Windows 7 installation ends in BsoDs

Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,

I think it might be because you need to inject the USB 3 drivers using a tool like this  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool.zip

It's been known for a while that this is a problem and you need to use that tool to inject the drivers for USB 3 into the windows install.

Hello

When I try to install Windows 7 respectively boot an already installed one I always get the following BsoD:

Spoiler

STOP 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFA800D971028, 0x00000000BE000000, 0x00000000000c1136)

This happens when I try:

• Installing it (there it occurs mostly at the point where it writes 'Extracting Files')
  • booting from the SSD (where I installed Windows 7 on from my old Pc) ... here it happens right after the Windows Logo appears.

I can't think of a way where it can be a faulty CD, as I was perfectly able to install it on my old Pc (an 11 year old Acer Desktop) without error.

My Components are:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GamingX
Mainboard: AORUS Z270X Gaming 7
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb (2x 8Gb, 3200Mhz)
PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750W
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
CPU_Cooler: Corsair H115i
Optical_Drive: Some Hitachi-LG drive (it works... I took it from my old rig)

The steps I already took are:

• Reassemle the whole build
  • Swap out the RAM (Had to buy a new pair)
  • Remove the GPU
  • Change the SSD (with Windows 7 installed) to the HDD of my old Pc
  • Swap out my CPU (Had to buy a new one)

Oh and I don't think it is the Mainboard, because I changed that from an ASUS Maximus IV Hero (that was an RMA from yet another Maximus IV Hero...)
Currently, the only thing that I didn't change is the PSU... but I cannot really afford to just buy one and hope for the best...
And I cannot think of any more steps that I could take! (That's why I'm posting this after all... I need help)   

Also I am NOT able to provide any dump files, because... well the BsoD occurs when I try to install it.

I would really appreciate any help (other than 'google it'... i searched for more than 1h so I think posting is legitimate. And yes I know that other persons too experienced those nasty 0x00000124s, but their circumstances are different.)

Many thanks Pumpkin

Pumpkins Deserve Hats!

7 minutes ago, Pumpkin said:

Hello

When I try to install Windows 7 respectively boot an already installed one I always get the following BsoD:

Reveal hidden contents

STOP 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFA800D971028, 0x00000000BE000000, 0x00000000000c1136)

This happens when I try:

• Installing it (there it occurs mostly at the point where it writes 'Extracting Files')
  • booting from the SSD (where I installed Windows 7 on from my old Pc) ... here it happens right after the Windows Logo appears.

I can't think of a way where it can be a faulty CD, as I was perfectly able to install it on my old Pc (an 11 year old Acer Desktop) without error.

My Components are:

Reveal hidden contents

CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GamingX
Mainboard: AORUS Z270X Gaming 7
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb (2x 8Gb, 3200Mhz)
PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750W
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
CPU_Cooler: Corsair H115i
Optical_Drive: Some Hitachi-LG drive (it works... I took it from my old rig)

The steps I already took are:

• Reassemle the whole build
  • Swap out the RAM (Had to buy a new pair)
  • Remove the GPU
  • Change the SSD (with Windows 7 installed) to the HDD of my old Pc
  • Swap out my CPU (Had to buy a new one)

Oh and I don't think it is the Mainboard, because I changed that from an ASUS Maximus IV Hero (that was an RMA from yet another Maximus IV Hero...)
Currently, the only thing that I didn't change is the PSU... but I cannot really afford to just buy one and hope for the best...
And I cannot think of any more steps that I could take! (That's why I'm posting this after all... I need help)   

Also I am NOT able to provide any dump files, because... well the BsoD occurs when I try to install it.

I would really appreciate any help (other than 'google it'... i searched for more than 1h so I think posting is legitimate. And yes I know that other persons too experienced those nasty 0x00000124s, but their circumstances are different.)

Many thanks Pumpkin

you tried changing in bios from ahci to ide ? that worked for me i had this issue with ssds before , windows didnt seem to like ahci

if that dont work try it the other way

sometimes windows hates the standard that the ssd uses to communicate with the rest of your pc... soo try that

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

18 minutes ago, gchan985 said:

you tried changing in bios from ahci to ide ? that worked for me i had this issue with ssds before , windows didnt seem to like ahci

if that dont work try it the other way

sometimes windows hates the standard that the ssd uses to communicate with the rest of your pc... soo try that

So I tried to do this, but I can only find an option to switch AHCI to 'Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration' to which the manual says: 'Enables RAID for SATA controllers..

Anyways I changed it and the exact same thing happened.

Oh.. and I suspect that it might have to do with the PSU (jsut bc. it's the only part, that i haven't been able to replace/test)

Edited by Pumpkin
Addition

Pumpkins Deserve Hats!

I think it might be because you need to inject the USB 3 drivers using a tool like this  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool.zip

It's been known for a while that this is a problem and you need to use that tool to inject the drivers for USB 3 into the windows install.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

@paddy-stone

I'll try that, but I don't really understand why... I mean, I don't use the USB 3.0 ports (during boot)... could you elaborate the reasons for that? (I'm genuinely interested)

Also, do I need to put the installatipn CD on a thumb drive for this?

Pumpkins Deserve Hats!

18 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

OP forgot to tag you ^^^^

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

1 hour ago, Pumpkin said:

@paddy-stone

I'll try that, but I don't really understand why... I mean, I don't use the USB 3.0 ports (during boot)... could you elaborate the reasons for that? (I'm genuinely interested)

Also, do I need to put the installatipn CD on a thumb drive for this?

I'll refer you to this.. http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2015/09/having-trouble-installing-windows-7-by.html

It's not a complete explanation, but basically what I said before about the drivers. It's actually because the windows 7 installer uses an older driver that won't work properly on the newer mobos, so patching the windows .iso file is the only way forward looks like. No, you don't need to use a USB necessarily, but you do however have to make an .iso file from the cd/dvd and then run the patching tool... this will in turn give you a new .iso to use, so you can then either use a USB drive or make a cd/dvd... you might want to keep a copy of that injected .iso file somewhere safe so you don't have to do it all again, and IMO it's better with USB drive and faster install too.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

49 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I'll refer you to this.. http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2015/09/having-trouble-installing-windows-7-by.html

It's not a complete explanation, but basically what I said before about the drivers. It's actually because the windows 7 installer uses an older driver that won't work properly on the newer mobos, so patching the windows .iso file is the only way forward looks like. No, you don't need to use a USB necessarily, but you do however have to make an .iso file from the cd/dvd and then run the patching tool... this will in turn give you a new .iso to use, so you can then either use a USB drive or make a cd/dvd... you might want to keep a copy of that injected .iso file somewhere safe so you don't have to do it all again, and IMO it's better with USB drive and faster install too.

Thanks alot! I could install it!!

I still wonder why I could originally install w7 on my Maximus IV Hero and then the errors occured,  but I am happy that it works! 

Pumpkins Deserve Hats!

2 hours ago, Pumpkin said:

Thanks alot! I could install it!!

I still wonder why I could originally install w7 on my Maximus IV Hero and then the errors occured,  but I am happy that it works! 

oops nevermind, you already found it anyway.. I just missed seeing it. Glad it helped you and that you have your system up and running now.. enjoy :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini