Gaming Rig

marcbodea

Hello everyone,

My name is Marc and I want some help on my build:

1. Budget & Location

My budget is around 720€, I live in Romania and I will be ordering most of the components form computeruniverse.net.

2. Aim

Especially for gaming, but may do some light video editing too.

3. Monitors

I want to run 2, one will be HD(1080p) and just a smaller, auxiliary one.

4. Peripherals

I'm kinda set except for the HD monitor.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm currently running a MacBook Pro w/ i5 and a desktop with some kind of Pentium on it :s.

Here are my choices so far:

• CPU: AMD FX-8350@5.0GHz - 183€
  • MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - 119€
  • GPU: Shappire Radeon HD 6950(bought)
  • Case: BitFenix Shinobi - 66€
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - 58€
  • SSD: Samsung SSD 840 Series 120GB - 83€
  • PSU: ?(something ~650W)
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 1600MHz - 72€
  • CPU fan: Corsair H100i + Twin pack SP120 high performance edition fans - 115€

TOTAL: 697€

Thank you,

Marc.

First off I would of really recommended a better gpu but seeing as you already bought it there's not much to be done

You don't necessarily need to get a sabertooth as its really just paying extra for a plastic shroud

I would recommend the bitfenix shinobi which has a window and is the same price point as the 300r

As for the psu, a 500W is enough for your system (600W if you plan on doing crossfire in the future)

You should get 16gb ram which will make editing/rendering much smoother

If you plan on an extreme overclock an H100i is nice but if you want to be a bit more conservative, then hyper 212 will do the job

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Hi there

You are going to buy already overclocked AMD FX-8350 or you going to do it yourself? Go with water cooling CPU. You're on a budget so read some reviews on Corsair h50 or if you have enough the Corsair h100(i).

for the fx 8350, if you are ocing at 5ghz, than you should go for corsair h100i push/pull, you will need a compatible case as well.

And cut down the motherboard. sabertooth is just more plastic, here are some options

asrock 990fx extreme4

msi 990fx gd65

gigabyte 990fx ud3

First off I would of really recommended a better gpu but seeing as you already bought it there's not much to be done

You don't necessarily need to get a sabertooth as its really just paying extra for a plastic shroud

I would recommend the bitfenix shinobi which has a window and is the same price point as the 300r

As for the psu, a 500W is enough for your system (600W if you plan on doing crossfire in the future)

If you plan on an extreme overclock an H100i is nice but if you want to be a bit more conservative, then hyper 212 will do the job

Thanks for the suggestions,

I think i will go with the H100i, because i managed to save a bunch with the suggestions. I calculated my psu wattage requirement, and it is at 583W, so i need a 600W one…if you could recommend some good ones, i will be thankfull.

Hi there

You are going to buy already overclocked AMD FX-8350 or you going to do it yourself? Go with water cooling CPU. You're on a budget so read some reviews on Corsair h50 or if you have enough the Corsair h100(i).

I will do it myself and i think i will get the H100i.

for the fx 8350, if you are ocing at 5ghz, than you should go for corsair h100i push/pull, you will need a compatible case as well.

And cut down the motherboard. sabertooth is just more plastic, here are some options

asrock 990fx extreme4

msi 990fx gd65

gigabyte 990fx ud3

I decided to go with the gigabyte Mo-Bo and the H100i.

If you guys could recommend some good case and radiator fans(for the H100i push-pull), that'd be awesome.

And, BTW, does the H100i in push-pull fit inside the Shinobi?

If you guys could recommend some good case and radiator fans(for the H100i push-pull)' date=' that'd be awesome.[/quote']

Here are some good but expensive fans:

if you need pwm http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=42&lng=en

otherwise http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=12&lng=en

FX6300 - 8GB DDR3 1600 - GTX 1060

for the radiator fans, this is the chain that i would follow

noctua nf f12 > Scythe gentle typhoon > silverstone air penetraters > Corsair Sp12

for the radiator fans, this is the chain that i would follow

noctua nf f12 > Scythe gentle typhoon > silverstone air penetraters > Corsair Sp12

I think I will go with the corsair ones, they are the most inexpensive(half the price). I can't afford to spend that much on fans.

Just a small note, but be aware that you won't see too much of a performance boost in games from overclocking the FX to 5ghz. You'll probably be GPU-bottlenecked at stock clocks, so overclocking would only be beneficial if you upgrade your graphics card. I'd personally opt for a cheaper solution with the cooler, but that's just me (either ditch the aftermarket fans, or go for an air cooler).

Also, do you know what exact power supply it is? 650w is a good choice for a rig like that, but make sure it's a quality unit. Build looks good, though you could save a bit of money by going for an FX-8320, which is a slightly lower-binned 8350. You'll probably also be fine with 8GB, even with video editing it should be fine for light usage.

Just a small note, but be aware that you won't see too much of a performance boost in games from overclocking the FX to 5ghz. You'll probably be GPU-bottlenecked at stock clocks, so overclocking would only be beneficial if you upgrade your graphics card. I'd personally opt for a cheaper solution with the cooler, but that's just me (either ditch the aftermarket fans, or go for an air cooler).

Also, do you know what exact power supply it is? 650w is a good choice for a rig like that, but make sure it's a quality unit. Build looks good, though you could save a bit of money by going for an FX-8320, which is a slightly lower-binned 8350. You'll probably also be fine with 8GB, even with video editing it should be fine for light usage.

Will probably do a Crossfire setup onwards. I won't change the RAM capacity, that's what I want.

I'm kinda set with the components i have until now, the only thing i need is a PSU. I could change them only if someone had a really good argument against something. Thank you all for helping me out!