UPS Suggestions?

DimitriBrut
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
3 minutes ago, DimitriBrut said:

I've been looking at UPSes, but I think I'm a little in over my head. The wiring in my house is sort of old and I don't want to ruin my rig when the power drops.

What I'll be running on it: My Rig (in my signature), 2-3 monitors, and possibly a second rig/monitor down the road for my stepson.

Ideally, I'd like to have 30+ minutes of run time just in case. What I really need however, if a UPS with some sort of software that'll shutdown my rig automatically if power isn't restored before the batteries go dead. I don't really have a price range, but let's just say I don't want to go broke on this thing. What are the pros and cons of the 100 dollar units VS the 500 dollar units? I'll consider any suggestions... Thanks guys. 

Your system won't use more than say around 500W, a UPS unit like this would be enough for everything including peripherals and networking equipment. The main difference between professional units are usually the run time (battery capacity) and the quality of the output being pure sinewave and some being able to be network controlled for safe shutdowns. If you plan to have another system it is ideal to have a seperate UPS as it can be hooked up to do a safe shutdown if there is an extended power outage.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp1000pfclcd/

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/Power-Saving-Back-UPS-NS-1080VA/P-BN1080G

I've been looking at UPSes, but I think I'm a little in over my head. The wiring in my house is sort of old and I don't want to ruin my rig when the power drops.

What I'll be running on it: My Rig (in my signature), 2-3 monitors, and possibly a second rig/monitor down the road for my stepson.

Ideally, I'd like to have 30+ minutes of run time just in case. What I really need however, if a UPS with some sort of software that'll shutdown my rig automatically if power isn't restored before the batteries go dead. I don't really have a price range, but let's just say I don't want to go broke on this thing. What are the pros and cons of the 100 dollar units VS the 500 dollar units? I'll consider any suggestions... Thanks guys. 

I wouldn't use two PCs on one UPS. I'd look into either APC or Cyber by looking at what your total power draw is (you can multiply volts and amps to find wattage for monitors and other items while using benchmarks to get a rough estimate of your PC's draw). Most commonly used UPSs are in the 700VA or 800VA (which gives average consumers about 2 minutes to save their work.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, DimitriBrut said:

Your system won't use more than say around 500W, a UPS unit like this would be enough for everything including peripherals and networking equipment. The main difference between professional units are usually the run time (battery capacity) and the quality of the output being pure sinewave and some being able to be network controlled for safe shutdowns. If you plan to have another system it is ideal to have a seperate UPS as it can be hooked up to do a safe shutdown if there is an extended power outage.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp1000pfclcd/

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/Power-Saving-Back-UPS-NS-1080VA/P-BN1080G

8 minutes ago, DimitriBrut said:

I don't want to ruin my rig when the power drops.

Well a power outage won't hurt a pc at all. and bad wiring wont hurt it either.

8 minutes ago, DimitriBrut said:

Ideally, I'd like to have 30+ minutes of run time just in case.

How much power you pulling? with that much power draw, you spending a lot of money on batteries if you want 2 pcs and a few monitors, esp if there a bit older.

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

-

Good information... I'll pick up a second the day I build the extra rig.

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

-

Very helpful, thank you.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

My PC seems to have a rough time recovering when it isn't shut down properly... Takes a few extra minutes to get on its feet. I'd like avoid that

Not sure, I'll have to check that out when I get home.