Cpu longevity

So i want to ask that how much will my i7 6700k last in gaming,working etc. Since we have ryzen! I am in dilemma whether i should upgrade to ryzen as more and more games are utilizing multithreads eg watchdogs,BF 1. We all know that the i5 are showing their limitations(i upgraded last year from 6600k to 6700k because of it) They are reaching 100% and are bottlenecking higher gpus! So  can we assume that will soon possible with i7?  Some peoples are saying wait for coffeelake but do you guys think thst coffeelake 6 core will be able to beat 8 core R7s? Yeah i am also a bit confused due to rumours about bad gaming performance of ryzen is it true?(i am gaming on 1080p 60hz). Pls help!

workstation wise or in raw performance ryzen 1700 beats the i7 6700k hands down, unless you need the extra processing power keep the 6700k for now. 

Low key showing off how much money they have*

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

stay with what you have now. unless you are going to live stream or encode on the fly with dual GPUs, it'd be a side-grade at best. intel doesn't let anything go without a cost premium and you'll have to wait a bit for the 6core mainstream CPU.

Isnt it worth getting ryzen for gaming + encoding then? As it must last me a decade or so what you guys say? Will the quad cores able to last next 4-5 yeras?

13 minutes ago, airdeano said:

stay with what you have now. unless you are going to live stream or encode on the fly with dual GPUs, it'd be a side-grade at best. intel doesn't let anything go without a cost premium and you'll have to wait a bit for the 6core mainstream CPU.

Isnt it worth getting ryzen for gaming + encoding then? As it must last me a decade or so what you guys say? Will the quad cores able to last next 4-5 yeras?

If you really want to game while encoding. Get the Ryzen as a separate system to do the encoding and keep the 6700K for the gaming.

Does it really matter if it doesn't last you 4-5 years and only lasts 3. There is no point replacing something now won't be obsolete for another few years.

If you do get Ryzen now, you will probably be replacing it in 2-3 years anyway.

2 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

If you really want to game while encoding. Get the Ryzen as a separate system to do the encoding and keep the 6700K for the gaming.

Does it really matter if it doesn't last you 4-5 years and only lasts 3. There is no point replacing something now won't be obsolete for another few years.

If you do get Ryzen now, you will probably be replacing it in 2-3 years anyway.

I am only thinking about upgrading as if only currently i will get a better selling price of my 6700k but after 1 or 2 years i will nearly only get 30-40% of its price and will be too low! So if i upgrade now there wont be much loss but later when the 6 cores/8 cores already begin to become mainstream it will be tough to get better price of an quad core! 

10 years, nope.. nuttin' electronic has a ten-year use life.

if the plan is gaming and then encoding stay with what you have.

if you are encoding while streaming , then the ryzen 6 or 8-core is your choice.

Just keep the i7. Once you see the cpu not being able to do that tasks you want then upgrade. It's pointless to speculate when a cpu will become obsolete for your needs as it will be much easier to just reactivity upgrade. Plus on a 60hz monitor you won't notice anything higher than 60fps which the 6700k will be able to do for a long time to come. I mean you will be gpu bottleneckedat 60fps before you are cpu bottlenecked

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

10 years, nope.. nuttin' electronic has a ten-year use life.

if the plan is gaming and then encoding stay with what you have.

if you are encoding while streaming , then the ryzen 6 or 8-core is your choice.

Do you think that 6700k is going to bottleneck anytime soon around 3-4 years becuase more and more fast gpus are on the way!

'pends on what app/game you think you are bottlenecked in. there is no magic part combination to say is the best to have in the next year or two, much less 3-5 or a decade.

all depends on the OS, game/app, hardware, resolution, developers use of resources, and a plethora of microsystems we just are not aware of.

i wouldn't get all wrapped-around-the-axle on bottleneck till the performance of a detail is lagging and it is because of a lacking in hardware/software.