First Build

Deux Alpha
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,

I'd suggest a 1600 instead as well as an rx 480 8gb, otherwise looks good.

3 minutes ago, Draknour said:

I'm from EU so that's not an option for me :/ 

8 minutes ago, Draknour said:

before you go spending, watch linus tech tips on anything about is it worth it, I learned alot.

I've been doing that

4 minutes ago, Draknour said:

I agree the apple os is so much more stable, especially in firmware applications like phones and such. but if you want bang for the buck, opensource is the way to go. yes an iphone is great, but a 100 dollar android with a 30 dollar 64 gb microsd card is alot cheaper.

I don't mean to start an IOS-Android fight here but my vision about that is: I want something to make calls, send SMSs, and some social media that runs smoothly, not a pocket computer
But apple is getting absurdly overpriced nowadays 

when I started shopping for parts for this build I first designed a dream build. I then decided to go from the best to the second best in parts, then I took out some of the things that i did not need right now. yes there is better ddr3 ram than what I have, but mine was almost as good and it was alot cheaper. I now wish I had bought 2x8 moduals because that would have only been 50% more than just one. knowing Ryzen was comming out I went with FX, when I saw a 4100 on sale cheap I decided to pick it up. I am betting on the better FX CPU's prices to come down to around 75 dollars or so withing a few years. I can add more ram, another ssd and upgrade my video card as I find great deals. but for now I am playing along wonderfully, and even experimenting with overclocking my CPU, best stable so far has been 4423 GHZ for overclocking, but I was getting weird stuff happening in my games so I brought it down to 4100.

hey I bought 4 windows 10 pro oems for 12 dollars from a guy in england, they were so cheap I had to jump on it. I have this feeling though if I dont register them soon, someone else may get the same number though. btw, there is this guy who used to work for windows who has his own youtube channel, I forgot who he is. but he has some great advice and warnings about windows.

8 minutes ago, Draknour said:

when I started shopping for parts for this build I first designed a dream build. I then decided to go from the best to the second best in parts, then I took out some of the things that i did not need right now. yes there is better ddr3 ram than what I have, but mine was almost as good and it was alot cheaper. I now wish I had bought 2x8 moduals because that would have only been 50% more than just one. knowing Ryzen was comming out I went with FX, when I saw a 4100 on sale cheap I decided to pick it up. I am betting on the better FX CPU's prices to come down to around 75 dollars or so withing a few years. I can add more ram, another ssd and upgrade my video card as I find great deals. but for now I am playing along wonderfully, and even experimenting with overclocking my CPU, best stable so far has been 4423 GHZ for overclocking, but I was getting weird stuff happening in my games so I brought it down to 4100.

But in terms of gaming performance more cores don't do much... so my question is, can a same priced AMD achieve an Intel performance in gaming (since AMD approach is more focused on cores)?
and i'm worried about AMD being more unstable than Intel too

price per performance amd wins, at new build max intel wins, as your system has more and more processes running, wich they always do over time, amd wins again. if you want max performance and dont mind reinstalling windows every few week or so, go intel, if you what the best bang for the buck, and something that keeps chugging along as your system fills up, go amd

btw when I looked at someone installing an I7 and saw the force they had to use, I said aww he!! no, with my luck I would sheer all the pins off the chip and when I tried to power it up my MOBO would catch fire lol.

everytime a new CPU comes out there always seems to be alot of bugs. seems like you have to flash your bios every month or so till the mobo manufacturer decides to stop supporting it because they found a better way. my very first build was an intel build with a new processor and it seemed so buggy, I ended up replacing the mobo after only a year and a half. btw my first build was using PC-DOS and Windows 3.11

1 minute ago, Draknour said:

everytime a new CPU comes out there always seems to be alot of bugs. seems like you have to flash your bios every month or so till the mobo manufacturer decides to stop supporting it because they found a better way. my very first build was an intel build with a new processor and it seemed so buggy, I ended up replacing the mobo after only a year and a half. btw my first build was using PC-DOS and Windows 3.11

And you don't have that with AMD? How come if AMD is more unstable?!

it is not the CPU at fault, it is the MOBO. I switched to amd in june of 2000 after the athlon "classic" had been on the market for a year. if you look at the news on ryzen you see stuff about they are fixing this problem and that problem. it might be a year before they all the bugs worked out where it runs as expected. when I saw how much more stable it was, especially when over clocking it, and the fact that when intel said 4000 they meant 3600 and when amd said 3600 they meant 4000.

