Ryzen Build

Planning my new pc build. I might wait to see how Vega turns out, but as it stands right now this is my build. Originally had a budget of $1k USD, but I was worried my needs would outgrow that soon, my needs being tempered glass on the case. so I bumped it up to 1.5k and boy am I glad I did. I have room for a Ryzen 7 instead of a 5 and an X370 mobo. Plus I still get my nice tempered glass case.

Thoughts? Improvements? Reasons I'm completely wrong? Let me know below!

I don't know much about the quality of CPU coolers, so if anybody can tell me if that's a good one or not go ahead and do so.

PC will be used for 1080p gaming and HoloLens development with Unity and Visual Studio. (And it will be used for showing off because it's gonna look sweet).

My Ryzen Build

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X

Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage: Corsair Force MP500 120GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: Asus Radeon RX 480 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card (Some of the 580s didn't have prices on them yet, so I picked this one for  now, if I can get a 500 series for around the same price with the same kind of style I will)

Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter

Total: $1496.45

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

1. You don't need a NVMe SSD for boot drive

2. There are many affordable cases with tempered glass

3. (Optional) Get big air coolers for about the same performance and lower price compared to AIO

4. Why not R7 1700? You can OC it and get similar performance with the 1800X

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1. Bad cooler. An AIO that is performing worse than air cooler for same price

8080_31_cooler-master-masterliquid-pro-2

Check this for cooler recommendations 

For liquid cooler that cools good and looks good get NZXT Kraken X62

2. Ryzen R7 1700 instead to save money, overclocks to the same degree

3. Do you really need nvme? The one you picked is a low end one with average to low performance for an nvme. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_force_mp500_480gb_m2_nvme_ssd_review,18.html 

Personally I'd get a good Sata SSD instead like Samsung Evo 850.

8 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Yes, but the ones I've seen only have small windows of glass, I like the whole panel being visible. I've looked but I haven't seen any for less than around $100

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

3. Do you really need nvme?

No. I probably don't NEED it, but I have a computer right now so I don't NEED any of this technically. But if I still wanted it, which one would you recommend, the 960 Evo or something else?

12 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Kind of the same thing as the NVMe, don't really need it, but it just feels good to say you have a top of the line CPU.

Thanks everybody, I'll take all into consideration. 

DELETE! DELETE!

Silence will fall.

16 minutes ago, Macimoar said:

Yes, but the ones I've seen only have small windows of glass, I like the whole panel being visible. I've looked but I haven't seen any for less than around $100

No. I probably don't NEED it, but I have a computer right now so I don't NEED any of this technically. But if I still wanted it, which one would you recommend, the 960 Evo or something else?

Kind of the same thing as the NVMe, don't really need it, but it just feels good to say you have a top of the line CPU.

Thanks everybody, I'll take all into consideration. 

960 pro/evo. spend $1500 for good stuff not on something you barely notice

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

1. You don't need a NVMe SSD for boot drive

3. (Optional) Get big air coolers for about the same performance and lower price compared to AIO

@Macimoar

As others have said and to expand on the points above:

NVMe is an absolute luxury and in no way essential with no noticeable gains in real world scenarios (windows can only boot so fast) and PCIe lanes are engaged later than sata so factoring this in you won't see a crazy boot.

Case is preference so im not going to touch that.

Noctua air coolers are great and comparable to the cheaper AIOS

Absolutely do not buy an X model and that goes for any Ryzen CPU. My 1700 can achieve 4GHz at below safe max voltages. ONLY 23% of 1800Xs can achieve 4.1 and beyond according to silicon lottery vs 75+% of 1700s achieving 3.9 and 90+% achieving 3.8.

Careful about the MSI motherboard it has some sketchy reviews on the bios. Personally I use the crosshair. Top contenders right now are the crosshair and the taichi, these are comparably more expensive but even the asus prime has better reviews than the AM4 msi boards.

Now take these savings from the cpu and SSD and invest in either a 2nd RX480 or a 1080.

12 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Absolutely do not buy an X model and that goes for any Ryzen CPU. My 1700 can achieve 4GHz at below safe max voltages. ONLY 23% of 1800Xs can achieve 4.1 and beyond according to silicon lottery vs 75+% of 1700s achieving 3.9 and 90+% achieving 3.8.

Interesting, I guess I was under the impression that the XFR on the X models were more relevant. Is there any point at all to buying the X models then?

DELETE! DELETE!

Silence will fall.

13 minutes ago, Macimoar said:

Interesting, I guess I was under the impression that the XFR on the X models were more relevant. Is there any point at all to buying the X models then?

Yes if you are a fit and forget user. e.g. business user or not intending to overclock.

XFR is a sales gimmick. It only boosts 1 core further and XFR is disabled when you overclock anyway so its utterly pointless. Not to mention the fact that the X models dont come with a stock cooler which makes the 1600 and 1700 even better value.

EDIT: Also the non X models do have XFR actually its just 50MHz not 100. But still pointless because disabled when overclocked.

Get a 1700, and get a 1080/VEGA/1080ti

If your spending 1,500 dollars, you should probably not spend it all on the CPU.

@deXxterlab97  @tom_w141 and everybody else, I appreciate the feedback; here is my updated build.

With the added expense of the motherboard, there wasn't enough room in the budget to get the 1080; if I did want it, I suppose I could try going down to the 5 series and maybe a slightly cheaper motherboard, but for now this is fine; I'm not going to be doing any 4k gaming any time soon. But we'll see what vega offers whenever it comes out (is that next month? I don't remember).

Better? Worse? Let me know.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($317.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG R1 Universal 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($88.49 @ OutletPC) (wasn't sure if the ultimate would clear the ram. I think it would, but not sure)
Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($243.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($75.71 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 580 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card  ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($167.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1463.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-21 00:19 EDT-0400

DELETE! DELETE!

Silence will fall.

2 hours ago, Macimoar said:

@deXxterlab97  @tom_w141 and everybody else, I appreciate the feedback; here is my updated build.

With the added expense of the motherboard, there wasn't enough room in the budget to get the 1080; if I did want it, I suppose I could try going down to the 5 series and maybe a slightly cheaper motherboard, but for now this is fine; I'm not going to be doing any 4k gaming any time soon. But we'll see what vega offers whenever it comes out (is that next month? I don't remember).

Better? Worse? Let me know.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($317.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG R1 Universal 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($88.49 @ OutletPC) (wasn't sure if the ultimate would clear the ram. I think it would, but not sure)
Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($243.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($75.71 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 580 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card  ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($167.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1463.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-21 00:19 EDT-0400

Nice :) you are fine to buy that but my comments:

I'd get noctua over cryorig personally, I'll have a look for you in a bit I just woke up and am on mobile ATM :P

The stock cooler is actually really good for a freebie so you could use the stock cooler and at a better one later down the line and maybe focus this saving in the immediate future on a 1070. But you do say this is for 1080p gaming so I'm sure the 580 will serve you well.

Your other option is get a power supply with some more headroom then in say 1-2 years time you if you are starting to lack you could throw another 580 in crossfire. (750W should have the necessary headroom for crossfire).

13 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

I'd get noctua over cryorig personally, I'll have a look for you in a bit I just woke up and am on mobile ATM :P

It might be my vanity, but in a build where everything is mostly black or silver a giant brown fan seems like it would stick out too much. I don't suppose they make any other colors do they?

DELETE! DELETE!

Silence will fall.

1 minute ago, Macimoar said:

It might be my vanity, but in a build where everything is mostly black or silver a giant brown fan seems like it would stick out too much. I don't suppose they make any other colors do they?

I'll look for you now. I agree the fans are ugly but noctua performance is no joke! I think they did some limited edition black fans i'll look now.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-A14-industrialPPC-3000PWM-Cooler-components/dp/B00KFCRF1A

There is an example. They call them the "industrial" version

2 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

I'll look for you now. I agree the fans are ugly but noctua performance is no joke! I think they did some limited edition black fans i'll look now.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-A14-industrialPPC-3000PWM-Cooler-components/dp/B00KFCRF1A

There is an example. They call them the "industrial" version

That.. is not bad.

Not bad at all, thanks!

DELETE! DELETE!

Silence will fall.