Can you use 6 pin power plugs in 8 pin GPU?

OnionRings
On 4/15/2017 at 5:49 PM, OnionRings said:

My friend just bought a GTX 1080 and it has 2 8 pin power sockets but his PSU only has 2 6 pins, can he still use the 1080 until he upgrades his PSU? Obviously, he can't overclock it, but will it stay stable? The big questions though is it won't damage the card or anything? I don't have the answer for him as I always check my PSU before an upgrade, but he forgot to and all the stores near him are closed so he can't get one tonight.

i believe the 1080 has one 6 pin and one 8 pin, not two 8 pin

The extra 2 pins in each pci-e connector are basically ground wires, they don't carry extra power...the power is still transferred through the 3 pairs of wires in the regular 6 pin side of the connector.

The idea is that the 6 pin connector is meant to transfer up to 75w to the video card, while a 8pin connector would be capable of up to 150w

A GTX 1080 without overclocking should consume up to 185w or so, just round it up to 200w.  Make sure your power supply is capable of providing at least around 350w on the 12v rail (350w / 12v = 29A) because the 12v output is used to power the video card, cpu, fans, mechanical hdd motors so while your power supply may provide for example 500w in total, only a smaller part may be available on 12v

If your power supply can provide the current for video card and cpu and all that on 12v (like I showed above, aim for 30A or more on 12v)  then you could use adapters to connect your video card.

The card will probably take around 50w from the motherboard slot and up to around 150w from the two power connectors, so even 2 molex (ide hdd connectors) to pci-e 8 pin should be relatively safe to use.

Guys did you not lookat the date on this post before commenting lol? Its from halfway through 2017 lol.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

• 6 months later...

After all of this argument ı have 400W zalman (https://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=239) Psu with 2 six-pin pcı connector and ı just bought 8-pin rx 470 which is using maximum 145w (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-470,4703-6.html). Accorting to this article, ı can even use only 6 pin cable and it s works fine. Or ı should buy 6 pin to 8 pin? Or 2 molex to 8 pin? Or its just fine with 6 pin? By the way ı cant upgrade my psu now. :(

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9BL1kvNjAwNDQyL29yaWdpbmFsLzExLVBvd2VyLUNvbnN1bXB0aW9uLUFsbC1SYWlscy1CYXJzLnBuZw==.webp