5 minutes ago, Draknour said:

it is not the CPU at fault, it is the MOBO. I switched to amd in june of 2000 after the athlon "classic" had been on the market for a year. if you look at the news on ryzen you see stuff about they are fixing this problem and that problem. it might be a year before they all the bugs worked out where it runs as expected. when I saw how much more stable it was, especially when over clocking it, and the fact that when intel said 4000 they meant 3600 and when amd said 3600 they meant 4000.

In this comparison they say the Intel cores are faster... and has an overall better score

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1500X/3503vs3921

so the decisision is ryzon, and hope your mobo bios can be flashed to keep up with the fixes, intel, wich is already running smooth, or fx, wich is also running smooth. do you want peak performance with high maintenance, or willing to have performance almost as good but with little maintenance, also do you want to spend more, or less. I beleive Ryzen is a gamble right now as far as mobos are concearned, intel rocks, but you pay for it and you have to maintain it to keep that performance, and fx is the way to go if your lazy and cheap, but love your varied side programs.

please let me know what you decide. why dont you start pricing things, find out what a dream build is for all three choices, then back off a little to match your budget, and then see what you would be happiest with. with a 1k budget you could get a 1080 gpu, a i7 or fx 9000 series cpu, a top of the line mobo, some ram and maybe a cheap all in one cooler. you can later use the rad on the all in one cooler for dedicated gpu cooling and the block/pump combo for a custom cpu colling system to save some money.

yes the cores are faster, but.. they cannot handle multithreading as well, that means that as you install more and more software on your system, it takes from the gaming experience by taking up processing cycles. with additional cores, these process are shunted to the cores not taking up by the game. so in a way, games that only use 4 processors work in amd's favor, but only if you look down the road.

my 4100 only has 4 cores, and I can definitely see a difference than when I am running on a fresh boot, and when I have a a few programs up and in the background. with a high end intel processor it wont be noticed right away, but in time like a month, 2 at most you will start to notice your game is not as smooth as it once was, especially if you have other things going on in the background.

a good exaple is when intel had 1 fast core on a processor and amd had 2 almost as fast cores on a processor and games only used one core, with enough ram I did not notice a reduction in game play when I had pandora running in a browser and I was playing a high end shooting game. I used to make my friends mad when I could listen to music and gun down the terrorists in counterstrike and they could not.

19 minutes ago, Draknour said:

so the decisision is ryzon, and hope your mobo bios can be flashed to keep up with the fixes, intel, wich is already running smooth, or fx, wich is also running smooth. do you want peak performance with high maintenance, or willing to have performance almost as good but with little maintenance, also do you want to spend more, or less. I beleive Ryzen is a gamble right now as far as mobos are concearned, intel rocks, but you pay for it and you have to maintain it to keep that performance, and fx is the way to go if your lazy and cheap, but love your varied side programs.

please let me know what you decide. why dont you start pricing things, find out what a dream build is for all three choices, then back off a little to match your budget, and then see what you would be happiest with. with a 1k budget you could get a 1080 gpu, a i7 or fx 9000 series cpu, a top of the line mobo, some ram and maybe a cheap all in one cooler. you can later use the rad on the all in one cooler for dedicated gpu cooling and the block/pump combo for a custom cpu colling system to save some money.

With a 1080, a i7 and a top of the line mobo I would spend al my budget and have no more for case and storage :/ 

to get the best gaming vid card is king, you can get some really great cards for around 3-350 usd.  that leaves 650 for the rest. personally I wouold shy away from glass, not only does it break, it reflects heat. I went with X-Dreamer4-BL-5_500.jpgbecause it hase ample ventilation and the price was reasonable, also I like blue lol. oooh imagine the cooling i could get with a 200mm rad on the door. I got mine for aound 80 but the pices have dropped by 10 in the last month.

next was this

970-Pro-Gaming-Aura-top.jpg

RGB lighting and seemed to be second best mobo for fx processors. and it was only 100 usd

I found an amd 4100 for 40 something usd and decided why not, I can over clock it to death if I wanted to at that price.

when I saw the price of ripjaws I paused, but the hyperx fury was alot more reasonable and it had similar perfomance, so I spent 80 for an 8 gig, wish I had spent 120 for 2 instead.

psu I am using now is an 850 evga bq and neweggs has it for 60.

your spot on for the ssd I have the same thing, I plan on getting another and setting them up in raid 0 with a 3 TB main storage. raid 0 splits the data between 2 ssds so it makes it almost twice as fast, problem is that is 2 points of failure so weekly backups are advised. in my case I ripped out the lower drive caddy and added in an icydock dual ssd 1x 3.5 in a single 5.25 bay. I mounted it behind I slot for an external ssd dock in the bottom bay on my case. I had to make a couple of holes but it turned out great. that was around 12 usd I purchased an oem copy of windows 10 pro on the cheap, and ordered another on a usb for 20 before I realized my old windows could have made it happen. some thumb scres and some ide cover plates and that would leave you 500 for a better vid card and processor, 8570 and asus rog radeon rx 480 strix-rx480-08g gpu puts you around 1k, and really good performance.

ASUS ROG Radeon RX 480 STRIX-RX480-O8

1 minute ago, Draknour said:

to get the best gaming vid card is king, you can get some really great cards for around 3-350 usd.  that leaves 650 for the rest. personally I wouold shy away from glass, not only does it break, it reflects heat. I went with X-Dreamer4-BL-5_500.jpgbecause it hase ample ventilation and the price was reasonable, also I like blue lol. oooh imagine the cooling i could get with a 200mm rad on the door. I got mine for aound 80 but the pices have dropped by 10 in the last month.

next was this

970-Pro-Gaming-Aura-top.jpg

RGB lighting and seemed to be second best mobo for fx processors. and it was only 100 usd

I found an amd 4100 for 40 something usd and decided why not, I can over clock it to death if I wanted to at that price.

when I saw the price of ripjaws I paused, but the hyperx fury was alot more reasonable and it had similar perfomance, so I spent 80 for an 8 gig, wish I had spent 120 for 2 instead.

psu I am using now is an 850 evga bq and neweggs has it for 60.

your spot on for the ssd I have the same thing, I plan on getting another and setting them up in raid 0 with a 3 TB main storage. raid 0 splits the data between 2 ssds so it makes it almost twice as fast, problem is that is 2 points of failure so weekly backups are advised. in my case I ripped out the lower drive caddy and added in an icydock dual ssd 1x 3.5 in a single 5.25 bay. I mounted it behind I slot for an external ssd dock in the bottom bay on my case. I had to make a couple of holes but it turned out great. that was around 12 usd I purchased an oem copy of windows 10 pro on the cheap, and ordered another on a usb for 20 before I realized my old windows could have made it happen. some thumb scres and some ide cover plates and that would leave you 500 for a better vid card and processor, 8570 and asus rog radeon rx 480 strix-rx480-08g gpu puts you around 1k, and really good performance.

ASUS ROG Radeon RX 480 STRIX-RX480-O8

I'm in EU, you're working with US prices

80 case

100 mobo

120 16gb ram

150 cpu 9570 or 8370 same, 8370 seem to be more robust and can handle higher oc

60 for psu

80 for ssd

300 for the gpu

100 for cooling

that leaves 110 for the other buts like the icydock, os, and anything else you want. that is a good system for under 1000

4 minutes ago, Draknour said:

1 eu = 1.06 usd

it doesn't work like that
You have to apply VAT on that

if I were to exchange my dollars for eu, I would have to pa 1.06 each as well as the exchangers fees. I beleive ebay does it for free so you do not have to pay the exchange fee that most banks charge.

sorry I meant paypay, I am unsure about ebay, but when I made purchases with paypal i did not pay more per eu than the exchange rate that day.