FreeNAS 10 Corral Development Halted as Project Lead leaves iXsystems

dalekphalm
On 2017-04-14 at 1:45 AM, zMeul said:

the way the title is worded, I though FreeNAS as a project was done for o.O

Apologies but without making the title way too long, that was as succinct as I could make it ?

23 hours ago, jasonvp said:

That's kind of a misconception, at least as far as "drivers" go.  Sure, FreeNAS has a nice UI in the front end, but the back end is still FreeBSD, which is a very powerful NAS operating system without all the neat front-end stuff.  If you're building a NAS, you'll learn a ton more by trying to do it with a raw OS such as one of the Linux distros, or with FreeBSD; obviously the latter has the wonderful ZFS included which is just superb.

FWIW, my NAS is FreeBSD, built entirely on my own.  I didn't have to fight with any "drivers" or any such nonsense; I had it up and running, fully installed and with a new 16TB ZFS RAID10 (meaning 8 4TB drives) in less than 15 minutes total.  The only UI I used: the CLI.

That's fine if you're a tech enthusiast who is making a nas for the learning experience and "for fun". But I dare say that most are not doing that at all. 

Personally, I would never use FreeBSD over FreeNAS, because I spend all day being a tech. When I use stuff at home, I often prefer a simpler more straight forward product. 

You can say CLI is easy if you are following a guide, and for us techs? Sure. No problem. For regular people? Not so much. Even if they can follow a guide, it's daunting and intimidating. Products should be designed for ease of use for general consumption. 

For or those who want to play around and experiment and learn? BSD and Linux exist. They can go nuts. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

What a bummer. I just migrated everything to Corrals and finally have it running smoothly.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

14 hours ago, BYOGamingPC said:

What a bummer. I just migrated everything to Corrals and finally have it running smoothly.

To be fair, it'll still continue to work, there's just no major development on it anymore.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/4/2017 at 8:47 PM, BYOGamingPC said:

Same here......