Case fan screws...

MalfurionStormrage

I completed my first build yesterday, and everything is fine except that I don't have any case fans and it gets quite hot in the case (no airflow).

I ordered 3 120mm fans, but they don't come with screws.

I've read somewhere that case fans require specially made screws and the usual screws can't be used. Do I really need to get special screws?

Yes and no. Those "special screws" are rather short and stubby. They are also self tapping. (creating threads in the fans)

But you can also use small nuts and bolts. It's just another way of mounting things. And in the end, you could even use zip-ties.

9 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Yes and no. Those "special screws" are rather short and stubby. They are also self tapping. (creating threads in the fans)

But you can also use small nuts and bolts. It's just another way of mounting things. And in the end, you could even use zip-ties.

Wall putty is also a nice janky solution.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Wall putty is also a nice janky solution.

Haven't seen this before... Ever. You could also use some kind of glue, or even epoxy. But then you are "stuck with it". If you have any kind of problem, you are screwed.

DSCN8666.thumb.JPG.f351c7212787b0931be100387dc1f0a2.JPG

This is how I fixed my old Zalman CPU cooler. Zip-ties go trough the stock holes, and on the other end, there is just another zip-tie end which has been cut off. Works perfectly. (origionaly it had an fan inside the coper blades, which I could not find for cheap)

And if I am correct, even Linus used zip ties once to mount a fan/heatsink/whatever. And if I am not correct, other big youtubers have also used zip ties to mount things like fans and heatsinks. (AM4 brackets not included with them coolers for example)

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

Haven't seen this before... Ever. You could also use some kind of glue, or even epoxy. But then you are "stuck with it". If you have any kind of problem, you are screwed.

This is how I fixed my old Zalman CPU cooler. Zip-ties go trough the stock holes, and on the other end, there is just another zip-tie end which has been cut off. Works perfectly. (origionaly it had an fan inside the coper blades, which I could not find for cheap)

And if I am correct, even Linus used zip ties once to mount a fan/heatsink/whatever. And if I am not correct, other big youtubers have also used zip ties to mount things like fans and heatsinks. (AM4 brackets not included with them coolers for example)

If you use hot glue, then it might not be as big of a problem since hot glue is easy to remove. My A50 cooler is held together with zip ties because when I initially built it, I mounted the fan the wrong way and over the years the clips just stretched to the point it doesn't cling onto the heatsink (oops).

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

@BlueChinchillaEatingDorito I have a few issues with your hotglue statement. I once used hotglue on my fans, to put filtering material on it. After I wanted to replace it, it was close to impossible to remove it from the (plastic) fans. Hotglue can be nice, but not always, and especialy not ideal on fans.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

@BlueChinchillaEatingDorito I have a few issues with your hotglue statement. I once used hotglue on my fans, to put filtering material on it. After I wanted to replace it, it was close to impossible to remove it from the (plastic) fans. Hotglue can be nice, but not always, and especialy not ideal on fans.

Interesting. Everything I hot glued was easy to remove. Because it'll fall off way before I want it to.

1 hour ago, MalfurionStormrage said:

I completed my first build yesterday, and everything is fine except that I don't have any case fans and it gets quite hot in the case (no airflow).

I ordered 3 120mm fans, but they don't come with screws.

I've read somewhere that case fans require specially made screws and the usual screws can't be used. Do I really need to get special screws?

Please ignore @Dutch-stoner as he is upmost certainly a 'troll'.

He is a troll in whom I have come across multiple times on this forum, posting horrendous recommendations of using glue, or as with me claiming you want the thermal paste as thin as possible, which was never a requirement given by any manufactures, ever.

Anyhow, on the topic of fans, to were do you desire to mount of these fans, in which chassis? Quite often fans will require longer screws, such as when used on a heat exchangers going through the fan's screw holes, as such:

Image result for radiator screws

For mounting a fan, or radiator like so, these types of screws would be best:

Related image

England's Maplin stores sell screw kits as such, which I guarantee will fit most needs.

I hope this helped! This is quite a simple guide, so I shall adapt of it further if you require.

Kind regards,

-EnergyEclipse

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Which fans are you getting? I've yet to see even budget fans that would come without screws.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv