First Build

Deux Alpha
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,

I'd suggest a 1600 instead as well as an rx 480 8gb, otherwise looks good.

13 minutes ago, Draknour said:

I prefer AMD systems, seems like Intel CPU's are not as robust as AMD, and here is a little secret, as you add more and more programs and processes to your computer, multiple cores show off better. so dollar for dollar, Ryzen is the way to go now, and as your systems starts to get bogged down, it will truly shine. now all that is left is to pick a mobo that has every feature imaginable.

Define Robust, like can I take a hammer to my AMD cpu?

Not point trying to talk to you anymore, your a massive AMD fanboy.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

8 minutes ago, Draknour said:

I prefer AMD systems, seems like Intel CPU's are not as robust as AMD, and here is a little secret, as you add more and more programs and processes to your computer, multiple cores show off better. so dollar for dollar, Ryzen is the way to go now, and as your systems starts to get bogged down, it will truly shine. now all that is left is to pick a mobo that has every feature imaginable.

6 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Define Robust, like can I take a hammer to my AMD cpu?

Not point trying to talk to you anymore, your a massive AMD fanboy.

I get what he's saying, more cores = more processing power, but while that might be good for graphic design or heavy rendering (i guess..?) for gaming it might be less consistent, right? like very good performance in some games but then not so good in others... I have the idea that Intel is more consistent on gaming performance... is that correct?

I spent 50 dollars on an amd fx 4100 and it auto overclocks at 4100. my last stem which was still going strong was an that was running at a steady 25% OC at 2250 GHZ. I realize you can get great speeds out of intel, but I switched to amd because the price per performance curve was in their favor.

12 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Up to you really, either I7-7700 + B250 or a Ryzen 5 build.

Or as @STRMfrmXMN suggested previously, w/ sticking w/ the I5 and get a Rx480

But then, is the i5 going to handle the progression of time? how long? less than 5 years probably..?

11 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

I get what he's saying, more cores = more processing power, but while that might be good for graphic design or heavy rendering (i guess..?) for gaming it might be less consistent, right? like very good performance in some games but then not so good in others... I have the idea that Intel is more consistent on gaming performance... is that correct?

From the earlier benchmarks yes, Intel was still top, idk now, since AMD has released patches for improvements on some games.

Games don't really care on the amount of cores you have (reason why I5 was the gamers choice for awhile over the i7)

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

in time you may install other programs you like, some malware protection, something that watches your fav forums, who knows, with more cores, these assignments can be directed to the cores that are not being used for gaming, but this is something that is not apparant when you start your system right off. so lets say I am playing ashes, I am streaming my favorite Pandora, I have a system monitor up and yadda yadda, Most games only use 4 cores max, but the more cores you have, the more these background processes can be shunted to them.

9 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

But then, is the i5 going to handle the progression of time? how long? less than 5 years probably..?

If your getting a newer chipset (200 series), you will be fine, until they revise the chipsets/change the socket, which I don't think is for another few years, but even then, many people game on older I5s and i7's. Depends on how your game is designed (more cpu heavy or gpu heavy).

Ryzen does have the advantage of supposedly having the am4 socket lasting longer, but it's a newer architecture, still has bugs/issues.

Current System Specs:

1 minute ago, Drake10114 said:

From the earlier benchmarks yes, Intel was still top, idk now, since AMD has released patches for improvements on some games.

Games don't really care on the amount of cores you have (reason why I5 was the gamers choice for awhile over the i7)

If I had more money I would go for an i7, since i do alot of multitasking (like 20 tabs open and playing CS last night, no joke) that's why I was thinking on a AMD too, because they're better at multitasking and are cheaper than an i7, but I don't know if it's worth it for gaming

I Kinda agree Drake, but I am not so sure if it is the CPU or the Mobo, I played it safe and decided to goto FX myself, I built a sturdy system for under 666 dollars. yea i added it up last night and was suprised at the total cost

2 minutes ago, Draknour said:

in time you may install other programs you like, some malware protection, something that watches your fav forums, who knows, with more cores, these assignments can be directed to the cores that are not being used for gaming, but this is something that is not apparant when you start your system right off. so lets say I am playing ashes, I am streaming my favorite Pandora, I have a system monitor up and yadda yadda, Most games only use 4 cores max, but the more cores you have, the more these background processes can be shunted to them.

But since my main goal is gaming, is AMD really worth it?

If I had more money I would go for an i7, since i do alot of multitasking (like 20 tabs open and playing CS last night, no joke) that's why I was thinking on a AMD too, because they're better at multitasking and are cheaper than an i7, but I don't know if it's worth it for gaming

I see it as this, Intel has a stable design system, and have worked out their bugs and issues already, and you know what your getting.

Ryzen on the other hand is new, and still hasn't been fully optimized yet to the point where bugs/issues are beyond it, and it has undergone the amount of benchmarking, testing, real-world gaming that Intel has.

Current System Specs:

Duex check my profile and look at my build. the parts listed were around 540 dolllars, but I replaced my power supply and bough a better all in one cooler along with some odds and ends. at 540, that leaves a large budget for more ram, GPU and Processing

10 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

Yes & No, Intel still kicks AMD down when it comes to gaming, because mostly everything is Intel optimized. AMD is new, meaning they haven't had anything optimized yet for them. Do you want kickass performance, no bugs/issues at the get-go or have to wait a few months or a year for stuff to catch up and be optimized for AMD?

Current System Specs:

19 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

Yes, I Know that too! But if I didn't need to SLI that wasn't a problem.

What are the advantages of the RX480? Other than VRAM and Crossfire

It's a better GPU mostly due to VRAM. It's about the same price too.

18 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

@STRMfrmXMN you feel like chimming in on why 10 year old PSu's are not necessarily the best?

1st off, I never mentioned cheaper components (and if your saying lower wattage is cheaper, than your wrong)

2nd, PSU's get outdated irregardless of quality due to how power needs to be deilvered to components, i.e. 12v rails and 24v rails. By assuming I bought a $200 PSU, and I'll be fine in 10 years is crap frankly, since in 10 years, computers may only need a single connector to power everything (extreme example), and a 10 year old PSu won't be able to do that.

You wouldn't have a PSU that conforms to modern ATX standards if you bought something ten years ago, even a decent unit like a Corsair TX or similar. That said, if I bought a Seasonic PRIME I'd expect it to last 10 years and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll use it that long.

18 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

I think @STRMfrmXMN's solution is more within my budget

I'd assume you're playing 1080P 60Hz then?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

before you go spending, watch linus tech tips on anything about is it worth it, I learned alot.

10 minutes ago, Draknour said:

Duex check my profile and look at my build. the parts listed were around 540 dolllars, but I replaced my power supply and bough a better all in one cooler along with some odds and ends. at 540, that leaves a large budget for more ram, GPU and Processing

Won't help Op unless your trying to sell your system, everyone found deals on their systems/ got parts from other people.

Current System Specs:

Less than that. Most games need an i7 to play at a consistent 144Hz at 1080P nowdays.

3 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

I'd get an R5 1500X over an i5.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

before you go spending, watch linus tech tips on anything about is it worth it, I learned alot.

Or read reviews/check videos from other guides, basising an Entire purchase off what 1 person says is ludicrous.

Current System Specs:

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Less than that. Most games need an i7 to play at a consistent 144Hz at 1080P nowdays.

I'd get an R5 1500X over an i5.

Really crap.. well hopefully my Kabylake i5 will be able to keep up lmfao.

Current System Specs:

1 minute ago, Drake10114 said:

I see it as this, Intel has a stable design system, and have worked out their bugs and issues already, and you know what your getting.

Ryzen on the other hand is new, and still hasn't been fully optimized yet to the point where bugs/issues are beyond it, and it has undergone the amount of benchmarking, testing, real-world gaming that Intel has.

As a Mac user i feel like windows is pretty unstable and problematic (not so smooth as OSX), that's a huge point against AMD for me... Since i'm making this desktop for better gaming, and i need good graphics and performance to not feel the difference as much as possible

I got my ssd and case free, so how does this help OP lol?

Current System Specs:

I agree the apple os is so much more stable, especially in firmware applications like phones and such. but if you want bang for the buck, opensource is the way to go. yes an iphone is great, but a 100 dollar android with a 30 dollar 64 gb microsd card is alot cheaper.

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It's a better GPU mostly due to VRAM. It's about the same price too.

You wouldn't have a PSU that conforms to modern ATX standards if you bought something ten years ago, even a decent unit like a Corsair TX or similar. That said, if I bought a Seasonic PRIME I'd expect it to last 10 years and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll use it that long.

I'd assume you're playing 1080P 60Hz then?

or 120hz yeah... i didn't see any monitors yet 

13 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

As a Mac user i feel like windows is pretty unstable and problematic (not so smooth as OSX), that's a huge point against AMD for me... Since i'm making this desktop for better gaming, and i need good graphics and performance to not feel the difference as much as possible

If your gaming, your stuck w/ Windows unfortunately, since Mac's really aren't usually thought of as a gaming machine (other than minesweeper)

Current System Specs: