Does the Nintendo Switch store game updates for physical copies of games on the cartridge or on an sd card if you have one?

Bleedingyamato
2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Hey! Thanks a lot! :)

I was looking for all this when I get the system.

You're welcome.  Chances are other Anker battery packs would work too but I got this because of 3 things:

1. Large capacity so you could run either my iPad Air or switch (Or both at the same time. ?) for multiple recharges worth of run time.  

2. The dual charge input on this battery lets it charge twice as fast as other Anker batteries with only a 2A input. 

3. It has a high enough total amp limit (6A) to charge multiple higher draw devices at the same time if I want.  Though it's limited to 3A per port.

So I could charge my Switch, IPad Air, and iPhone all at the same time at lesst once each if I wanted/needed to.

It does include 2 basic grade Anker micro USB charge cables though I suggest getting the Powerline+ cables like I did.  They're much nicer as I said and should hold up to long term use.  

I believe using both inputs together it charges in around 4-4:30 hours.  

image.jpeg

Repeating and maybe adding a bit to what others have said....

1. Saves and patches aren't stored on cartridges, unlike the 3DS cartridges on the Switch are entirely read only

2. Saves and patches will default to the SD Card if you have one installed that isn't full

3. The "Manage Software" section will show you how much space each game is taking up and where it is stored

4. There currently aren't options for moving games/patches/saves but I think it's fair to assume it'll come in future firmware updates

5. Yes the Switch uses a USB Type C port but it makes sense given it's the only modern standardised connector upto the task....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

10 hours ago, skywake said:

Repeating and maybe adding a bit to what others have said....

1. Saves and patches aren't stored on cartridges, unlike the 3DS cartridges on the Switch are entirely read only

2. Saves and patches will default to the SD Card if you have one installed that isn't full

3. The "Manage Software" section will show you how much space each game is taking up and where it is stored

4. There currently aren't options for moving games/patches/saves but I think it's fair to assume it'll come in future firmware updates

5. Yes the Switch uses a USB Type C port but it makes sense given it's the only modern standardised connector upto the task....

It still bugs me that it doesn't seem to show the update data location (system storage vs sd card) like it does with screenshots and the Setsuna game I downloaded.  

It's not the end of the world if I don't see a highlighted bar confirming the update data location.  I just prefer knowing for sure where everything is.  

I really hope Nintendo gets their act together and updates the Switch firmware.

It seems to me to be a lot more simplistic in terms of features than would make sense. 

It's like despite having all the time in the world they shoved it out the door without something as basic as being able to have full control over use of system vs sd card storage.  

Other than firmware and eshop complaints (the Switch eshop looks VERY basic and rushed) I'm very much enjoying my Switch.  ?

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It still bugs me that it doesn't seem to show the update data location (system storage vs sd card) like it does with screenshots and the Setsuna game I downloaded.  

It's not the end of the world if I don't see a highlighted bar confirming the update data location.  I just prefer knowing for sure where everything is.  

I really hope Nintendo gets their act together and updates the Switch firmware.

It seems to me to be a lot more simplistic in terms of features than would make sense. 

It's like despite having all the time in the world they shoved it out the door without something as basic as being able to have full control over use of system vs sd card storage.  

Other than firmware and eshop complaints (the Switch eshop looks VERY basic and rushed) I'm very much enjoying my Switch.  ?

Actually, they didn't have much time to develop the console. It takes time to design something that is new. It is easy said once the product is done and released.

As for the OS, Nintendo doesn't have expertise that Sony, let alone Microsoft has in doing OSs. And hiring people that knows about coding OS is extremely difficult. If you want to make money, go into that field. You'll get a job in a heart beat, and make lots of money. But you have to be real good. And I don't mean making your own Linux distro. I mean making your own OS, to have the skill and knowledge to modify one.

What happens when you rush? You get the disaster of OS that was the WiiU. The hardware of the console is more powerful than the XBox 360, and it takes 8 seconds to open Settings, and 21 seconds to return back to the main menu, and that is WITH the latest firmware that boosted the performance of everything like crazy. Imagine if your PC took 8 sec to open the Settings panel or Control Panel, and 21 sec to close it. And everything was so incredibly slow.

We can clearly see that Nintendo decided to not focus on features, apps, and all that, and just start making an OS that is fast, responsive, and has the core features.

Hopefully the OS can be the ground works for the companies future console, so that it is ready, fully features, on day 1, especially that so far, they have done excellent work... I mean..compared to the WiiU.

9 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It still bugs me that it doesn't seem to show the update data location (system storage vs sd card) like it does with screenshots and the Setsuna game I downloaded. It's not the end of the world if I don't see a highlighted bar confirming the update data location.  I just prefer knowing for sure where everything is.  

Except it does show it. Look at that screen again and you'll notice two things about this image you've captured. Firstly it shows two icons under each piece of software with a number next to them. Because both games aren't stored on internal storage on the image of the Switch it shows "---". Next to the SD Card icon on yours it shows that I am Setsuna taking up 1.3GB and BotW taking up 162MB. So it is showing you where that data is stored. That's your confirmation.

But your issue is with the bar on the side which effectively shows you the same information. Why is BotW not highlighted in the same way as I am Setsuna? Well because it's a smaller game. You see selecting a game on the list doesn't actually highlight where the game is stored. It highlights how much storage the game is taking up and where. With BotW taking up ~1/10th of the storage used up and 1/1000th of the SD Card? Of course it barely highlights anything! Download the demo of PuyoPuyo Tetris and look at the same page again, you'll see what's happening here.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing