Burning blu ray backups for plex server

So you ripped blu-rays into your plex server and you want to create backups of the content? Just use an e-hdd?

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Got a e hdd at the moment, but one of my other e hdd messed up after a massive storm. So I was looking into make a disc copy as well to prevent this happening again.

From what I learned this is not a good idea: Blu-ray disks will cost you a lot and will get corrupted with time (need scientific source to support).

A friend of mine is doing exactly the reverse of that: ripping a massive amount of Blu-rays and DVDs to a RAID server for them not to get ever lost.

So, RAID1 (or 5) and possibly out-of-site backup if you're really paranoid.

[Insert smart comment here]

14 hours ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Got a e hdd at the moment, but one of my other e hdd messed up after a massive storm. So I was looking into make a disc copy as well to prevent this happening again.

If you already own the physical copies of the Blu-Ray discs, then this is a bad plan.

You have a "backup" of the disc already on your Plex Server - if you're worried about the Plex Server crashing and you losing the data, you should back up that data to another drive or system.

As others have mentioned: External HDD backup would be ideal. If the External HDD dies on you unexpectedly? Well, just replace it, like you'd do with anything else. Especially if it's still under warranty.

The odds of both the External HDD dying AND your Plex Server losing all the data at the same time? Pretty damn astronomical. Most things that would cause that may well destroy the house and any physical backup discs you burn anyway.

Just use an External HDD, or buy a small 2-Bay RAID1 mirror NAS if you're extra paranoid.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Factory DVDs are perma-burned and last a long time iirc about 15 years, 20 at most.

Self burned DVDs deteriorate over time and have life span of about 5-10 years if untouched. 

My dad and I looked into this for long term storage and found a few article and papers that back this up. Unfortunately I cant link as it has been a number of years since I did the search and I do not remember.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Factory DVDs are perma-burned and last a long time iirc about 15 years, 20 at most.

Self burned DVDs deteriorate over time and have life span of about 5-10 years if untouched. 

My dad and I looked into this for long term storage and found a few article and papers that back this up. Unfortunately I cant link as it has been a number of years since I did the search and I do not remember.

If you're looking at long term archiving, look at M-Disc - they have Blu-Ray discs as well. The basic concept is that the actual write layer in them is made out of essentially stone - they will supposedly last up to 100 years, as per simulations and lab testing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

If you're looking at long term archiving, look at M-Disc - they have Blu-Ray discs as well. The basic concept is that the actual write layer in them is made out of essentially stone - they will supposedly last up to 100 years, as per simulations and lab testing.

Ya those came out later after we did our research. We use home and offsite backup servers back up at this point so there is no need. [essentially we back up to our own and each other's servers at each others houses]

Thanks for that info though I will remember to pass it on.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

18 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

First, let's make one thing clear, commercially produced CD, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs are not 'perma-burned' or burned in any way.  They are pressed in a factory.  A master is made out of a piece of glass with a laser engraving the data into that glass.  This glass master is used as a die.  The discs are basically created the same way you'd made a coin or a vinyl record.  The data layer is encased in two layers of injection molded poly-carbonate and this is an extremely stable way to store data.  Obviously though for writable media, there are other considerations since you need a medium inside the poly-carbonate that can be written to using an optical drive's laser instead of requiring an entire factory to put data onto a disc, and this leaves them with much shorter lifespans.

Assuming there are no manufacturing defects, the likes of which plagued LaserDiscs and some earlier CDs (And some produced in recent history or today, never discount a factory's ability to screw up), and stable environmental conditions, a CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray should last somewhere in the area of 80 to 100 years.  They will basically out live you if you take care of them.  If your movies are stored in the case, at room temperature, they'll last 'forever' or at least until your house burns down or a flood or your mother sells them on Craigslist because she thought they were junk and you thought that mom's basement would be smarter than paying for a storage locker.

35 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

<snippity snip snip>

Nitpicking the technical terms ... Perma-burned was not a term I came up with but used to label the process in the documentary I watched on how these are made. The documentary descried the same process you just did.

But for the sake of and  on behalf of others thanks for the info ... ;) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER