Help Deciding Best CPU For Me

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a new PC and was wondering which set up would be better:

-  i7-7700 + ASUS Maximus IX CODE

- i7-6800 + ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING (I know it needs a BIOS Update)

My set up would be primarily for gaming however i will do mild content creation (some editing in AE and mild C4D work for school projects). Additionally, if there are any better suggestion you have i would love to hear it. Current budget is about $2300 USD, including the GTX 1080 i plan on using.

Thank you for the assistance.

Just now, jaysangwan32 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a new PC and was wondering which set up would be better:

-  i7-7700 + ASUS Maximus IX CODE

- i7-6800 + ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING (I know it needs a BIOS Update)

My set up would be primarily for gaming however i will do mild content creation (some editing in AE and mild C4D work for school projects). Additionally, if there are any better suggestion you have i would love to hear it. Current budget is about $2300 USD, including the GTX 1080 i plan on using.

Thank you for the assistance.

Ryzen 7 1700 + X370 

Go for Ryzen 7 1700 and put the extra budget into a GTX 1080 Ti. Games and C4D/After Effects will make good use of improved GPU.

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Ryzen 7 1700 + X370 

1 minute ago, Kommanche said:

Go for Ryzen 7 1700 and put the extra budget into a GTX 1080 Ti. Games and C4D/After Effects will make good use of improved GPU.

I was considering the Ryzen 7, however I thought I may benefit from the faster single core speed of the 7700 (I spend literally all my time playing Overwatch and CSGO lol) as opposed to the little content creation I do on the side. I'm not typically rendering at massive file sizes (my school typically likes 1080p or 1440p at largest). Would Ryzen 1700 still be wise? Thank you for the responses by the way!

Just now, jaysangwan32 said:

I was considering the Ryzen 7, however I thought I may benefit from the faster single core speed of the 7700 (I spend literally all my time playing Overwatch and CSGO lol) as opposed to the little content creation I do on the side. I'm not typically rendering at massive file sizes (my school typically likes 1080p or 1440p at largest). Would Ryzen 1700 still be wise? Thank you for the responses by the way!

Well then get a 7700k, no reason to go 6800k

well if you don't want to go with high end mobos (x370) and go with b350 will be wise for its price b350 still offers enthusiast features overclocking etc. bot that x370 isn't good or smth but idk if it's worh the price premium. you can decide if its worth it for you as you have different needs to mine. 

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T |Asus M4A88T-M |A-DATA 8 GB(4x2) @1333|Asus R7 360 2G OC|Asus TA-M1|Hitachi 7211 1TB|Fortron 460W|Windows 10 pro 64

2 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Well then get a 7700k, no reason to go 6800k

Okay I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the help!