First Build

Deux Alpha
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,

I'd suggest a 1600 instead as well as an rx 480 8gb, otherwise looks good.

19 minutes ago, Draknour said:

the issue is with the mobo, not so much the processor on ryzen.

I still don't understand what kind of issues the mobos have

8 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You would have to be mentally insane to consider an AMD FX cpu over Ryzen or Intel.

if I were to pick AMD it would be definitely Ryzen 

9 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

I still don't understand what kind of issues the mobos have

It is mainly ram issues with boards at the minute, but they should be fixed with bios updates. There is no need to avoid Ryzen.

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

It is mainly ram issues with boards at the minute, but they should be fixed with bios updates. There is no need to avoid Ryzen.

33 minutes ago, Draknour said:

the issue is with the mobo, not so much the processor on ryzen. also we are talking bang for the buck. 10-15% less capability but Superior utility and robustness.  with adequate cooling your fx can exceed anything intel has and do it with style. remember extra cores means more background processes that dont effect your game, for example, playing counterstrike, takes 4 cores, windows now riding on a core, 1 core recording the game, one core recording you as you play and a core free. ok it does not work exactly like that but you get the idea.  if I did the research i am sure I could show things like wider architecture somewhere, and how it effects performance at similer speeds with lesser architecture. but frankly it comes down to bang for the buck, quad core amd systems came out over 10 years ago and they are still in use today. the am2 sereies came out in may of 2006 and people are still buying them, and with a good gpu they have been playing current games. intel cannot boast the same. also amd overclocks better and more stable. in a perfect world ryzen came out last year or intel improved their multi-threading, but when fx processors are setting world records for benchmarks

look at this link https://valid.x86.fr/records.html

intel has one and it is not an i5 or i7 that was the final decider for me. I would rather driver a skyline that could be modded out and get a close second place, than a bugatti that is 10x the cost and only goes a little faster.

I searched some mobos for AMD and found out that only the top-ish ones have usb 3.1 and not even DDR4... how come?!

14 hours ago, Draknour said:

so the decisision is ryzon, and hope your mobo bios can be flashed to keep up with the fixes, intel, wich is already running smooth, or fx, wich is also running smooth. do you want peak performance with high maintenance, or willing to have performance almost as good but with little maintenance, also do you want to spend more, or less. I beleive Ryzen is a gamble right now as far as mobos are concearned, intel rocks, but you pay for it and you have to maintain it to keep that performance, and fx is the way to go if your lazy and cheap, but love your varied side programs.

please let me know what you decide. why dont you start pricing things, find out what a dream build is for all three choices, then back off a little to match your budget, and then see what you would be happiest with. with a 1k budget you could get a 1080 gpu, a i7 or fx 9000 series cpu, a top of the line mobo, some ram and maybe a cheap all in one cooler. you can later use the rad on the all in one cooler for dedicated gpu cooling and the block/pump combo for a custom cpu colling system to save some money.

well, I think I've made up my mind, I'll go with a R5 1600 and a RX480 8GB
Now I don't know if is better to upgrade the PSU for 650W... do you think is necessary? This build is at 331W, so 550W should do even if I'm overclocking, but my fear is a future GPU upgrade

38 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

well, I think I've made up my mind, I'll go with a R5 1600 and a RX480 8GB
Now I don't know if is better to upgrade the PSU for 650W... do you think is necessary? This build is at 331W, so 550W should do even if I'm overclocking, but my fear is a future GPU upgrade

If you are going with the RX 480 then you might as well wait for the newer RX 580. It is supposedly due around the 18th of this month.

7 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

If you are going with the RX 480 then you might as well wait for the newer RX 580. It is supposedly due around the 18th of this month.

Oh, thank you!!
I'm not building it right away (probably in the summer) so I'll definitely check it out

now that you know more or less what you want, keep checking prices, you never know when you will find a great deal on what you want, or something even better