but I was hoping that I didn't need to since I know those cables are good for 1Gbps speeds and they're only 5' long. Lol

9 minutes ago, G33kman said:

Yeah that was my next option but I was hoping that I didn't need to since I know those cables are good for 1Gbps speeds and they're only 5' long. Lol

replace them, they are dropping to 100Mbps mode over 1Gbps or the device it is plug into (router/switch) does not have a 1Gbps port.

Well the switch that I am using (Netgear GS-105) supports 1Gbps and the cables do work at 1Gbps if I plug the cable into my main server I get 1Gbps speeds. The servers are right next to each other. Lol

14 minutes ago, G33kman said:

as long as you didn't set 100Mbps on the server then if should negotiate to the fastest speed it thinks it can handle. here are your possible issue, replace and test each part.

if can be the NIC in the server, The cable, the switch or switch port.

if you use that same cable attached to the same port on the switch and connect it to a laptop or something and it shows it as 1Gbps its the NIC, if it shows 100Mbps its the cable or switch.

Yeah everything stays the same when I switch it over to the other server and achieve 1Gbps speeds. I will have to see if I can get a hold of a Cat6 cable just to try to achieve the higher speed but I'm really starting to think it's the NIC...

Thanks for your help everyone. :)

1 minute ago, G33kman said:

Yeah everything stays the same when I switch it over to the other server and achieve 1Gbps speeds. I will have to see if I can get a hold of a Cat6 cable just to try to achieve the higher speed but I'm really starting to think it's the NIC...

Thanks for your help everyone. :)

if it is 1Gbps on the other machine then its the NIC or adapter settings.

Have you tested your ethernet cables by swap testing them (use those cables with the other server or other computer) or using a cable tester? Also have you swap tested ports on the switch? It sounds to me like you may have bad cables or switch ports.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

9 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Not 100% correct, but close enough, fuck it, works this way in practice.