Need help with fixing windows install

xenooooon

Good morning,

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is in the correct location, so I apologize in advance! 

Yesterday I was attempting to fix my  mother's laptop which had some weird windows issue by reinstalling windows. Her computer is very slow so I thought it would be a better idea to connect her hard drive to my desktop (windows 10)  and reinstalling windows there. Somewhere in the process, after making sure I selected the correct drive letter, the computer did its reinstall on my computer..... It didn't format but rather installed windows over my current windows... And left  her drive untouched. I wouldn't have a problem with that if it didn't keep me in a constant boot loop to Windows 7. So what i tried was :

(this is through Windows 7 install disk) 

Windows startup repair. Nope. 

Attempting to chkdsk (I don't know why but still tried)

And install Windows on a partition of that same drive (I don't know how so it didn't work Hehe) 

I was wondering if I could fix that and it's possible solutions. 

What I thought I could try but haven't yet is to get a third drive (clean) download windows 10 online to a flash drive and to install Windows to the empty drive, copy and replace all the windows files from the clean windows 10 drive to the windows 7 drive. Don't know if that would work or if that's bad. So I haven't tried.

Second option is to make a partition on that Windows 7 drive with all my files and download Windows on that partition ( I don't know how to add partitions to an existing drive without formatting it.) 

Please note that I cloned my original drive to another drive as backup. And that I precisely want windows to run from my original drive because I want my files to be there in folders like the user desktop from my old drive ( not only that, documents, pictures, program files etc.) thank you!!! Have a nice day. 

If you have windows on 2 different drives you should select boot order priority in your BIOS. This way you tell the system from which of your drives to boot. Try and report back :P

Btw your original drive should be first in the list. 

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T |Asus M4A88T-M |A-DATA 8 GB(4x2) @1333|Asus R7 360 2G OC|Asus TA-M1|Hitachi 7211 1TB|Fortron 460W|Windows 10 pro 64

It's best to install the new Windows on her laptop, as different/more things may be installed due to hardware differences.

But  @ashMachine's idea should work just fine.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

6 minutes ago, xenooooon said:

Her computer is very slow so I thought it would be a better idea to connect her hard drive to my desktop (windows 10)  and reinstalling windows there.

i would not do this. windows DRM depends on taking a hardware fingerprint.

9 minutes ago, xenooooon said:

It didn't format but rather installed windows over my current windows...

UEFI & hardware finger bitch

Dude you might be able to save you drive. ditch your mums D. do a sys rescue using the win10 media on your pc.

Put your mum's D in her comp and do a sys rescue.

Honestly re-installing is an easy fix but its not always the best because, the simple reason, you have not identified the cause of your problems

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

11 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

It's best to install the new Windows on her laptop, as different/more things may be installed due to hardware differences.

But  @ashMachine's idea should work just fine.

I changed my rig from a dead i3 to an 8350, Windows just installed the new drivers. It worked fine for the few days I was using it before I reinstalled because I didn't quite trust it. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, WashMachine said:

If you have windows on 2 different drives you should select boot order priority in your BIOS. This way you tell the system from which of your drives to boot. Try and report back :P

Btw your original drive should be first in the list. 

Thanks for your help, and other people too, before I came back to read this (sorry for the long delay lol) I tried a couple of things, and found out my boot manager is ... trying to restore instead of defaulting to windows 10 (attched file #1) I didnt see this before because it happened in half a second and I guess I havent payed complete attention to the booting part but rather the long bootloop.
So I apologize, but now this is a different issue~
For some reason my computer is defaulting to the Restore (P.s. my Windows 10 is 100% there and hasnt been replaced by windows 7, sorry for the confusion made by that)

I also attached another screenshot of my BCDEDIT screen in attempt to change or make something a new default. Thank you !

^C5903F2248FCEF52EF548F58FA82EE99D653F05E2E0CC2A055^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg

Capture.PNG

29 minutes ago, xenooooon said:

Thanks for your help, and other people too, before I came back to read this (sorry for the long delay lol) I tried a couple of things, and found out my boot manager is ... trying to restore instead of defaulting to windows 10 (attched file #1) I didnt see this before because it happened in half a second and I guess I havent payed complete attention to the booting part but rather the long bootloop.
So I apologize, but now this is a different issue~
For some reason my computer is defaulting to the Restore (P.s. my Windows 10 is 100% there and hasnt been replaced by windows 7, sorry for the confusion made by that)

I also attached another screenshot of my BCDEDIT screen in attempt to change or make something a new default. Thank you !

^C5903F2248FCEF52EF548F58FA82EE99D653F05E2E0CC2A055^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg

Capture.PNG

You can always wipe the drive in the Windows Installer. Go to cusomoze, and delete all partitions, then reinstall Windows.

Also, in my experience, most PCs made in the W7 era aren't going to be as fast as anything now. If she's got a smart pho ne and wants her PC faster, she pr9bably won't like the factory speed of this PC. May be good time to upgrade?

19 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You can always wipe the drive in the Windows Installer. Go to cusomoze, and delete all partitions, then reinstall Windows.

Also, in my experience, most PCs made in the W7 era aren't going to be as fast as anything now. If she's got a smart pho ne and wants her PC faster, she pr9bably won't like the factory speed of this PC. May be good time to upgrade?

which drive are you talking about?

Unplug unecessery drives and boot your PC then factory reset it. (Installed stuff will be gone but files will stay as they are) Hopefully that will fix your boot partition. 

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T |Asus M4A88T-M |A-DATA 8 GB(4x2) @1333|Asus R7 360 2G OC|Asus TA-M1|Hitachi 7211 1TB|Fortron 460W|Windows 10 pro 64

1 minute ago, WashMachine said:

Unplug unecessery drives and boot your PC then factory reset it. (Installed stuff will be gone but files will stay as they are) Hopefully that will fix your boot partition. 

I only have 1 drive connected now and it still shows the Windows Rollback thing~

4 minutes ago, xenooooon said:

I only have 1 drive connected now and it still shows the Windows Rollback thing~

If it doesn't boot use you intallation drive to repair it. 

2 minutes ago, WashMachine said:

If it doesn't boot use you intallation drive to repair it. 

I think there was confusion that I caused, ill clear it up,
It says I've installed windows 7 so its attempting rollback. but in the bootmngr it defaults to the rollback. if I select the Windows 10 option, my computer loads fine, the only issue I have is when I load my computer, the BootMNGR defaults to the rollback and Im then stuck to a bootloop.
I dont want to factory reset my computer, but I would like to know how do I change the BootMNGR to stop doing its thing, and or to remove the "windows 7 rollback" thing.

I apologize if I sound rude in any way, just frustrated at my own mistakes :P

Thanks for the help by the way~!

6 minutes ago, xenooooon said:

I think there was confusion that I caused, ill clear it up,
It says I've installed windows 7 so its attempting rollback. but in the bootmngr it defaults to the rollback. if I select the Windows 10 option, my computer loads fine, the only issue I have is when I load my computer, the BootMNGR defaults to the rollback and Im then stuck to a bootloop.
I dont want to factory reset my computer, but I would like to know how do I change the BootMNGR to stop doing its thing, and or to remove the "windows 7 rollback" thing.

I apologize if I sound rude in any way, just frustrated at my own mistakes :P

Thanks for the help by the way~!

So by loads fine do you mean it boots to desktop ?

Just now, WashMachine said:

So by loads fine do you mean it boots to desktop ?

Yes, My computer is back to normal, but to get there I need to quickly change the boot manager option every time I boot my computer from ROLLBACK to normal Windows 10.

8 minutes ago, xenooooon said:

Yes, My computer is back to normal, but to get there I need to quickly change the boot manager option every time I boot my computer from ROLLBACK to normal Windows 10.

You might want to try set default OS. 

Open msconfig.exe (using RUN) 
2. Go to 'boot' tab

3.Select the Windows Rollback option from the menu.

4. Delete and reboot PC 

5. Report back :D

Just now, WashMachine said:

You might want to try set default OS. 

Open msconfig.exe (using RUN) 
2. Go to 'boot' tab

3.Select the Windows Rollback option from the menu.

4. Delete and reboot PC 

5. Report back :D

Oh my god~ Lifesaver.
Havent applied changes yet, wanted to show people who might have the same problem on this RARE occasion.
Thank you sooooooo much!!!

I need some of these programs open at the time, so ill restart later, but if I dont respond back here saying it worked, it worked hehe :P

Capture.PNG

4 minutes ago, xenooooon said:

Oh my god~ Lifesaver.
Havent applied changes yet, wanted to show people who might have the same problem on this RARE occasion.
Thank you sooooooo much!!!

I need some of these programs open at the time, so ill restart later, but if I dont respond back here saying it worked, it worked hehe :P

Capture.PNG

Happy to help. :P

Sorry for the extremely late response lol
It worked, so thanks everyone, and WashMachine especially :D !

On 4/11/2017 at 6:44 AM, xenooooon said:

Good morning,

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is in the correct location, so I apologize in advance! 

Yesterday I was attempting to fix my  mother's laptop which had some weird windows issue by reinstalling windows. Her computer is very slow so I thought it would be a better idea to connect her hard drive to my desktop (windows 10)  and reinstalling windows there. Somewhere in the process, after making sure I selected the correct drive letter, the computer did its reinstall on my computer..... It didn't format but rather installed windows over my current windows... And left  her drive untouched. I wouldn't have a problem with that if it didn't keep me in a constant boot loop to Windows 7. So what i tried was :

(this is through Windows 7 install disk) 

Windows startup repair. Nope. 

Attempting to chkdsk (I don't know why but still tried)

And install Windows on a partition of that same drive (I don't know how so it didn't work Hehe) 

I was wondering if I could fix that and it's possible solutions. 

What I thought I could try but haven't yet is to get a third drive (clean) download windows 10 online to a flash drive and to install Windows to the empty drive, copy and replace all the windows files from the clean windows 10 drive to the windows 7 drive. Don't know if that would work or if that's bad. So I haven't tried.

Second option is to make a partition on that Windows 7 drive with all my files and download Windows on that partition ( I don't know how to add partitions to an existing drive without formatting it.) 

Please note that I cloned my original drive to another drive as backup. And that I precisely want windows to run from my original drive because I want my files to be there in folders like the user desktop from my old drive ( not only that, documents, pictures, program files etc.) thank you!!! Have a nice day. 

Windows Looks at hardware during install. If you change hardware Windows wont activate properly. You need to do the install on her laptop. Just have some patients and wait. 

Secondly, you should have disconnected any hard drives in your system. Windows 7 and up have extra partions they need to make, some times they like to put these on other drives in your system. You should always disconnect other drives when doing Installs of an OS. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.