Computer pops when I turn it on

TomH
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Ok. Can't imagine that sound, but for a moment I was thinking about a relay in that PSU. Usually people would not hear a thing like that, because people usually leave the power connected to their PC.

The vid I used has an example relay sound. I've got an "undustrial" timer with an relay in it. It's 220 volts, and can switch up to 2000 watt. When that timer turns on or off, I hear a rather noticable "clunk".

Anyways, if you only hear that sound when you plug/unplug your PC, and if it works perfectly as long as you keep the power connected... I'd just keep it connected 24/7, and use the PC power buttons to turn the thing on/off. The amount of power that your pc uses while it's off (but connected) is minimal.

Hi all. For the past few months, whenever I turn my PC on at the plug, PSU or anywhere that allows power from the plug to get to the PC, there is a loud pop sound that happens. I think it may be to do with the PSU and only happens maybe every other time I switch on the plug and I'm just worried it may be being damaged.

All help will be appreciated. Thanks :)

It would help if you told us what model is your PSU, some are known to be of bad quality, if it is the case of yours we'll probably recommend you a better performing PSU since faulty ones can potentially damage your components even if just on the long run.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, h4ns0n said:

Hi all. For the past few months, whenever I turn my PC on at the plug, PSU or anywhere that allows power from the plug to get to the PC, there is a loud pop sound that happens. I think it may be to do with the PSU and only happens maybe every other time I switch on the plug and I'm just worried it may be being damaged.

All help will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Are you saying this has happened for a few months but you kept doing it anyway? DANGEROUS AF.

Why would anyone plug/unplug the PSU from the wall? Or didn't I understand your issue...

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It would help if you told us what model is your PSU, some are known to be of bad quality, if it is the case of yours we'll probably recommend you a better performing PSU since faulty ones can potentially damage your components even if just on the long run.

It's an RM650x

2 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

Are you saying this has happened for a few months but you kept doing it anyway? DANGEROUS AF.

Yeah thinking about it, it was pretty stupid but i thought it was either the plug or my speakers so we got the council (I live in a council house btw) to come out and replace the plug but it still carried on and the speakers aren't the issue either.

2 minutes ago, h4ns0n said:

It's an RM650x

Well it is a really good PSU, so even if it is being faulty by any means it won't damage components therefore you're pretty safe to keep using it regardless that noise.

Do consider that it might die any moment, but at least all you gonna have to replace is the PSU when that happens

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Why would anyone plug/unplug the PSU from the wall? Or didn't I understand your issue...

In the UK (don't know where you're based) we have switches for each plug and I turn my PC off my the plug every night so that no power is consumed overnight and so that the lights from my speakers, computer and the extension cable don't keep me awake.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well it is a really good PSU, so even if it is being faulty by any means it won't damage components therefore you're pretty safe to keep using it regardless that noise.

Do consider that it might die any moment, but at least all you gonna have to replace is the PSU when that happens

Do you think it would be worth contacting Corsair?

1 minute ago, h4ns0n said:

Do you think it would be worth contacting Corsair?

Is it still on the warranty period? If so you could RMA it the worse thing that could happen is them telling you the hardware is fine and in the best case scenario you would win a brand new PSU... up to you if you wanna go through the hassle.

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Is it still on the warranty period? If so you could RMA it the worse thing that could happen is them telling you the hardware is fine and in the best case scenario you would win a brand new PSU... up to you if you wanna go through the hassle.

It should be in warranty it's about 6 months old. I'll contact them later and see - thank you.

If it locks and drops it that's when you should really get worried. :D

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

dafuq.png.99c95fce5d5d404024679683e4cd0132.png

On-topic: I would not recommend unplugging your electronics every night or whenever you turn it off. It's not intended to be used like that. And the power draw is just very low.

Also, your speakers will most likely also have on/off switches. Use them instead of the main switch somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

dafuq.png.99c95fce5d5d404024679683e4cd0132.png

On-topic: I would not recommend unplugging your electronics every night or whenever you turn it off. It's not intended to be used like that. And the power draw is just very low.

Also, your speakers will most likely also have on/off switches. Use them instead of the main switch somewhere else.

I will in future thanks 

Is it a sound +/- like this kind of sound?

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Is it a sound +/- like this kind of sound?

No, it's more just a pop like a bubble popping in a cartoon I guess. I tried to record it a few minutes ago but it wasn't making it (typical - exactly when I WANT it to pop)

Ok. Can't imagine that sound, but for a moment I was thinking about a relay in that PSU. Usually people would not hear a thing like that, because people usually leave the power connected to their PC.

The vid I used has an example relay sound. I've got an "undustrial" timer with an relay in it. It's 220 volts, and can switch up to 2000 watt. When that timer turns on or off, I hear a rather noticable "clunk".

Anyways, if you only hear that sound when you plug/unplug your PC, and if it works perfectly as long as you keep the power connected... I'd just keep it connected 24/7, and use the PC power buttons to turn the thing on/off. The amount of power that your pc uses while it's off (but connected) is minimal.

Ok thank you. I've contacted Corsair too to see what they say but in the meantime, I will do that

I've found the "issue" you have, and it's a feature. I was thinking of a relay, but it isn't that. The sound you hear is most likely an "inrush protection".

"Inrush current

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An example of inrush current transients during capacitor bank energization.

Inrush current, input surge current or switch-on surge is the maximum, instantaneous input current drawn by an electrical device when first turned on. Alternating current electric motors and transformers may draw several times their normal full-load current when first energized, for a few cycles of the input waveform. Power converters also often have inrush currents much higher than their steady state currents, due to the charging current of the input capacitance. The selection of overcurrent protection devices such as fuses and circuit breakers is made more complicated when high inrush currents must be tolerated. The overcurrent protection must react quickly to overload or short circuit faults but must not interrupt the circuit when the (usually harmless) inrush current flows."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current

I've found the "issue" you have, and it's a feature. I was thinking of a relay, but it isn't that. The sound you hear is most likely an "inrush protection".

"Inrush current

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An example of inrush current transients during capacitor bank energization.

Inrush current, input surge current or switch-on surge is the maximum, instantaneous input current drawn by an electrical device when first turned on. Alternating current electric motors and transformers may draw several times their normal full-load current when first energized, for a few cycles of the input waveform. Power converters also often have inrush currents much higher than their steady state currents, due to the charging current of the input capacitance. The selection of overcurrent protection devices such as fuses and circuit breakers is made more complicated when high inrush currents must be tolerated. The overcurrent protection must react quickly to overload or short circuit faults but must not interrupt the circuit when the (usually harmless) inrush current flows."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current

Oh ok. I'm just slightly confused why it doesn't do it every time.

You should ask someone with moar knowlage of magical stuff.(@Electronics Wizardy) But my ques would be: condensators.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

You should ask someone with moar knowlage of magical stuff.(@Electronics Wizardy) But my ques would be: condensators.

Ok. I've opened a ticket with Corsair so I'll see what they say

Update: Corsair told me to RMA the power supply as it shouldn't be making noises when it turns on. Also I managed to record the noise and have attached it below.

IMG_0629.MOV